Track Day Tires - Q2 Vs. Q3

F4iguy

Not that I run a very quick pace "one of the faster intermediate riders" but I like the q3. I havent had any issues with them slipping much unless I miss a rev match and slide the rear.

I did have a slowside on sunday at PIRC but was my fault not the tires. Tucked the front because I went wide on turn one and I tried to lean the bike over to compensate and away she went. I forgot to fold my knee in as well so thinking that might have taken some weight off the tires as well.

i've never tried the q3, but the q2 is a very capable tire and i've heard nothing but great things about the q3 and that its at least a minor improvement over the q2.  that all said, i never pass up cheap tires.  i generally save up a few hundred for every winter so i can snap up cheap race tires where i can find them.  i'd say if you're not running mid pack to upper advanced lap times, you probably won't notice the difference between any of the street tires meant for a balance of track day/street riding (specifically, Q2/Q3, pilot power, power 2ct, pures, etc).  buuuuuuut, track riding is a LOT about your comfort level and trusting your tires, so you should go with what makes you feel most confident.

I just switched from Q2's to Q3's and I like the Q3's a lot more. They turn in much quicker than the Q2's did BUT for a track day where you will wear it out quickly anyway, I'd go for the good deal and then buy the Q3's later.

Edited by Mary#17

if the price is right, a Q2 will  be more than good enough for an intermediate pace at a track day.  Just don't run street pressures.

I did my first season with WERA running Q2's without warmers, and after the warmup lap, I was knee down into turn 3 or 4.  Probably would have been fine in turn 1 if not for traffic.

I am actually really excited about the Q3 explicitly because of how cheap the Q2's should become now.  Gotta get a street bike to use them on!