State Trooper Rear Ends Motorcycle ( With Video)

fox_racing_guy

If it came out that he was texting while driving then yes, I want him fired, criminal charges for involuntary vehicular assault, as well as a civil suit for both him directly and the OSHP.

These guys have hanged felonies around "civilian's" necks for making mistakes not half as worse as this, if they can't uphold the standard they enforce then they have no business being on the job.

If, however, it came out that he fell asleep, I have infinitely more sympathy and understanding, and for that the victim's bills should be paid, the option for a civil claim is still on the table as is their right, the cop should be off the road for a while, but I see no reason why he should be forced to step down from his job.

If he was texting then charge him like a civilian.  That would likely end his career, but that's on his shoulders IF HE WAS TEXTING.

If he fell asleep then I agree hsi actions were not in bad faith.  He should still be charged with the offenses he committed, but they are not career-ending.

I fall asleep at my desk every once in a while - usually due to a recent all-nighter at work.  Boss has caught me a time or two.  It happens.  I figure out how much time I lost and add that to the end of my work day.  When it's the boss who caught me he always remind me there is a "nap room" in the building and tell me to take a 30 minute nap.

Different careers are held to different standards.  I have no problem firing a police officer for falling asleep driving. 

IF HE WAS TEXTING, he should get DOUBLE the punishment, compared to a civilian.

I hope the police department does right by these bikers.

• Upvote 1

Different careers are held to different standards. I have no problem firing a police officer for falling asleep driving.

IF HE WAS TEXTING, he should get DOUBLE the punishment, compared to a civilian.

I hope the police department does right by these bikers.

They won't. The pigs protect each other. They cover everything up. Google "David Bissard" it took 3 years for blood evidence to be allowed in court. After the other pigs hid his alcohol laden blood in a property room with no refrigeration. Edited by zx3vfr
  • Downvote 1

After reading more articles, I read OSP said the video was not released because the prosecution was working on the case. Seems odd that when a normal citizen has a video of them committing a crime it sure gets out to the news media very quickly.

If that was also the case, it is very very clear he committed vehicular assault. Seems to me that's enough at least to issue an arrest warrant. But whatever nothing will happen to this officer

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2013-02-27/news/fl-boynton-attempted-cop-murder-20130227_1_boynton-beach-police-motorcycle-officer-motorcycle-cop

Who knows if the guy really was trying to run into the cop, but none the less attempted murder for normal citizens.

Edited by zx3vfr

I fall asleep at my desk every once in a while - usually due to a recent all-nighter at work.  Boss has caught me a time or two.  It happens.  I figure out how much time I lost and add that to the end of my work day.  When it's the boss who caught me he always remind me there is a "nap room" in the building and tell me to take a 30 minute nap.

We have a "quiet room" at work too, for just that kind of thing, but where the case could be made that it's excusable at a desk...it definitely isn't while operating a vehicle. If a civilian falls asleep at the wheel and does something like this they throw the book at him. It's not as if you just get off from the charges because you were asleep...he should still be fired.

One of the tenets of being a police officer is actually being awake and paying attention while on duty. He obviously failed at that task.

We have a "quiet room" at work too, for just that kind of thing, but where the case could be made that it's excusable at a desk...it definitely isn't while operating a vehicle. If a civilian falls asleep at the wheel and does something like this they throw the book at him. It's not as if you just get off from the charges because you were asleep...he should still be fired.

One of the tenets of being a police officer is actually being awake and paying attention while on duty. He obviously failed at that task.

I agree he should be treated like a civilian - but, if a civilian did this they wouldn't even lose their license.  It'd be a charge of "Full Time And Attention" and a hefty insurance payout to the riders.  Loss of license comes with intentional acts like OVI.

Bear in mind that driving is not the only thing this officer can do - there are non-driving roles that the officer can be moved/demoted to.  Even if you don't want him driving, firing him goes beyond what is needed to keep him off the road and becomes punitive / revenge.  I predict a suspension followed by desk duty and probably driver retraining.

Edited by Scruit

Still no word of charges filed. Not even sighted for reckless opp. Makes me wonder if the couple is planning on making bank. My angsty anti police side say, oh I hope they do. My libertarian side says, fuh its coming out of tax payer funded legal funds.

If I'm driving my company vehicle and RUN OVER ANOTHER VEHICLE, I'm loosing my job. No questions asked. How is his situation any different just because he's a state trooper?

Because police are better and better protected from that. They are the almighty knowing and end all to end all of laws. If you question police you should be shot on sight. If you're carrying a weapon you should be executed....

If I'm driving my company vehicle and RUN OVER ANOTHER VEHICLE, I'm loosing my job. No questions asked. How is his situation any different just because he's a state trooper?

I don't believe people get automatically fired for crashing a company vehicle.  I believe the individual accidents are judged based upon the actions (good faith or bad faith) of the driver, and the insurability of the driver (The impact that the accident and any ticket would have in their driving record)

Running into the rear end of a motorcycle when there is zero excuse for not seeing them, then how he reacted after stopping seems to be one of those instances where the punishment would be on the extreme side, not on the 'slap on the hand' side.

Seems most business insurances would quite possibly want to drop coverage on an employee driver if the employee  caused a wreck like that.  If the state steps up like they should, the cash pay out is going to be pretty high.

This is one of those cases, imho, where the employer should not be held accountable, as long as they handle the disciplinary side according to their employee handbook procedures.  All the costs associated to cover the victims total costs should be borne by the guilty party.

Edited by ohiomike

I don't believe people get automatically fired for crashing a company vehicle. I believe the individual accidents are judged based upon the actions (good faith or bad faith) of the driver, and the insurability of the driver (The impact that the accident and any ticket would have in their driving record)

You obviously don't work for my company. You crash the truck, you're gone. It's not up to your belief system.

You run over a motorcycle traveling down open freeway? Well...better get a lawyer. The company isn't going to provide one.

• Upvote 1

I worked for a company that had this "technician" that was the most irresponsible kid I've ever worked with. He was a nice kid and super friendly, but he didn't handle responsibility too well. I watched him crash more than one exotic superbike on test rides because he pretended he was Rossi, but only had the skills of Hayden. The employer never got rid of him and payed out the nose for insurance coverage. Not the best decision makers.. either of them.

When I worked for a Ford dealer, some kid who wasn't to bright used vacuum line to run a new fuel line, obviously didn't tell anyone. I was on 76 at 70mph test driving after he was done because it obviously didn't fix the issue, and I was trying to figure it out and well it blew apart after a couple minutes and I was rear ended and had to go through 4 months of physical therapy to be able to move my head more than 2" left or right. Not to mention the totaled mustang that hit me and the f150 I was driving. The kid gone with his tool box by the time I got back a few hours later from a trip to the ER.

When I worked for a Ford dealer, some kid who wasn't to bright used vacuum line to run a new fuel line, obviously didn't tell anyone. I was on 76 at 70mph test driving after he was done because it obviously didn't fix the issue, and I was trying to figure it out and well it blew apart after a couple minutes and I was rear ended and had to go through 4 months of physical therapy to be able to move my head more than 2" left or right. Not to mention the totaled mustang that hit me and the f150 I was driving. The kid gone with his tool box by the time I got back a few hours later from a trip to the ER.

Vacuum line instead of fuel line?  Yikes.  Was it done as in intentional short-cut?

You obviously don't work for my company. You crash the truck, you're gone. It's not up to your belief system.

You run over a motorcycle traveling down open freeway? Well...better get a lawyer. The company isn't going to provide one.

You'd need to hire your own lawyer for any criminal charges, but I'm struggling to understand the concept behind an insurer refusing to hire a lawyer to defend against a civil judgement.  Any payout comes from the insurance on the vehicle - it is purely in the insurer's interests to vigorously defend any claim.  If they refuse a lawyer then THEY most likely wind up paying out more.

Insurance even covers accidents as a result of illegal driving.  In fact, all accidents are the result of someone doing something illegal, right?  Failure to yield, failure to obey a traffic control device, failure to slow to avoid an accident.  Insurance covers accidents caused by OVI and reckless operation too.  The only thing insurance won't cover is *intentional" damage.  If I get drunk and go drag racing down a street and crash, insurance will cover the crash, because the crash itself was not intentional, ergo, an accident.  If I go out, 100% sober, and intentionally drive my car into parked car, then that is NOT covered, and it was an intentional act.

Now, if they want to can your ass right afterwards, sure, that's their choice.  Some companies do, some companies don't.  Most companies would make the best call for the company rather than actively punishing or protecting the employee.    High employee-turnover companies that can replace you in a heartbeat will likely kick your ass out the door instantly.  For a place that would pay a boatload of money to replace you (think certifications / training / experience etc) they would have to "cut their own nose off to spite their face."    If it costs them $1k in extra premiums to keep you, or $30k to train a replacement, what do YOU think they would do?

Dude? WTF can I tell you? :dunno: the company policy is the policy.

I never said the insurance company wouldn't hire a lawyer to defend the company. I said if I ran over a motorcyclist in the company truck the company is not going to defend me I will have to hire my own lawyer.

Believe me, they are going to cover their own ass and not mine.

Edited by max power

Dude? WTF can I tell you? :dunno: the company policy is the policy.

I never said the insurance company wouldn't hire a lawyer to defend the company. I said if I ran over a motorcyclist in the company truck the company is not going to defend me I will have to hire my own lawyer.

Believe me, they are going to cover their own ass and not mine.

Legally speaking you aren't responsible if you commit an accident in a company vehicle while doing something for a company, as long as the company is incorporated (LLC, Inc., Non-Profit). That's the main purpose of being incorporated is it protects the owners and workers in the event something happens on a personal level.

• 1 month later...