New "little" Buddy For The Family

bigd

Cute pup but you should have gotten MT's pooch

Yeah, wanted the kids to have the full puppy experience. And we're a dane family - lost our last one about 3 years ago, which none of the kids remember, it was time to add another dane to the family.

Meet Otis. 8 week old Dane. My kids first puppy. Excited to have another dog in the house.

Awwwww does he have a name yet?

Don't mind her, she is too hopped up on the prospect of non-stop mile high lady boy action to read the first 2 words of your op Edited by jbot
  • Upvote 2

Haha as soon as I read the thread title, I knew it was a Dane.

They're awesome dogs. I have met 4 or 5 of them at the daycare our rescue works with. They are all such sweethearts. Sometimes total pussies. "Dirk" was my favorite. By far the tallest Dane I have ever met, and also the most mellow.

Other dogs would get into a tiff (which usually sends the pack swarming), and Dirk would be running the other way.

I was in charge of the grill for a fund raiser, and Dirk's head was level with or above everyone's plate. We may as well have water-boarded the poor dog, but he never took a crumb.

I told the wife I want to get a puppy when our daughter turns 4 (my earliest memories are when I was 3 or 4), and she said "you can do that ...if you want the kids to visit the puppy on weekends!" She's a real comedian.

Cute puppy!

Make sure you feed him large breed puppy food. I just went through this with my two golden retrievers that are now 23 weeks. I found this article very interesting It was written for Goldens but has some really good information backed up with research. 

blue wilderness has a large breed food made with bison, venison, and a few other proteins...all grain-free high quality food....pricey though...my guy loves the stuff though (although i feed a different flavor to him, since he isnt really a "large" breed to me...i just feed regular blue wilderness)

Haha as soon as I read the thread title, I knew it was a Dane.

They're awesome dogs. I have met 4 or 5 of them at the daycare our rescue works with. They are all such sweethearts. Sometimes total pussies. "Dirk" was my favorite. By far the tallest Dane I have ever met, and also the most mellow.

Other dogs would get into a tiff (which usually sends the pack swarming), and Dirk would be running the other way.

I was in charge of the grill for a fund raiser, and Dirk's head was level with or above everyone's plate. We may as well have water-boarded the poor dog, but he never took a crumb.

I told the wife I want to get a puppy when our daughter turns 4 (my earliest memories are when I was 3 or 4), and she said "you can do that ...if you want the kids to visit the puppy on weekends!" She's a real comedian.

totally awesome dogs. I think its something about the size...they just don't care about all the little squabbles. We were members at a dog park thing with our last dane and all these little ankle biters would try to start crap, and she'd just ignore. Except this one fluff covered turd wouldn't leave her alone. The only time in 8 years I ever saw her bark in anger. HOLY HELL. That fluff ball ran like the dickens and I just about did too. There's a reason they're mellow. They'd be damn intimidating if anything else. :) 

Btw, our youngest kids are 4 (twins) and they are loving every second so far of Otis. I think this age is going to be the perfect choice.

blue wilderness has a large breed food made with bison, venison, and a few other proteins...all grain-free high quality food....pricey though...my guy loves the stuff though (although i feed a different flavor to him, since he isnt really a "large" breed to me...i just feed regular blue wilderness)

My wife is actually considering making our own food for the guy. I'm not too sure about this idea - so if anyone has any thoughts on it let me know. She's been doing some reading up, and you can actually end up saving some money and also get to know the protein quality (chicken/turkey/whatever) that goes into the grub. Anyway, interested to hear if anyone knows anything about this.

• Upvote 1

My wife is actually considering making our own food for the guy. I'm not too sure about this idea - so if anyone has any thoughts on it let me know. She's been doing some reading up, and you can actually end up saving some money and also get to know the protein quality (chicken/turkey/whatever) that goes into the grub. Anyway, interested to hear if anyone knows anything about this.

I have heard of people going to SAMs or Costco and stalking up on the meats they have as the weekly special and freezing it to use at a later date. Just keep in contact with your vet to make sure he gets the right nutrients. If you add some fish oil to it his coat will be all nice and shinny.

Blue Wilderness is great but for my pup it didn't work out so well. Nastiest black tar looking and consistency poops and the worst farts I've ever been exposed too :lol:

I have a friend that buys meat that people seemed to forget about in their freezers or from stores that  past the sell date. Her dogs eat everything from deer to prime rib LOL.  It works for her but I think its too much work. 

I do know that feeding Danes healthy food and following the slow grow program can add years to the puppy's life. 

here is something else to check out

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com

Edited by c7fx

The premium dog foods are free of fillers (grains) and by-products that can cause allergies. However, you have to watch the amount of protien in the foods. Some of the Bison versions can be as high as 35% protien which is great if your dog is a field dog or is very, very active. However, if the dog is more of a house dog, you want to make sure the protien is in the 24% or lower. Protien is like rocket fuel for dogs and can cause weight gain.

We have had good luck with Taste of the Wild - lamb for our Brittany who was having allergy issues (i.e. scratching herself all the time).

Best part of using the premium foods is that she tends to eat less and the volume of poo is less. So, it seems to help compensate for the higher cost of the food and I don't mind smaller pickups in the yard.

Congrats on the new pup. Danes are very prone to cancer. We lost our last Dane to osteosarcoma, or bone cancer. We always fed him high end large breed food. We should have been feeding him a high protein diet. Our new Dane only gets an all animal protein diet and he is super healthy. Posted Image