Best "straps" Or "tie Downs" For Hauling A Bike

DerekClouser

• 2 months later...

i'll check it again later tonight.. but im looking at the pic haha..
correct you do NOT need to rear stand to use the trs... technically you do not need a side stand either..   its easy with 1 person and stupid easy with 2.
once the bike is in your hands. and upright before you roll it into the trs. you need no stands at all..  the trs uses the bikes suspension to take the impacts of the the road as it sits in the trailer.
some people stil may use a tie down on the front wheel for piece of mind but even on  big bumps  our bikes have never moved, and we probably have 3-4000 miles on  the trs

I have an 18' by 102" enclosed trailer and I have tie down points set up for 4 bikes. I use the Pingel removeable wheel chocks, Canyon Dancer bar harnesses and  Ancra straps. I've done it this way  for many years and at least 10 trips to Bike Week in Daytona. I believe the Pingel Wheel Chocks came out in the early to mid 90's and the Canyon Dancer came out in the late 90's. It works well for me. Well enough that I won't pay to change it. If I buy another bike trailer I will possibly upgrade to the Pitbull system.

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/200-794?utm_source=PLAs&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&device=c&network=g&matchtype=&gclid=CPmEn5TvoroCFYg7Mgod9x8AAg

http://www.canyondancer.com/Products.aspx

http://www.bobscycle.com/ancra-quick-strap-tiedown-4500lb-red.html?utm_source=690FGL&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=My+Product+Listing+Ads&gdftrk=gdfV2585_a_7c688_a_7c10165_a_7c580312&gclid=CNjJ94HxoroCFcZAMgodYxQAcw

I've came up with a nice way to strap my bike to the trailer. I cover the front and rear rim with a rag, then wrap a ratchet strap around it and the wheel chock/rail. Then a ratchet strap thru each passenger peg from the furthest front to rear and side to side I can get. Suspension sucks up the bumps and the straps hold it upright.

Condors in our trailer. In a pinch or in the truck just two soft straps and non ratcheting pull straps. Sit on the bike with each strap bounce the bike and pull. Did this in the pouring rain Saturday and worked just fine

strongly disagree.  while properly used ratchet straps are perfectly adequate, the pit-bull TRS is better.

Straps go slack when you hit a bump, and the suspension of the bike compresses.  That can allow them to un-hook.  Furthermore, straps require you to compress the forks for them to be effective. 

The pit-bull TRS cannot accidentally let go, and does not compress the suspension at all.  In fact it allows the bike's suspension to continue to absorb any bumps you hit, which is particularly important when using a trailer that is rated for an 1,100 lbs. payload, when your bike only weighs 400 lbs. or so.

So yeah, ratchet straps will work, and when used properly can be effective 98% of the time ...but none of us wants to have our bike tip over 2% of the time.

yeah but they're $300 frigging dollars.  and don't you have to buy the pins seperate for another $100?

you can actually make one of these out of a few feet of angle iron, a threaded rod for going through the axle, a drill bit and a few bolts and hitch pins.

Edited by serpentracer

yeah but they're $300 frigging dollars.  and don't you have to buy the pins seperate for another $100?

you can actually make one of these out of a few feet of angle iron, a threaded rod for going through the axle, a drill bit and a few bolts and hitch pins.

As was pointed out, you can pick them up for significantly less than $300, and the pins are included.  If you have multiple bikes, I believe the new pins are $80 (although it's not too difficult to find them used)

If you can make your own, definitely do that.  It's not a complicated setup - it's just made much better than I could ever fabricate.  I found it to be well worth the money during the time I owned it.

Not only did it save time loading, and take away any fears of straps giving out, but it saves a TON of space on/in the trailer too.  The picture posted is a great example - there are no straps to step over or load around.  On my open trailer, I used to put my bike very close to the right frame-rail.  I would not have been able to do that with straps, because there wouldn't have been a tie-down point far enough to the right.