unOFFICIAL OR SoreButtapalooza to Mt. Rushmore.

Tonik

Tonik

Is the I80 Service plaza the one just south of Sandusky Bay?

No, mile post 170.  Between I 71 and I 77 near Cleveland.

https://www.ohioturnpike.org/travelers/turnpike-map/#GREAT_LAKES

We got to figure out a way to meet Connie14, he is coming from the Columbus area.

I am not sure, but heading up the night before seems to make the most sense. Another dumb question: does or will everyone have an EZPass? I don't travel on toll roads often, so I don't have an EZPass transponder. I usually find out the tolls ahead of time and put the exact amount in my tank bag for each toll booth, so I don't have to remove my gloves. If I am the only one without one, I can order it.

Edited by Connie14

I am not sure, but heading up the night before seems to make the most sense. Another dumb question: does or will everyone have an EZPass? I don't travel on toll roads often, so I don't have an EZPass transponder. I usually find out the tolls ahead of time and put the exact amount in my tank bag for each toll booth, so I don't have to remove my gloves. If I am the only one without one, I can order it.

I have one, but no big deal if you don't. I don't remember anyone I have traveled with having one.  I just roll through then wait for them. Usually I go through first and I can just hang in the lane right in front of you. Or pull over to the shoulder.  Never been a problem.

It may not be required but the convenience of a transponder is well worth it even if only used occasionally.

It save time and hassle at every tool booth. Sometimes the difference can be considerable at congested tolls.

You can use one transponder on multiple different vehicles.

You also get toll discounts for using a transponder.

Ohio charges $0.75 for the transponder but it appears you can get a MA transponder at no cost. You just need to keep a $20 balance on the account to pay tolls.

Something to consider.

Craig

It may not be required but the convenience of a transponder is well worth it even if only used occasionally......

The Illinois I-Pass is free, works on Ohio Toll Road, too.

In Chicago, cash tolls are $1.50 each and I-Pass users are charged 1/2 of that. It'll save ya a whopping $3.75 per direction as we go though the Chicago area.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Exactly 5 months from today we will have nailed the IB, seen Mt. Rushmore and will be drinking beers in Deadwood.

PS. Could a mod make this a sticky until after our trip. That's the least you could do for us since the Deals Gap sissy's get their own whole folder. :)

Edited by Tonik
  • Upvote 1

Man, I could almost drive the sag for you all on the way out. I will be taking the girls West at the same time. Mini-van, camping gear, bikes, grill, and I am going to trailer a bike for at least one day ride in Rushmore area. I am sure the girls will want to chill by the pool at least once a weak so they can get a bath.