Best "straps" Or "tie Downs" For Hauling A Bike

DerekClouser

Looking to buy some straps for my trailer in the event I need to trailer my bike.

I saw some reviews of some not so good straps, but curious what the best would be for the money.

Was thinking about just doing 4 ratchet straps with soft tie down straps for around the bike....

I've used my setup many times with great success. Baxley chock, Canyon Dancer II (but don't bend your helibars like I did one time being in a hurry and not paying attention) and 4 ratchet straps and done. I've also used a Harbor Freight chock I have for some cruisers. Most of my straps I got from Sams Club and I think they are Goodyear brand and a few are from Vatozone I think 

If you want to spend the money get the TRS and no straps needed

I also like the way Pauly does it where he has Condor chock bolted to the trailer and only uses 2 ratchet straps from the frame around the seat area to pull forward towards the chock

Edited by Bad324

My 2 cents.   If you want regular pull straps.   I love my Ancra straps.  You can usually find them on sale. 

I typically hate dealing with ratcheting straps as they are a pain in the butt.   But I was recently given a pair of cargobuckle straps.   They are awesome, easy to use and nice and tidy since they retract the slack when not in use.  

Oh, also, if you don't want to deal with any of it.  I have the pit bull TRS system and it is far and away better than any strap, but not every little bike and scooter has pins for that system.  

Edited by vw151

I also use the trailer for a side landscaping company - can you remove the pitbull TRS from the trailer when not in  use or is a permanent install?

easily removed and all that remains is a small. flat steel plate I believe

This. As long as you know the proper way to use a ratchet strap, there is nothing better.

strongly disagree.  while properly used ratchet straps are perfectly adequate, the pit-bull TRS is better.

Straps go slack when you hit a bump, and the suspension of the bike compresses.  That can allow them to un-hook.  Furthermore, straps require you to compress the forks for them to be effective. 

The pit-bull TRS cannot accidentally let go, and does not compress the suspension at all.  In fact it allows the bike's suspension to continue to absorb any bumps you hit, which is particularly important when using a trailer that is rated for an 1,100 lbs. payload, when your bike only weighs 400 lbs. or so.

So yeah, ratchet straps will work, and when used properly can be effective 98% of the time ...but none of us wants to have our bike tip over 2% of the time.

Okay, let me rephrase that. For those of us who don't have lawyer money, property used ratchet straps work just fine. :)

I've been hauling motorcycles for years without any fancy who ha. Just properly used ratchet straps. Ask anyone who has seen me haul five bikes on a 12 foot long trailer to the gap whether it works or not. The problem with ratchet straps is, 98% of the people don't know how to use them correctly.

What everyone else said. This just reminded me of what i seen the other day.

Some dude at the gas station with a tricked out chopper on a trailer that looked like he had spend some good money buying or building it. Then i noticed the only thing holding it to the trailer was a couple Harbor Frieght/ Big Lots type straps. You know the  1" wide blue paper thin pull straps that maybe have a 100lb. load rating. Just shook my head and kept walking.

do not use harbor frieght straps on anything!  specifically those 1" wide neon orange ones.  I kept a set in my car for the longest time "just in case" and decided to use one to hold a ramp on my trailer.  Second trip and 4th time using the strap the seam at the loop broke.  Didn't realize till I was home, but luckily the ramp made it. 

Okay, let me rephrase that. For those of us who don't have lawyer money, property used ratchet straps work just fine. :)

I've been hauling motorcycles for years without any fancy who ha. Just properly used ratchet straps. Ask anyone who has seen me haul five bikes on a 12 foot long trailer to the gap whether it works or not. The problem with ratchet straps is, 98% of the people don't know how to use them correctly.

hahahaha "lawyer money!"  the average attorney starts $45k in Cleveland. That is pretty reflexive of my wage, but I don't have benefits or PTO, and my loan payments are pretty substantial.  Less than 10% of law school graduates are making "lawyer money" in the sense that most people think of it.

but yes, straps are usually fine when used properly.  high quality (climbing grade) locking carabiners can eliminate the slacking issue I mentioned in my prior post.  That, in combination with a second set of straps (relatively) loosely secured to the rear passenger peg brackets can act as an effective backup for virtually any situation.  

I bought a 4-pack of 10' straps from Walmart for $24 5 or 6 years ago, and they still work great.   If i have any complaint, it is that they are usually longer than i need.  They're probably rated for 2,000 lbs. apiece, so I can theoretically secure 4 bikes per strap.

hahahaha "lawyer money!" the average attorney starts $45k in Cleveland. That is pretty reflexive of my wage, but I don't have benefits or PTO, and my loan payments are pretty substantial. Less than 10% of law school graduates are making "lawyer money" in the sense that most people think of it.

Joking brotha, joking.

We have STS stands.  We probably would have gotten the Pitbull stands but we got a smoking deal on the STS. Anyway, they are awesome. If you can swing it, go strapless.

BTW - I have two axle bar kits for Suzuki's if anybody is interested.

Mary

i use harbor freight chock and harbor freight straps. 5 years of track days and racing, no problems so far.

TRS is nice and other options mentioned are too, and i'd buy one if i saw them for cheap... but imo, are not worth what they charge.  harbor freight straps and chock is approx $50 when you use their coupons and have been solid for me.  that said, i'm a cheap ass, so take that all with a grain of salt.

• Upvote 1

We have STS stands. We probably would have gotten the Pitbull stands but we got a smoking deal on the STS. Anyway, they are awesome. If you can swing it, go strapless.

BTW - I have two axle bar kits for Suzuki's if anybody is interested.

Mary

I have one also,

It works pretty good after I added my own touch to the axle bar.

Oh,and I can make different size axle bars at a fraction of the STS price.

Harbor freight Orange straps are 400lb working load. A good set will be 1000lb plus. I used harbor freight chock and 4 good straps to haul my 750lb C14 (with loaded luggage) to Colorado and back no problems, that was 3000 round trip with a detour through South Dakota

sent via GS3

I personally use the Pitbull TRS  for both track bikes and now the Ducs when in the trailer.. when in the truck bed I use  CargoBuckles.  self ratcheting  tie downs and  fork straps as to not pull on the bars.. this in my mind now is less than ideal but better than the alternatives

I agree that Ancra are the best brand. I use two ratchets to the passenger pegs and two cambuckles with a Canyon Dancer. Works great. Never had an issue.

However, as others have said, Strapless is best. I have fairly expensive suspension on my track bike and don't care to compress it for hours at a time. Also, the PitBull doesn't care if you have a flat tire. AND, as soon as you roll into the hooks you're done

I use the 4 strap method on ours. But I strap it to where most of the compressed load is taken at the passenger pegs so I only need to lightly draw on the forks. Learned the hard way only strapping bikes at the forks with a blown seal. Got our straps at Home Depot. Pretty stout build and have worked great, 500lb load rate each and cost around $40/set.

I'd love to have a pair of Condors or TRS on the trailer, but funding that is a different story

Edited by Hellmutt

Pretty sure there's a perfect way to do this, but I used to drive a pick-up with lift and pick up bikes for shop repair. Basically six to eight bikes would fit in the bed, with any old strap, two each, tied down anywhere possible. Never had a problem. Back-in-that-day, most bikes weren't over 450cc.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.