What to do...

Cdubyah

So without going into great detail, I'm trying to decide what to do with my work schedule over the upcoming holidays. I have the glorious pleasure of having to work over holidays. It doens't really bother me too much. There are three of us that work my shift. So, as long as,one of us is at work there is no problem.

Now to the monkey wrench. I'm in the middle on seniority. The senior person just found out that her significant other has terminal lung cancer, and has 2-10 months left. So the Junior and I decided to split the holiday's. Well now the senior tells us that she might want to work on Thanksgiving (she loves the OT money, and works most holidays anyway). I'm not oppsed to working on holiday's, it gets me out of traveling. However, the Junior has yet to work a major holiday since starting with us last year. He ususally skips out, and leaves us to cover it. Now he is going on about how much time he needs to take off three days. Now to be fair, he was planning to take the week of Christmas off before the whole monkey wrench.

I'm trying to decide if I want to be a prick and pull seniority and tell him he has to work on Christmas. Or just let it go and work. My wife is all about putting him in his place, and making his lazy ass work. I would like to be fair about the whole thing.

I guess it just rubs me the wrong way that he doesn't want to work holidays...ever. Yeah, I don't want to be away from mine either, but they explain that to you in the job interview.

Unfortunately my senior co-worker always works, so he doesn't really have to worry about it.

So what are your thoughts?

Where I work, when a holiday is coming up,

we put our name on the list, if we want to

work it.  The company chooses the number

of people they need to work and assigns

them to work, starting with the senior person

signed up.  If enough people did not sign up

they draft people with the least seniority on

up, until they have as many as they need.

This is what seniority is for.  You paid your

dues to work, or to have off, as you choose.

Make your choice.  The newer people will

have their choice when they have paid their

dues.  Look out for number one, because

no one else will.

If he/she takes advantage of your fair intentions, then fuck em, and pull the seniority card. Always sucks to see it go that way when people can't come to an agreement because then it hardly ever goes back to working together to come to a happy compromise.