Not Much Love For The 1/4 Mile On Here?

Little Al

I haven't been to a track in over four years... Actually , probably closer to seven. Last time was up at mcir. Even then I there were only a handful of bikes. Is it just not popular any longer? Seems to be a lot of store bought, bolt-on BS that shows up.

Dad always called it "no talent horsepower" referring to a guys inability to create power without a turbo or a bottle.

Hey I refuse to run a bottle but turbo is fair game the replacement for displacement. If you run newer with fuel injection you can add power relatively easy without a lot of work. I come from old school where stroke and bore with big cams and even bigger carbs. Its more of the ease of fuel injection that makes it easier for those with little mechanical knowledge to come out and play. You should check out the slow evolution of the zx12r thread on here its pretty good. He did a great job modifying that bike. Props to 2fat2fly with that bike. The turbo uses the engine to spool your twking wasted energy from the exhaust amd turning it into extra power. you just can't slap a turbo on and go I mean you can but your gonna have a bad day depending on how much boost you run. I.got a Cummins that I modified that stock ran 26 lbs of boost now runs 46 lbs and have done head studs and o ringed head to keep it from blowing the head. So I don't classify boost as you refer to it as "no talent horsepower"

• Upvote 1

1/4 is 90% vehicle and 10% rider. More $ spent faster you go.

The more you spend the shorter your races are.

Road racing is much longer and requires much more skill that is also applicable to street riding.

1/4 is boring overall.

Road racing is much longer and requires much more skill that is also applicable to street riding.

1/4 is boring overall.

Drag racing sure is fun though.

And I am just kidding to a degree.  It takes a good bit of skill to launch a two wheel motorcycle.  I tend to appreciate the guys that do not drop and stretch more than those that do, but coming from a shop that had the world record in the AHDRA for several years, I understand the reasoning on most that do it and do it well.  The poser crowd is no different than the posers we get.  

But much respect for those that launch the beasts...

1/4 is boring overall.

90% 10%? I disagree.

Sure for a stock bike on run what you bring night, it's not super involved, but if you are racing in brackets or a series, you must be consistent. When you get into the 6 & 8 second bikes, there is most certainly lots of skill involved.

Maintaining traction and keeping it pointed in the right direction while hitting your shift points just right takes practice and skill.

Going fast consistently is much more involved than twisting the throttle and hanging on.

Different strokes.

Edited by max power

Agree on the really fast stuff it must be hard.

Don't care for racing to a set time. That's not racing, that's something else entirely to me.

I'm with ya. It's the only kind of "racing" where the fastest person down the "track" isn't the winner...doesn't make sense.

I could be a better bracket racer with my automatic F150 than a manual sports car, just because it's consistent and runs the same (slow) times every time.

I think drag racing is more for 'gearheads' than 'riders.'

You have to love motors, wrenches, and horsepower to be a serious drag racer.  If you're a top of the food chain drag racer, you ride what...2 or 3 miles total for a race day?

I like to ride the shit out of bikes 400-500 miles at a time. 

I'm an acceleration junkie so there are aspects of drag racing that appeal to me but the twisties are where its at. Straight lines are for fast bikes, turns are for fast riders. Not that I'm that good, first to admit my bike is faster than I am, but I learn every season and my skills improve.

I considered hitting the strip to practice launches, but all the waiting around kills it.  I can go to a trackday and do 4 or 5 practice launches and a bunch of laps in a 20 minute session.  Might not get the time slips to show improvement, but you can feel it.

You can't live your life a quarter mile at a time in the twisties.

I'm guessing you have never been to Deals Gap with Doc...

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have more fun on my bike on a road course than I do drag racing my car. But that said I can see how everyone thinks its easy and boring in a slower car, but as you go faster it gets more fun and is a more difficult thing to do. I have a foot brake turbo car and it is hard to stage and launch on time under boost since I dont have a trans brake. Though its no where near as difficult as taking the bike around for a session.

Different strokes.

• Upvote 1

Im not one to double bulb someone. Smaller turbo would help a bit sure but I get along fine with the way it is. Cut pretty consistent .0x lights which is good enough for classes I run in. My 60ft just suffers a bit, normally lose .05 or .1 in eliminations compared to testing and qualifying where I can sit and build boost.

Edited by Jester_

• 4 weeks later...

Road racing is cool to watch... That's for sure. Isle of Mann TT is at the top of the bucket list. I know if I tried to do it as much as I drag raced I might actually like it. But...   If you want to race, the cheapest, easiest  way to do it is on the drag strip. You can show up with very little effort and expense and go as fast as you can make your machine go... You don't have to spend as much money as the other guy to be competitive.

The bullshit definitely stops when the tree drops.

ET racing will drive you nuts and figuring it out and becomes the challenge, most give up and write it off. I think the fact that you can be the slowest guy at the track and take everyone out is great and it throws a wrench in everyone's plan when they line up next to them. I've seen it done and have lost to them. For example, we have a 70 y/o retired Firefighter that runs a 70s Hondamatic, runs 17.80s at 70 MPH. He is at half track, literally, when I leave against him and then have to judge the finish line on him closing at twice his speed, most red light waiting on him. That is a challenge...  even they guys that are good at it dread that race and laugh at guys who think they are gonna smoke him. Once you figure out how to ET race then you start picking up the pace and adding power, sure. That what all gearheads want right?

You don't have to spend big money on suspension and multiple sets of tires, or go through the effort of safety wiring your nuts to the seat every time you make a change to the bike. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the track selection is better also. You don't have to drive to Michigan every weekend; thirteen tracks in Ohio alone. Oh and then their is that thing about wadding you shit into a ball when you hit a pebble in a corner, that will bring an end to the fun real fast. I've been racing the same SWB 06 1k for the last 6 years and haven't had to replace it.. NOT EVEN ONCE!

So... all the folks that look down on the drag strip, it's cool. Keep taking your high dollar Italian scooter to the road course. Don't forget the cheese and wine and keep sticking your little finger out while sipping your Riesling, all the while drag racing to the first corner... :)

Edited by Exit Wounds