Trying To Get A Feel For This Place...

Little Al

Can't we all just get along?  I don't care what you ride, just ride.  I don't want to buy a can-am but I don't have any opinion (good or bad) about anyone who does.

Can Ams are an interesting concept aimed at people who don't want to ride two wheels for whatever reason.  I'm fine with that as long as they are not led to believe that they are better protected in a crash.  

- The biggest pro to a bike over a Can-Am for me is being small, maneuverable and able to get through slow heavy traffic more easily.  (Example below*) 

- The biggest pro to a Can Am is its inherent stability - you can "throw the anchor out" without washing out the front wheel like a non-ABS bike is prone to do unless you are skilled and calm under pressure.  It's also immune to highside/lowside and gyroscopically-induced motions like tankslappers.

I *do* wonder if you can be thrown off the can-am by its non-leaning design if you steer too sharply at speed...  I also have an automatic objection to the concept you can pass your bike test on a can-am.  If they give you a 3wheeler endorsement then fine, but I don't want to ride near anyone who tested on a can-am and then jumped on a bike for the first time.  Maybe if I understood the specifics better I'd be ok with it, but it just sounds wrong.

(*Example of bike maneuverability...)  Got stuck on the freeway a while ago in a huge backup caused by a major accident.  I was in the left lane, level with the chevrons of an exit (100' further forward and I'd have to ride across grass to make the exit)   All 6 lanes stopped dead, emergency services on scene.  Nobody going anywhere soon.  I was on the bike, so I simply walked the bike in a zig-zag between all the stopped cars and exited at 315 and took surface streets instead.  I was squeezing through gaps not much bigger than the bike.  Try that in a car.  Or a can-am.   (All you survivalist types with barn-sized 4x4's, think about that...  Evacuation by 4-wheeler may not be possible if the roads are backed up.  Throw knobbly tires on the bike and you can evacuate by lane-splitting or cutting cross-country)

• Upvote 1

The only time I wave at people, I only use one finger.  It's more efficient.  Especially if someone cuts me off and I try to apologize for existing by waving at them frantically.  Strangely, it appears to annoy folks.  Does that have a special meaning to you Americans?

• Upvote 1

I *do* wonder if you can be thrown off the can-am by its non-leaning design if you steer too sharply at speed...  I also have an automatic objection to the concept you can pass your bike test on a can-am.  If they give you a 3wheeler endorsement then fine, but I don't want to ride near anyone who tested on a can-am and then jumped on a bike for the first time.

In ohio, 3 wheeler is a lesser endorsement than 2 wheeler. (you can take your test on a can am and get a 3 wheeler, but you can't ride a 2 wheeler. If you take your test on a 2 wheeler, that trumps the 3 wheeler, and you can ride whatever you like)

And you could potentially be tossed by a can-am if you turn too hard, but it has an active roll mitigation system that makes it near impossible to turn over...

In ohio, 3 wheeler is a lesser endorsement than 2 wheeler. (you can take your test on a can am and get a 3 wheeler, but you can't ride a 2 wheeler. If you take your test on a 2 wheeler, that trumps the 3 wheeler, and you can ride whatever you like)

And you could potentially be tossed by a can-am if you turn too hard, but it has an active roll mitigation system that makes it near impossible to turn over...

Ah, 3wheel endorsement make MUCH more sense.  Good, good.

It doesn't help that the CanAm stays upright if you part ways with the thing because you steered too hard at freeway speeds...

Still, different strokes...

The only time I wave at people, I only use one finger.  It's more efficient.  Especially if someone cuts me off and I try to apologize for existing by waving at them frantically.  Strangely, it appears to annoy folks.  Does that have a special meaning to you Americans?

It means hello in the US, just like this:

winston_churchill_two_finger.jpg

Means "I really Respect You" in England.....

• Upvote 1

Do you countersteer? Does it remain upright due to the gyroscopic motion of the wheels? These are characteristics of motorcycles..

• 2 weeks later...