5k For Mods ..but Where To Start???

Rocco675r

Here's the bike I recently bought. Now I've set some cash aside to modify this bitch. Full exhaust is on order but then i'm wondering in what direction I should head next.  Goal is to be track ready next summer. Any advise will be appreciated!post-17376-0-07984500-1377094221_thumb.j

Thanks!

In my eyes I feel the bike is pretty solid and wont need much. The full exhaust , New wheels and tires , and some Track Fairings is a start.All upgrades will be for performance on the track NO neons and shit like that. Ive already started ordering all my gear for both street and track. But just wanted to focus this all on the bike. 

What exhaust did you purchase?  If you're getting an exhaust you'll need a fuel management system on top of that as well.

That bike is very good off the floor, really doesn't need much at all.

Edited by RidersDiscount

Suspension.  The fairings would be a good idea also.  Probably need rearsets and clip-ons.  The OEM stuff is really expensive and usually lower and will drag (rearsets) once you get to speed or have a weird riding style...

I would also consider mapping.  Heard they are somewhat better with a great map setup - which is usually the case with all bikes, but I think you are limited on the Triumph?  Maybe Tune Boy has something now?  I'd ask Rider's Discount as they build them or Gary Medley as he does the Apex bikes.

I also heard there is a plate for the tranny that is a severe weak point on the bike and the warranty will cover it, but there is a shortage of parts for the tranny warranties right now...

Should learn to outride it's stock capability before dumping 5k into it. That is unless you're talking like neon lights and Mazda horns kinda mods.

If you need to dump 5k into a new bike, prolly should've picked a different bike :dunno:

This is a very valid point.  However, Toddski - there are those that have the means to spend money on their toys and he may want to do so.  There are several guys in the Intermediate group for example that have better bikes than most AMA Supersport or DSB bikes...  Doesn't mean they should stay stock until they blow through the components...  Just sayin.  You know I love you like a fat kid loves cake.

• Upvote 1

What exhaust did you purchase?  If you're getting an exhaust you'll need a fuel management system on top of that as well.

That bike is very good off the floor, really doesn't need much at all.

As you know for these bikes there weren't a lot of options for the full systems. But I went ahead a got Akrapovic ...so fuel management next?

This is a very valid point.  However, Toddski - there are those that have the means to spend money on their toys and he may want to do so.  There are several guys in the Intermediate group for example that have better bikes than most AMA Supersport or DSB bikes...  Doesn't mean they should stay stock until they blow through the components...  Just sayin.  You know I love you like a fat kid loves cake.

He does have a valid point. This is still all in the prep stage here and i'm hoping to get about 4 more weeks on this stock bike before locking her up for the winter. At that point all the mods will be ready and waiting to be put on. I also do have the means to keep tweaking this bike into perfection. It will be done slowly but the right way.

Hope you talked to TJ before buying an exhaust at retail!!  

Talk to me or TJ before committing to purchase anything next to make sure you are getting the absolute best price on these products

Edited by RidersDiscount
  • Upvote 1

Hope you talked to TJ before buying an exhaust at retail!!  

Talk to TJ before committing to purchase anything next to make sure you are getting the absolute best price on these products.

Sorry, pretty new to this community .. I don't know TJ

Awesome part about triumphs, you can buy the full exhaust then use TuneECU and a $20 OBDII-USB cable from amazon to reflash your own ECU with whatever tune you desire. They have ready-to-go tunes for the 2012 675R on the TuneECU website with any combination of slip on, full exhaust, airbox, etc.

It'd cost you $20, and about an hour start to finish if you're somewhat tech savvy and read the tutorials first.

Edited by Rctaylor

If I had that triumph I would buy a beat ass track bike for 4k and use the other 1k on beer.

Was talking to a guy at mid-o, he had an aprillia that was wrecked during a trackday and insurance co totaled it w full coverage. He bought it back and made a dedicated track bike out of it. he said he was pretty happy with the way it worked out.

I'd get it in writing from the insurance company first, but it didn't sound too bad really.

If the bike doesn't already have them I'd install braided brake lines and get the best brake pads you can find for the riding you want to do. All the other stuff you want to do sounds great and I'm not knocking any of your plansbut I look at hot rodding a bike the same as I look at flying; take offs are optional but landings are mandatory (once you're up you're gonna come down and it's up to you as to how pretty that will be) On a bike speed is great but if you can't stop or turn you're gonna have issues. My vote is to make the brakes and suspension the best you can for your weight and riding style. These two things will giive you better lap times than pure horsepower on any day and any road course.

• Upvote 2

Assuming you have gear, really good gear, I would buy track fairings and tires. Then suspension and brakes. Not a penny on HP. Rear sets if needed. Shorter pegs may do the trick. I've never ridden your bike so I don't know how good the ground clearance is. Better suspension will help. Everyone likes to buy shit that they don't need or can't utilize. Spend the rest on lessons and track time.