Bad Credit Street Bike Financing

Angelique Stonerock

The issue is that a lot of dealerships claim they won't finance under a certain amount, or will do so at exorbitant interest rates.

You'd be better served saving up a bit during the off-season (now) and making a cash purchase in the spring/early summer.

What kind of bad credit are we talking about? Unestablished? Late payments? BK?

I'm a firm believer in credit unions.  Mine helped me re-establish a good credit standing years ago, as well as my wife's.  Doesn't hurt to talk to them once you find a bike you want, have a total price in mind, and how heavy your down payment would be. 

• Upvote 1

I don't mean to be rude, but when lenders won't work with you, there is usually a good (or statistically rational) reason.  Banks, dealerships, and credit unions want nothing more than to finance people, and collect the interest.  If they're turning away your business, it's because they don't think you're actually going to pay...

This time of year, that $800 down should buy a running beginner bike...  Ride that in 2014 and save up a few grand to buy something nicer in the 2014/2015 winter off-season.  I believe someone had a GS500 for sale here not too long ago for under $800.  That would be a great first bike.

• Upvote 1

are you getting a tax return this year? If so take that +800 and buy a used 250 pretty much anywhere

I don't know your situation however the only way I'd ever suggest financing a non-primary vehicle is if you are trying to fix a bad credit situation. Even then I suggest making sure you have the cash in hand for a good chunk of the loan so that you don't find yourself in another bad situation making said bad credit situation worse

Edited by Bad324

I'm a firm believer in never financing toys. If I can't afford to pay cash for it I don't need it. Maybe with bad credit buying a bike isn't the best idea financially. But I don't know what you situation was to get bad credit either.(nor is it any of my business)

I'm a firm believer in never financing toys. If I can't afford to pay cash for it I don't need it.

^^^^This...^^^^  With $800, you're in beginner bike territory on Craigslist.  Do a search with $1000 as the high price, then look for something you like.  Rebel 250s, Nighthawk 250s, sometimes even older Ninja 250s, and the occasional beat down larger displacement bikes often fall into that category. 

I'm a firm believer in never financing toys. If I can't afford to pay cash for it I don't need it. Maybe with bad credit buying a bike isn't the best idea financially. But I don't know what you situation was to get bad credit either.(nor is it any of my business)

I agree, never finance a hobby.

The link to the Ohio auctions had multiple bikes for under a grand. Most needed batteries, but oh well...

I was trying to talk the wife into one of the TW200's she used for the MSF course. She said "SURE! ...I you get rid of one of the other two bikes."

I agree, never finance a hobby.

You can and should finance a hobby if your knowledgable. For instance I will be financing a bike this year @ 2.49%. I will be able to invest the cash that I have and yield a higher % than I'm being charged. Edited by Carwhore

Take your 800 and pay off any charged off accounts and collections which I'm sure you have.

Well now, aren't you a presumptuous prick.

You can and should finance a hobby if your knowledgable. For instance I will be financing a bike this year @ 2.49%. I will be able to invest the cash that I have and yield a higher % than I'm being charged.

Now you have to have good credit.

Sounds like self-justification and not at all smart considering the unpredictable nature of the market since 2008.  OK, so you're showing off that you have cash and the ability to invest it and think the OP is a deadbeat.  WE ARE NOT WORTHY!

Sounds like self-justification and not at all smart considering the unpredictable nature of the market since 2008. OK, so you're showing off that you have cash and the ability to invest it and think the OP is a deadbeat. WE ARE NOT WORTHY!

He said he has bad credit. What do else do you think could be on his credit to hurt him? He could have past due child support, over balance credit cards, bankruptcy, foreclosure, I picked the two most common items.

Just because the market hasn't been stable means people are loosing money, I bet most people last year made 20% or better. Most good investors made 30%.

And I never said op was a deadbeat. He should make smarter decisions to clean up his credit first if he plans on financing a bike. That way when he does he has a lower interest rate.

Edited by Carwhore

Sounds like self-justification and not at all smart considering the unpredictable nature of the market since 2008.  OK, so you're showing off that you have cash and the ability to invest it and think the OP is a deadbeat.  WE ARE NOT WORTHY!

He does finacing and credit for a living, and is far from a prick.

Mabey you shouldn't be such a judgemental presumptious prick........

• Upvote 2

I agree with working with a credit union if the bad credit was a thing of the past or one time incident.

If your are currently struggling with finances, I don't suggest a bike...financed or otherwise.  There will be plenty of gear to buy and their is always routine maintenance and insurance, etc....

The cheapest route will probably be to buy cash from a private seller(craigslist) in the winter.  If you have a way to move a dead bike...you will always find those with dead batteries/gummed carbs in the early spring for cheap.

Sorry about the tone. I don't disagree with your advice (except financing a bike - that still requires market timing and for most that's a bad idea). I guess I was caught off guard by what looked like a presumption that the OP was still delinquent.

She didn't get the answer she wanted, so she went to ask somewhere else.  Ask me how surprised I am that someone with admitted credit issues would prefer to find more ways to spend money rather than listening to those who were telling her to save it.

• Upvote 2