State Trooper Rear Ends Motorcycle ( With Video)

fox_racing_guy

I want to see that trooper's texting activity.

Absolutely zero excuse for that.  Don't fire him, because mistakes are made.  But he needs to be sent on remedial driver training, get ACDA and reckless op tickets, be put on probation with the dept (any further driving infraction = bye bye job)  Also the police dept should pay for all damages without a moment's pause.

• Upvote 4

Ouch.

People who don't pay attention are going to kill people. People who are attentive, but ignorant, may accidentally kill someone.

Drive or ride down the road and speed (or not) ... and you may kill someone.

Ignore a stop sign ... you may kill someone.

Blow a red light ... you may kill someone.

Pass on the right ... you may kill someone.

... or not.

Safety first and hope all survive is all anyone asks. (I'm guilty of all the above ... and lucky to never be involved with injuring anyone)

Absolutely zero excuse for that.  Don't fire him, because mistakes are made.  But he needs to be sent on remedial driver training, get ACDA and reckless op tickets, be put on probation with the dept (any further driving infraction = bye bye job)  Also the police dept should pay for all damages without a moment's pause.

No...he should definitely be fired. It's, literally, his job to uphold the law. Failing to do so in his own life should be met with harsh penalty.

maybe he fell asleep

I considered that, especially since you can see him drift into the next lane and then around within his lane, but if he was asleep when he was approaching and impacting the riders, he was doing an amazing job staying in the lane...

If it came out that he was texting while driving then yes, I want him fired, criminal charges for involuntary vehicular assault, as well as a civil suit for both him directly and the OSHP.

These guys have hanged felonies around "civilian's" necks for making mistakes not half as worse as this, if they can't uphold the standard they enforce then they have no business being on the job.

If, however, it came out that he fell asleep, I have infinitely more sympathy and understanding, and for that the victim's bills should be paid, the option for a civil claim is still on the table as is their right, the cop should be off the road for a while, but I see no reason why he should be forced to step down from his job.

• Upvote 3

If, however, it came out that he fell asleep, I have infinitely more sympathy and understanding, and for that the victim's bills should be paid, the option for a civil claim is still on the table as is their right, the cop should be off the road for a while, but I see no reason why he should be forced to step down from his job.

How's that fair? If I fell asleep at my job, I'd certainly be fired...

No excuses for falling asleep on the job.

How's that fair? If I fell asleep at my job, I'd certainly be fired...

No excuses for falling asleep on the job.

Excuses?  No, there aren't.  However, it's an honest mistake that I'm willing to bet most of us made at one time or another, in this case the cop got burned on it.  Given what little I know about his record, there doesn't seem to me to be a lot of reason to toss this guy out for it.  Re-training fine, protracted probation with desk duty fine.

Progressive desciple unfortunately will not allow this trooper to be fired. If DPS (employer) attempts to fire it will certainly go through arbitration. The arbitor normally cites progressive discipline.

Most likely what will happen is the trooper will be given a suspension, one to five days without pay, desk duty and some retraining.

Administrative investigations usually take 6-8 months. So don't expect his head on a spike anytime soon.

Excuses?  No, there aren't.  However, it's an honest mistake that I'm willing to bet most of us made at one time or another, in this case the cop got burned on it.  Given what little I know about his record, there doesn't seem to me to be a lot of reason to toss this guy out for it.  Re-training fine, protracted probation with desk duty fine.

ABSOLUTE nonsense. If you fall asleep on the job, in pretty much *any* profession...you're let go. If you not paying attention causes something about your position to fail...you'd be let go.

If I went into a meeting with a customer and then we failed to get the contract because I was playing on my phone, asleep, or plain not paying attention...I'd be fired. So it should be for a law enforcement officer that *RAN INTO SOMEBODY WHILE DRIVING*

ABSOLUTE nonsense. If you fall asleep on the job, in pretty much *any* profession...you're let go. If you not paying attention causes something about your position to fail...you'd be let go.

If I went into a meeting with a customer and then we failed to get the contract because I was playing on my phone, asleep, or plain not paying attention...I'd be fired. So it should be for a law enforcement officer that *RAN INTO SOMEBODY WHILE DRIVING*

I fall asleep at my desk every once in a while - usually due to a recent all-nighter at work.  Boss has caught me a time or two.  It happens.  I figure out how much time I lost and add that to the end of my work day.  When it's the boss who caught me he always remind me there is a "nap room" in the building and tell me to take a 30 minute nap.

The only guy I knew who got fired for blowing a sales meeting was because he was playing with a small toy car, driving it up his arm and giggling to himself.  Turns out he was on something.  Boom, gone.

The rest of us seem to have more understanding bosses.

Unless they show he was acting in bad faith I say he gets some disciplinary action but not fired.  If you really need to have him off the road then put him on walking the beat / bicycle cop or put him in corrections or other non-driving role.  There's always options.  You don't throw people away for a mistake.