Help Pony Powersports serve you better.

Iron Pony

OR,

Recently there has been a thread on here about the local Columbus dealers not being competitive. Obviously this concerns us and we are listening. I'm going to make you a proposition that will allow you to make a few bucks while helping us be a better dealer.

It is simple......

Bring us an original invoice for a completed sale of a new motorcycle, scooter, side X Side or ATV from any other dealer in Ohio or any state and we'll reward you with a $25 Iron Pony gift card.

You have to allow us to make a copy of the invoice. (all your personal information will be blacked out)

Obviously it has to be a brand that we offer......Aprilia, Beta, Kawasaki, Piaggio, Polaris, Suzuki, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha 

We're confident that we are competitive, but there are some situations where people are dumping non-current models or bikes that are a challenge in certain markets. In many cases we find that the out-the-door-price is very similar to ours because of extra "tack-ons". Often you will find a bike with a very low advertised price, but by the time you get it out the door, freight, prep and/or set up has been added and inflated the bottom line.

When you buy a bike from Pony Powersports you have the price of the bike, a $114.00 fee for documentation and title and (if you need it) $18.50 for a temporary tag. That is it, there is NEVER freight, prep, or set up at PONY POWERSPORTS.

Remember there is always going to be Ohio state sales tax, we can debate that all day long, but that is another topic.

To get your $25.00 Iron Pony gift card simply bring your original completed purchase invoice into the store and let us make a copy. You will receive the gift card on the spot.

Remember, new bikes, the same exact brands Pony Powersports offers only.

Good for motorcycle purchases made from September 1st 2013 through further notice.

Offer limited to Ohio residents. Participants must present the original, completed invoice in person.

• Upvote 1

playing devils advocate here..someone just spent $6k-$20k on a new bike im thinking $25 isnt going to be worth their time to help your research..:dunno: just sayin

how about they bring you a uncompleted sale contract and you beat it? that's putting your money where your mouth is

• Upvote 1

playing devils advocate here..someone just spent $6k-$20k on a new bike im thinking $25 isnt going to be worth their time to help your research.. :dunno: just sayin

how about they bring you a uncompleted sale contract and you beat it? that's putting your money where your mouth is

You buy a bike and simply bring in a piece of paper to a shop that you probably will be visiting anyways and get a $25 gift card?  That's not worth the extra weight of an 8-1/2x11 piece of paper?  I know that shit is heavy, but I think it might be worth the time and effort...

I think that if you bring a piece of paper with a price breakdown and better than what they sell, they'd look at matching or beating if possible.  That's called "sales"...

• Upvote 1

I've said/written it before....call me a "fanboy" if you want, but I had an outstanding experience buying a new bike from IP. They gave me as much on trade as I was asking for my FZ6 on here, got me into great financing and extremely low interest rate, and then lowered the price below my internal ceiling. My only complaint.....by my calculations, they owe me 110 t-shirts. Just throwing that out there.

Edited by C-bus
  • Upvote 1

OR,

Recently there has been a thread on here about the local Columbus dealers not being competitive. Obviously this concerns us and we are listening. I'm going to make you a proposition that will allow you to make a few bucks while helping us be a better dealer.

It is simple......

Bring us an original invoice for a completed sale of a new motorcycle, scooter, side X Side or ATV from any other dealer in Ohio or any state and we'll reward you with a $25 Iron Pony gift card.

You have to allow us to make a copy of the invoice. (all your personal information will be blacked out)

Obviously it has to be a brand that we offer......Aprilia, Beta, Kawasaki, Piaggio, Polaris, Suzuki, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha 

We're confident that we are competitive, but there are some situations where people are dumping non-current models or bikes that are a challenge in certain markets. In many cases we find that the out-the-door-price is very similar to ours because of extra "tack-ons". Often you will find a bike with a very low advertised price, but by the time you get it out the door, freight, prep and/or set up has been added and inflated the bottom line.

When you buy a bike from Pony Powersports you have the price of the bike, a $114.00 fee for documentation and title and (if you need it) $18.50 for a temporary tag. That is it, there is NEVER freight, prep, or set up at PONY POWERSPORTS.

Remember there is always going to be Ohio state sales tax, we can debate that all day long, but that is another topic.

To get your $25.00 Iron Pony gift card simply bring your original completed purchase invoice into the store and let us make a copy. You will receive the gift card on the spot.

Remember, new bikes, the same exact brands Pony Powersports offers only.

Good for motorcycle purchases made from September 1st 2013 through further notice.

Offer limited to Ohio residents. Participants must present the original, completed invoice in person.

I love your store and have bought a ton of items. But how come you don't match online deals at your own site? You also do not price match Motorcycle Super Store of Revzillia. If I am wrong please correct me.

Edited by KZ900

I love your store and have bought a ton of items. But how come you don't match online deals at your own site? You also do not price match Motorcycle Super Store of Revzillia. If I am wrong please correct me.

what i was told..

they cannot match online pricing of stores like motorcycle superstore, or revzilla, or even match their own online pricing because they have to pay their staff, and operating costs.  Its called overhead.  which i completely understand for the most part.  

I know the markup in products on a small scale, and the larger quantity you buy the bigger the profit margin.

with that said, there is also a MAP pricing policy they have to obide by.  which since they sell EVERYTHING at MSRP, they are for sure doing.  but MAP pricing and MSRP are 2 different things... MAP 5%-10% below MSRP... hence why you see much better deals online.

Tires on the other hand have no MAP Pricing policy.. so the game there (for online retailers)  is how cheap can you go and still make a buck.  Pony should match online pricing on tires, that would give buyers an incentive to get the install done at there facility.  you may not make a ton off the tires, but your gonna make your money in service.  Otherwise your customers will buy online and get them installed elsewhere. (thats where i come in ;)  )

Iron Pony can only do so much.  they can't give things away, they have staff to pay, building and utilities to pay for, and they still need to make money.  You don't become successful giving things away, but you also don't get successful driving your customers away for one reason or another.  its a balancing act.

to be honest, if none of us on this forum shopped there it would hurt their bottom line.

and i would say 80% of the people on here shop online, its easy to make a call to nate at RidersDiscount, get awesome pricing with no tax over the phone, and have your package sitting on your porch in 2 days.

i do shop at Iron Pony though, mostly things i need to see or touch to make sure thats what i want, or things i need in a hurry.

but a lot of things i want, they don't carry the brands that i like.  I was so pumped when they started carrying Dainese, and now they don't.  

also a lot of Bike specific things they still have to order.. unless you ride a common bike like a GSXR or something.

ive never paid prep, freight, or setup on ANY new bike anywhere.

thats a given when buying a new machine to not pay for that BS.

You did on your Hyper...  $495 might have been rolled into the cost, but every dealer in the country charges the customer the $495 in freight cost...  Just sayin.  ;)

I don't know if freight charges are "BS". It's a real cost to the dealer, and markup isn't what you think it might be on a new Ducati. I always charged freight on a new bike and doc fees. If people wanted that removed, they had to clear it with the owner. I can't remember writing a sales agreement without freight on a new unit.

It isn't BS at all.  It is an incurred cost and most dealers do not mark it up.  Most dealers charge a DOC fee and most states will not allow you to charge more than a set dollar amount.  Some states do...

The labor is where people get nailed and that is a dealer to dealer type thing.  There is labor to set the bike up and while very minimal, there still is someone who uncrates and preps the bike for sale.  That amount of labor needs to be paid out and I totally respect a dealer to charge for that.  But, most do not anymore...  Some companies charge a dealer a PDI cost.  KTM for example...  This amount gets credited back to the dealer once they successfully register a unit.  Thus, some dealers charge you the customer and get that amount back...  Others use it as a hold back of sorts and reduce the cost to you accordingly and save you a few hundred bucks...

In the end, freight on bikes is a cost that is actually charged.  Dealers who save you that cost are actually losing money.  That's not a good business model.

Each model is different in regard to assembly. Most don't come with clipons installed or upper fairings installed. There's quite a bit of work involved in prepping a bike for the sales floor. They don't arrive ready to roll, at all.

Some dealers will move on freight, and that should be capitalized upon if possible...but it wouldn't break the deal for me. Having been and F&I guy at a bike store, I also expect to pay doc fees. Now, I'll beat the hell out of a F&I guy over interest, but that's because I know how it works. That, or I'll just bring my own financing.

Correct.  I apologize for using the term minimal on setup.  Like you said - some can be and some are not.  You are correct. The Pani is an easy unit to setup as everything is ready with exception to a few items and prepping it is easier than say a Multi...

I will add the pony Does NOT carry leathers for women. As a matter of fact no one in Dayton does either. It would be nice to at least have something to try on even if it was a floor model only. At least you would know what to order.

I know this is a little off topic

Sorry

Edited by snot

I will add the pony Does NOT carry leathers for women. As a matter of fact no one in Dayton does either. It would be nice to at least have something to try on even if it was a floor model only. At least you would know what to order.

I know this is a little off topic

Sorry

They used to carry suits from AStar.  However, understand that suits for riders (Full one piece) are about 2-3% of what are the total sales for dealers.  And that is if they are a hard core shop...  Rider's and STG are better choices for that because they have a more broad target audience and are more specialized.

But, check the closeout section.  Plenty of suits that are smaller sizes that would work and for the money, a decent choice because the minimal use they will get unless you are dedicated and doing it often enough to justify a higher end suit.  They had some decent AGV suits back there...

I did find a 2 PC and I will be ordering it from another dealer. However I found my sizes at the races in Indy. STG did not have them there but I found some one who did. I could not believe no one had anything in Dayton or Cbus for women.

I had no idea of my size since i am so short. No one sells patote size, however I now know my size in Taichi. I will pay the extra for new because I plan on wearing it a lot. It would be nice if some of these places had samples to at least give you an idea. There is a market it is not large but it is growing.

Iron Pony is 2 miles from my house.  I've been there so often, I know most of the faces and a few recognize me as well.  Last spring I traded a cherry S40 for a V-Star 1100 (thanks Marc) and feel like I got a worthwhile deal since they made the process hassle-free.  I could have done better on price with private sales of course, but I was willing to pay for the same-day convenience.  I've also spent a few thousand on gear, parts and consumables and probably know the store as well as a short-timer employee.

I usually buy there before ordering online unless I need a specialty part or the price diff is large.  Many of their techs and salespeople are pretty knowledgeable to the point of one guy in the parts area (correctly) taking me out of pod'ding a CV carb - damn, I'm glad he did or I'd still be futzing with those jets.

Anyway, I love their proximity, HUGE stock, closeout deals and fairly reasonable prices on new stuff, at least for a local dealer and I don't mind paying a little extra for the convenience and in-person advice.  I also like the events they hold - dealer days, vintage motorcycle rally, training and so on.

I do wish they'd discount their new and used bikes more, especially with regards to a trade.  I almost pulled the trigger on a new V-Strom 650 last month but their end-of-season valuation of my trade was $1000 low.  I don't hold it against them personally - it'll probably sit for a few months - but then again, their new Wee may instead sit there and age a model year before the spring.

what i was told..

they cannot match online pricing of stores like motorcycle superstore, or revzilla, or even match their own online pricing because they have to pay their staff, and operating costs.  Its called overhead.  which i completely understand for the most part.  

I know the markup in products on a small scale, and the larger quantity you buy the bigger the profit margin.

with that said, there is also a MAP pricing policy they have to obide by.  which since they sell EVERYTHING at MSRP, they are for sure doing.  but MAP pricing and MSRP are 2 different things... MAP 5%-10% below MSRP... hence why you see much better deals online.

Tires on the other hand have no MAP Pricing policy.. so the game there (for online retailers)  is how cheap can you go and still make a buck.  Pony should match online pricing on tires, that would give buyers an incentive to get the install done at there facility.  you may not make a ton off the tires, but your gonna make your money in service.  Otherwise your customers will buy online and get them installed elsewhere. (thats where i come in ;)  )

Iron Pony can only do so much.  they can't give things away, they have staff to pay, building and utilities to pay for, and they still need to make money.  You don't become successful giving things away, but you also don't get successful driving your customers away for one reason or another.  its a balancing act.

to be honest, if none of us on this forum shopped there it would hurt their bottom line.

and i would say 80% of the people on here shop online, its easy to make a call to nate at RidersDiscount, get awesome pricing with no tax over the phone, and have your package sitting on your porch in 2 days.

i do shop at Iron Pony though, mostly things i need to see or touch to make sure thats what i want, or things i need in a hurry.

but a lot of things i want, they don't carry the brands that i like.  I was so pumped when they started carrying Dainese, and now they don't.  

also a lot of Bike specific things they still have to order.. unless you ride a common bike like a GSXR or something.

I priced a UClear http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/uclear-hbc-100-bluetooth-communicator at $139 at Iron Pony its $179 online or $199 in the Iron Pony Store. That's $60 difference between revzilla and Iron Pony in-store.And I get it in two days. http://www.ironpony.com/ironponydirect/product-info.asp/ImageName/UCLEAR-HBC100-PLUS-SINGLE.jpg/brand/UCLEAR/class2/Electronics/class3/Communication%20Systems/class1/STREET%20PRODUCTS/KitKey2/HBC100%20PLUS%20BLUETOOTH%20HELMET%20COMMUNICATOR

PR3 tires are way cheaper online and I can get someone to come to my house and mount them cheaper than I can at Iron Pony. I understand overhead and mark-up. I also understand profit lost due to competition. But when they will not even match there own online price ts tough. I am not talking about clearance items. When was the last time you walked into Iron Pony and bought just one thing? That is usually my intention but I end up walking out with much more. 

Edited by KZ900