Thinking of a change. What's out there?

jporter12

I've been considering making a career change.  What's out there?  I have worked with mechanical and electrical systems for the past 20 years, first in an industrial environment, and the 12 or so years in the automotive repair field.  I can do a little bit of anything, machine controls, hydraulics, electronics, motion control, some blow molding experience, etc...  I can figure out almost anything mechanical or electrical.  

Learn to weld. Work for oil and gas industry. Guaranteed to bank 6 figures. Profit

I have some welding skills, but no certs or anything.  I am WAY out of practice, too.  I'm also looking to stay as close to home as possible.  

This is all just "seeing what's out there," not a need to find something asap to put food on the table.  The auto repair business is becoming more and more inconsistent over the past several years, and the fact that I'm not getting any younger makes the abuse that I put my body through on a daily basis tougher to deal with.

Learn to weld. Work for oil and gas industry. Guaranteed to bank 6 figures. Profit

Good luck doing that if you have a family.

Can easily make 120-180k pipelining but that's after you've worked as a welders helper for a couple years.

Manufacturing is usually always hiring but depending on the job pay isn't always good.

Can easily make 120-180k pipelining but that's after you've worked as a welders helper for a couple years.

Manufacturing is usually always hiring but depending on the job pay isn't always good.

Yeah, I see manufacturing stuff all over the place, but the pay is about 50-60% of what I make (when things are going decent) where I am now.  I cannot take that much of a hit, so I am probably stuck with what I'm doing now, at least for the foreseeable future.

Depends really what situation you can find. More often than not you're probably right however we just hired a guy who was only a helper for 6 months, and off the bat was making $45/hr + rig pay. Right now he is in PA but it's only because we needed a job to hold us over until they get their shit together with permitting for the Ohio job we're scheduled for

It may not apply here but I've been in the process of building a house (I'm not doing the actual work) for a year and all I keep hearing from the builder and subs is that since the economy took a shit, there's a huge lack of skilled labor for carpentry, electrical, plumbing, etc as people bowed out of the industry and went elsewhere. Seems like a good opportunity for some folks to find some solid work and make some decent $. A friend of mine who worked for Drees homes for many years was laid off in '08 because of the economy. He was really good at what he did and started doing side work under the table. He made $80k in his first year (tax free) and was turning away people because he had so much work just through work of mouth. He's since found work doing county maintenance in NKY but that one year he raked.

Gotta second the Oil&Gas idea.  Has more than paid my bills and given me some toys.  Don't have to weld to get good money in the industry.  Most of us get to keep our vision for quite a while. 

I do know a guy that works with testing in the oil and gas industry, I should look him up and see if they're hiring.

I do know a guy that works with testing in the oil and gas industry, I should look him up and see if they're hiring.

I'm a flowtester myself.  Work in Oh, Wv, and Pa.  Usually I will go well over a month without a day off but then will be off for 1-2 weeks without notice.  This time of year right here is pretty much the slow time for us but we still have the ability to be comfortable.  I know the company I work for is talking about beginning to hire after the first of the year

I'm a flowtester myself. Work in Oh, Wv, and Pa. Usually I will go well over a month without a day off but then will be off for 1-2 weeks without notice. This time of year right here is pretty much the slow time for us but we still have the ability to be comfortable. I know the company I work for is talking about beginning to hire after the first of the year

If you don't mind me asking, what company?

I'm also contemplating starting my own business to provide support the automotive repair shops.  I'm going to do some research, and some asking around about interest in what I'm thinking about offering to see if it's even worth my time to put something together.  Would be a part time gig to start with.

I see you're from Shadyside...I'm working across the river at the Moundsville Williams Site.A lot of good paying gas related work along the river.

I have worked a couple of pads over there. Right now they got me out south of senecaville. I get to go all over the place.