has a maximum number of riders in it.  They

will not know that. 

I would suggest that it be emphasized that

riders join a group one degree slower than

they think they are skilled for so that the

need to drop to a slower group would be less

likely.

My .02...

Jack why don't you lead a group in slow since you know the route?

I think we need the group in front to wait for the one behind at the gas stop. This way riders can also bump up (could even out the groups some).

I do not know the route. 

I may take a map and ride it

ahead of time if I get the

chance, but this ride is two

weeks away and I have only

four days off work between

then and now. 

Getting the

weatherman to do his part

is the problem.  I'm not

leaving the house if the

temperature is in the 40's.

Do you know the area? In a last minute pinch you might be needed if you do.

I do know to make a left onto

669 in Crooksville, and not

end us up in Zanesville.  :lol:

I'll consider leading a Sloooow

group, but I'm not committing

myself yet.  I still have to see

if I can get off work for this,

and if the weather is crappy,

I'm staying home.

Edited by JackFlash
  • Upvote 1

As an Organizational Leader, the last page or two of this thread is driving me nuts :lol:

I think you guys failed to see the bigger picture.

This was not an assignment of riders to groups.

This was a picture of where deficiencies were for

leads and sweeps according to the number of

participants we had posted at that time.  Names

were dropped in for purposes of illiustration, and

based on type of group riders wished to be with.

It is useful information if you choose to make use

of it. 

Jack sometimes you need to get out of your own way. If you noticed I agreed that loosely pre planned groups should be a necessity. Having 5 different people shout random ideas for future endeavors is useless confusing filler. Any additional micromanaging is also useless confusing filler

As I stated here is all that needs planned:

*Date, time, place, route

*know what group you want to be in, know who the leader is and park in the correct location

You've now fixed 75% of the issues from past years with that second bullet point

+1

We are going to be ok!  Myself, Wolfman1 and Derek will be on the ground to help get people in the correct groups and welcome anyone else who would like to help organize groups as riders arrive.  I am going to print color maps with mileage reference at turns and stop points to help those that may lead, but are not as versed with the roads and geographic land marks on the route.  The route and mileage reference points will be PDF'd and linked in the first post of this thread so it can be downloaded and studied by current and possible leads/sweeps.

Edited by whaler

As I stated here is all that needs planned:

*Date, time, place, route

*know what group you want to be in, know who the leader is and park in the correct location

Yes, that's what you stated.  That's very close

to the arrangement last time, other than where

to park.  Sorry to muddy up the works, if you

think I was doing that. 

I'll just sit back with my box of popcorn and watch.

+1

We are going to be ok!  Myself, Wolfman1 and Derek will be on the ground to help get people in the correct groups and welcome anyone else who would like to help organize groups as riders arrive.  I am going to print color maps with mileage reference at turns and stop points to help those that may lead, but are not as versed with the roads and geographic land marks on the route.  The route and mileage reference points will be PDF'd and linked in the first post of this thread so it can be downloaded and studied by current and possible leads/sweeps.

Now, we're getting somewhere.

I'm trying to familiarize myself with the route prior to going on this ride. I believe I'm finding a couple of discrepancies with the maps (?). 

1. The cue sheet on the RideWithGPS version makes no mention of turning left onto OH-691 from route OH-56, although it does show that on the map portion. 

2. On the mapquest version, the route goes from OH-78 to OH-685 to hit OH-13 (on OH-13 for about 4 miles). Where on the RideWithGPS version, the route goes from OH-78, heading up towards route 216, and then back east, with a small 1 mile jog on Oh-13 before getting back on 78.

3. On RideWithGPS, the cue sheet says turn Right on Main St. (OH-669). According to the map (as well as Mapquest), that should be a LEFT turn onto Main St. (OH-669). 

4. In Somerset, Mapquest says to take a left of Summit St/ RideWithGPS says left on Sheridan Ave. This is such a small discrepancy, I almost didn't note it. Just know that these two roads are interchangeable and both quickly get you to OH-668. 

Just wanted to throw these out there. #s 1 and 3 could really throw you off course if you're not paying attention. #s 2 and 4 aren't a big deal, those routes will still get you to the finish. 

I'm trying to familiarize myself with the route prior to going on this ride. I believe I'm finding a couple of discrepancies with the maps (?).

1. The cue sheet on the RideWithGPS version makes no mention of turning left onto OH-691 from route OH-56, although it does show that on the map portion.

2. On the mapquest version, the route goes from OH-78 to OH-685 to hit OH-13 (on OH-13 for about 4 miles). Where on the RideWithGPS version, the route goes from OH-78, heading up towards route 216, and then back east, with a small 1 mile jog on Oh-13 before getting back on 78.

3. On RideWithGPS, the cue sheet says turn Right on Main St. (OH-669). According to the map (as well as Mapquest), that should be a LEFT turn onto Main St. (OH-669).

4. In Somerset, Mapquest says to take a left of Summit St/ RideWithGPS says left on Sheridan Ave. This is such a small discrepancy, I almost didn't note it. Just know that these two roads are interchangeable and both quickly get you to OH-668.

Just wanted to throw these out there. #s 1 and 3 could really throw you off course if you're not paying attention. #s 2 and 4 aren't a big deal, those routes will still get you to the finish.

Those links were taken from last years thread. I looked at the general overview and they looked accurate but I didn't verify the exact accuracy. The official route (which will be printed and handed out at the event) will be the following:

http://goo.gl/maps/ZnwBZ

I'll update the OP as well. Sorry for any confusion.

• Upvote 1

I'm going to attend the event and bounce out with dyingshadow... Way too many people riding together.

I agree, at least as far as my own needs go.

Derek, I'm going to have to withdraw my offer to act as sweep, I'm sorry.

I rode 1000 miles this weekend with several groups of 7 riders (+- a few), and it was challenging enough to keep that cohesive across a variety of skills, and that was with similar bikes.  And boy did we experience what full gas stations in rural towns was like - there appears to be a tradition on some places to park in front of a pump, go inside for a crap, peruse the wares and chit-chat with the cashier before casually gassing up and going back in to pay.  Great people, just casual.

I might still come for the meet and ride my own route or join a small group on a different path, or I might attend a dual-sport ride on the same weekend.

Sorry man, but hope you understand.

I agree, at least as far as my own needs go.

Derek, I'm going to have to withdraw my offer to act as sweep, I'm sorry.

I rode 1000 miles this weekend with several groups of 7 riders (+- a few), and it was challenging enough to keep that cohesive across a variety of skills, and that was with similar bikes. And boy did we experience what full gas stations in rural towns was like - there appears to be a tradition on some places to park in front of a pump, go inside for a crap, peruse the wares and chit-chat with the cashier before casually gassing up and going back in to pay. Great people, just casual.

I might still come for the meet and ride my own route or join a small group on a different path, or I might attend a dual-sport ride on the same weekend.

Sorry man, but hope you understand.

The first three groups were very good other than an off in fast. But the organization was good and the groups were 8-10 people. The real obsticol will be getting medium and slow organized (this is where the cluster was). We need enough leads and sweeps to keep the group size down in medium and slow. Do not let the total size of the event scare you, as long as we keep good group size, everything will be fine.

• Upvote 1

The first three groups were very good other than an off in fast. But the organization was good and the groups were 8-10 people. The real obsticol will be getting medium and slow organized (this is where the cluster was). We need enough leads and sweeps to keep the group size down in medium and slow. Do not let the total size of the event scare you, as long as we keep good group size, everything will be fine.

^^THIS^^

It's not much different than riding with a small group of 4-6 where riders fend for themselves, only our groups are 10-12 riders with designated lead/sweep keeping everyone together.   Up to those that would rather not ride with the organized groups, but I don't see much of a difference -- there's inherent danger no matter the group/speed/abilities :dunno:

Edited by Hellmutt
  • Upvote 2

Derek,

I noticed someone has listed me as a lead.  I never volunteered for the position.  You might want to repost your confirmed leads/sweeps count so everyone is on the same page.  I wouldn't want the leads count to be skewed with false info.

Might be a good idea to have at least one or two standby riders willing to take the bull by the horns and lead or sweep in case a lead/sweep cannot make it at the last minute.

Derek,

I noticed someone has listed me as a lead.  I never volunteered for the position. 

I hope that as we near closer to the actual date, that people will know more definitively

whether they can make it or not and if they will be able to lead.   I know a few of the guys

I ride with regularly, would be willing and capable of leading in a pinch. (ie whaler, wolfman1, 330racing) 

Sorry mate, that be me.  T'was wishful thinking on my part.

I did a little scout ride today of the route all the way up to 669 (I took 78 instead of grabbing 555/669). Not sure if anyone has figured out the logistics of the gas stop but here are my thoughts based on what I've found: 

• Shell station on E. Canal is closed
  • BP station on E. Canal is closed
  • There is a Turkey Hill and a Speedway on E. Canal both with 12 pumps
  • The route will take us up Burr Oak Blvd to Buchtel where there is a 12 pump Marathon station out of the way.

If you're leading a group and see both stations on Canal are full of bikes, keep following the route up Burr Oak Blvd. to the Marathon station. 

• Upvote 1