unOFFICIAL SPRING 2014 EPIC RIDE - May 18th

DerekClouser

All that needs organized in this is Meet location, time and route which is already done

Secondly, learning from last year GROUPS SHOULD BE LOOSELY PRE PLANNED. This will make day of 100x easier, I assure you that as the person who did it last year day of. This includes having people already park in the right areas as Derek has already set up in that picture

That is literally all that needs to be decided

Edited by Bad324

All that needs organized in this is Meet location, time and route which is already done

Secondly, learning from last year GROUPS SHOULD BE LOOSELY PRE PLANNED. This will make day of 100x easier, I assure you that as the person who did it last year day of. This includes having people already park in the right areas as Derek has already set up in that picture

That is literally all that needs to be decided

Sounds like you have things under control Brian, I will graciously bow out of the thread. ;) 

• Upvote 1

Can you be more specific, please?

You worry too much. The level of organization you seek is really unnecessary & may end up hindering more than helping.  Specifically 1 yes & 3 maybes right now.  There may be more as I'm going to my Mild Hogs motorcycle club meeting tomorrow & am extending an invitation.  This may bring some for the large touring bike group.

• Upvote 2

IMO, everyone in the fast group should be capable of leading or sweeping.

All I'm saying is I haven't ridden those roads before.  So some Fast riders might be expecting to ride at Mach Retard pace, and I might only be at Mach Moron :)

Anyone that wants to ride at Mach Retard is welcome to pass me & ride ahead.  The pace last year was pretty reserved, slowing to 70 in the straights to keep the group together.  Even so, we had a guy crash & break his collarbone. Pace this year should be similar.

I can lead a Med-slow or slow group. Last year I rode with a Med fast group. I like a spirited pace.

That is assuming that you all don't mind riding behind a crusier.

Maximum group size will be 10, and you had better have all your fleshy parts covered. Also, don't ride like an ass or I'm leaving you on the side of the rode.

If you can meet those requirements there should be no problem. I don't mean to sound like a grumpy old man, but I don't want to scoop you off the road.

• Upvote 2

I can lead a Med-slow or slow group. Last year I rode with a Med fast group. I like a spirited pace.

That is assuming that you all don't mind riding behind a crusier.

Maximum group size will be 10, and you had better have all your fleshy parts covered. Also, don't ride like an ass or I'm leaving you on the side of the rode.

If you can meet those requirements there should be no problem. I don't mean to sound like a grumpy old man, but I don't want to scoop you off the road.

Entirely reasonable requirements IMHO.

When is the deadline for shirt ordering and to be on the roster? I'm in the Dayton area but work might need me that day. I plan on the medium group.

Already past the shirt deadline unfortunately. But there is no deadline to get into the ride. We'd be happy to have ya tag along. Any idea what pace group you'd like to be placed into??

I have made a slight modification to the route to improve from last years problems.   Instead of the gas station we hit last year, we've found a gas station more central to the ride.   Last year, many felt the first stop was way to early (30 miles into the ride, leaving a 110 mile iron butt section.  I noticed many were very sore. After reviewing the route, we found a gas station that can accommodate our size as well as provide 3 bathrooms for those who need to go. The route will remain the same minus a very short turn to a gas station and return back on to the route.

http://goo.gl/maps/ZnwBZ

The gas station we will be using is at point G.

BP Gas station :  531 N Main St, McConnelsville, OH   

This gas station is 70 miles into the ride and leaves 60 miles after the gas station.

Changing the gas/stretch stop has multiple advantages:

1) More evenly separates the route (keeps riders from that uncomfortably long stretch we had last year)

2) Keeps well within the 100 mile typical gas stops

3) The stretch leading up to the gas station is a bit twisty, so it will allow a chance to recover before continuing the ride.   

4) Doesn't change the route but a .1 mile quick detour.

5) 3 bathrooms between the gas station/dairy queen (which has outside entrances to the bathroom and the BP attendant said we would be fine to use the DQ bathrooms)

6) Last year, leading up to the ride, many riders already agreed that we wanted to find a more central gas stop. 

The only flaw that I can see by doing this is that it prevents those who may not be in the right group from switching earlier. This is easily solved by the idea that we can do a quick stop and go at the first gas station from last year if anyone feels uncomfortable. They will wait for the next group to pass.  When approaching the first gas station (the one from last year), be on the look out for riders who may be waiting to switch and let them squeeze into your group as you ride by.

I am already aware that people dislike change, but I do honestly believe this is better for the overall rider experience.  As pretty much everyone said, it's better to have one guy make a decision than try and have 10 people debate whether it's better or not.   I'll listen to anyone who may have reasons why this is bad, but for now, I believe this will be the best for the ride.  

Edited by DerekClouser
  • Upvote 1

I believe the original plan last year was to stop there or another gas station across the river in McConnelsville. But they were deemed too small for our group size based on the ammount of pumps they had.

If we space the groups out far enough, and folks don't loiter too long there shouldn't be a problem.

I believe the original plan last year was to stop there or another gas station across the river in McConnelsville. But they were deemed too small for our group size based on the ammount of pumps they had.

If we space the groups out far enough, and folks don't loiter too long there shouldn't be a problem.

Agreed, this station has 8 pumps which should be enough... Plus being a little further into the ride, hopefully by sending the faster groups first, should put a bit more separation from group following.   Win Win

Edited by DerekClouser

Derek, we have stopped here before.  It will work just fine.  Last year we did stop way too early and by the end of the second half both my legs were cramped up and my ass went to sleep.  Good call on the route change.

:lost:

I have made a slight modification to the route to improve from last years problems.   Instead of the gas station we hit last year, we've found a gas station more central to the ride.   Last year, many felt the first stop was way to early (30 miles into the ride, leaving a 110 mile iron butt section.  I noticed many were very sore. After reviewing the route, we found a gas station that can accommodate our size as well as provide 3 bathrooms for those who need to go. The route will remain the same minus a very short turn to a gas station and return back on to the route.

http://goo.gl/maps/ZnwBZ

The gas station we will be using is at point G.

BP Gas station :  531 N Main St, McConnelsville, OH   

This gas station is 70 miles into the ride and leaves 60 miles after the gas station.

Changing the gas/stretch stop has multiple advantages:

1) More evenly separates the route (keeps riders from that uncomfortably long stretch we had last year)

2) Keeps well within the 100 mile typical gas stops

3) The stretch leading up to the gas station is a bit twisty, so it will allow a chance to recover before continuing the ride.   

4) Doesn't change the route but a .1 mile quick detour.

5) 3 bathrooms between the gas station/dairy queen (which has outside entrances to the bathroom and the BP attendant said we would be fine to use the DQ bathrooms)

6) Last year, leading up to the ride, many riders already agreed that we wanted to find a more central gas stop. 

The only flaw that I can see by doing this is that it prevents those who may not be in the right group from switching earlier. This is easily solved by the idea that we can do a quick stop and go at the first gas station from last year if anyone feels uncomfortable. They will wait for the next group to pass.  When approaching the first gas station (the one from last year), be on the look out for riders who may be waiting to switch and let them squeeze into your group as you ride by.

I am already aware that people dislike change, but I do honestly believe this is better for the overall rider experience.  As pretty much everyone said, it's better to have one guy make a decision than try and have 10 people debate whether it's better or not.   I'll listen to anyone who may have reasons why this is bad, but for now, I believe this will be the best for the ride.  

McConnelsville, OH   is a good spot, we stopped here for the ride big ride of 2012. Actually two or three gas stops close by and some empty lots to reassemble and take of etc. Actually one party stopped to take a bite in the restaurent too

the early stop was because of two reasons, some riders said the 100 mile range was just about the mileage they could get on a single gas tank, and second and most important was to allow people to jump group ( importantly step down a group) if they thought the pace was not their liking before we hit serious twisties.

McConnelsville, OH   is a good spot, we stopped here for the ride big ride of 2012. Actually two or three gas stops close by and some empty lots to reassemble and take of etc. Actually one party stopped to take a bite in the restaurent too

the early stop was because of two reasons, some riders said the 100 mile range was just about the mileage they could get on a single gas tank, and second and most important was to allow people to jump group ( importantly step down a group) if they thought the pace was not their liking before we hit serious twisties.

Agreed, and riders will still have the ability to drop off at that same gas station if they feel the pace exceeds their comfortability and try and squeeze into the next group as they roll by.  

I know quite a few people, myself included, was dying to get off the bike for a stretch near the end of last years ride, which lead to this change. Gives a much more central stretch spot which I think will go a long way. 

I'm glad everyone so far is in agreement with the change. 

Agreed, and riders will still have the ability to drop off at that same gas station if they feel the pace exceeds their comfortability and try and squeeze into the next group as they roll by.  

I know quite a few people, myself included, was dying to get off the bike for a stretch near the end of last years ride, which lead to this change. Gives a much more central stretch spot which I think will go a long way. 

I'm glad everyone so far is in agreement with the change. 

derek, do we have enough confirmed leads ? I would even say thats the most important factor here. Without enough leads knowing the route well prior to the ride we had to go with brave souls volunteering in the last minute to lead and loosing way etc. Plus it delays start as we have to find a lead etc. Lot of people were willing to sweep, but knowing the route is the key. Not that its a bad situation, but does help when every thing goes smooth. Will need more than 12 -15 confirmed leads so that when the day comes at least 8-10 are present to lead 10 each. And the slow and medium groups have 80% riders and only 20% opting to go faster ones. so just 3-4 leads for fast/ med fast and around 10 for med or slow.

I would have volunteered but i am still not sure if i can make it 100% or whtr i will be 2 up or not :(

Edited by NinjaDoc

derek, do we have enough confirmed leads ? I would even say thats the most important factor here. Without enough leads knowing the route well prior to the ride we had to go with brave souls volunteering in the last minute to lead and loosing way etc. Plus it delays start as we have to find a lead etc. Lot of people were willing to sweep, but knowing the route is the key. Not that its a bad situation, but does help when every thing goes smooth. Will need more than 12 -15 confirmed leads so that when the day comes at least 8-10 are present to lead 10 each. And the slow and medium groups have 80% riders and only 20% opting to go faster ones. so just 3-4 leads for fast/ med fast and around 10 for med or slow.

I would have volunteered but i am still not sure if i can make it 100% or whtr i will be 2 up or not :(

Unfortunately we do not. It appears those who feel comfortable leading are in the same boat as yourself and are not sure if they are going to be able to attend, which is understandable. 

I'd rather know those who are coming are in for sure and not count on someone who isn't going to show up.   Either that, or the other leads are very specific in the people they want to hand select to be in their group.   

I hope that as we near closer to the actual date, that people will know more definitively whether they can make it or not and if they will be able to lead.   I know a few of the guys I ride with regularly, would be willing and capable of leading in a pinch. (ie whaler, wolfman1, 330racing) 

People who said they would, or may be willing to lead are:

jschaf - Fast

derekclouser - Medium Fast

rhill - Medium (or Sweep Fast)

mykill - Medium

helmutt - Medium

Wolfman1 - Medium

Cdubyah - Slow

People who said they would, or may be willing to Sweep are:

Tpoppa - Fast

rhill - Fast (or Lead Medium)

whaler - Medium Fast

Bad324 (pending arrival) - Medium

snot - Medium

330racing - Medium

mike53ali - Medium Slow

malaysionnvasion - Slow

zx3vfr - Slow-er

Here are the the totals of each group according to where people have stated they wished to ride, not including Leads and Sweeps.

Fast - 1

Medium Fast - 6

Medium - 11

Medium Slow - 3

Slow - 23

There are an additional 4 that have not claimed a group and there are several "maybe".

These are all the posting results thru today.  Expect many more riders to show up.

Edited by JackFlash