Weight loss/ lifting/ dieting thread

rawlins87

2 years in the making, I am down to 185 from 240. target weight is 160-170. 

Bought a cheap walmart road bike at the beginning of the 2013 season, and rode it till it fell apart. Upgraded a few times, riding a nice specialized entry level road bike now.  Just rode a 15.2 mph average for just over an hour last night...

Training for 2 events next year - a century ride (100 miles) and I want to participate in GOBA (50 mile days for a week, touring a selection of Ohio)

No specific diet, just portion control, smart eating, and increased activity 6 out 7 days.

• Upvote 1

I didn't change my diet at all. I just started cycling a few days a week. The first month was rough. The second month was less rough. Except that ride I did in Richfield that was 55 miles and 3200' of climb. That was pretty tough for me. I did 75 on Saturday and then ate 5 pulled pork sandwiches. :lol:

I haven't ridden this year at all. The new job has my schedule all screwed up. I need to get it out and get back out there. I was in great shape last year and the year before. This year I feel blah. Cycling definitely makes you feel better. Good job IP. If you join us at the Gap next year, are you taking your bicycle? I will if you do.

GOBA is on my "must do" list. I'm attempting the Cherohala Challenge next June, though. It's the weekend after GOBA. Not sure I can afford that kind of commitment.

62 miles, up the Cherohala Skyway and back, w/ 8,200' of climb. :eek:

More importantly, let's see that Specialized. :)

I am fine on distances... but the climbing still kills me right now... I am more focused on fitness, loosing weight, etc. Just recently started training hills and head winds...

8200' of climb is quite a bit much for me right now...

Here is an older picture of the spesh... nothing fancy...but it does what I need it to do... only difference from that picture to now is a larger tail bag, and clipless pedals.

012730B25848000004500003-attachment-1-PA

• Upvote 1

I'd like to ride more.  My bike sat outside, uncared for, for 3 years... then I fixed a few things and started riding it.  Its not super efficient, but I figure it gives me a harder workout :)

I want to be able to eat 5 sandwiches. 

15 miles yesterday and today.. both were power rides... 15mph or faster...

Your ass will adjust to the saddle quickly if you stick with it, but there always seems to be just a little pain there to remind you where you came from...

Bad - give it a good 4 days before you judge the system...I can way 3-5 pounds either way in a matter of 24 hours...liquid(water) weight alone makes a huge difference each day on the scale.

• Upvote 1

One, don't use a "soft" seat. The firmer the seat, the better it is. Two, you really should be wearing cycling shorts, if you aren't. Three, the seat needs to fit your ass.

..., the best way to stop hurting is just ride through the pain. Eventually, it will stop.

This... I guess I take for granted that my local bike shop threw in a bike fitting for free with the purchase of my bike... Edited by banditj13

Bad - give it a good 4 days before you judge the system...I can way 3-5 pounds either way in a matter of 24 hours...liquid(water) weight alone makes a huge difference each day on the scale.

In the past I wouldn't have said boo after this quick however the fact that I've been drinking 120oz of water a day compared to maybe 25 at best, I feel is a good sign

Honestly I would check it about a week after you started. Some of that will be fat loss and then they should be all fat from there on out. I would say that the first 5 or so lbs will be water and it will drop off very quick (first 4-5 days). This is really going to depend on how overweight you are, the more over weight the quicker the fat can come off.

2lb a week is kind of the consensus upper bound for how much (non water) weight you can lose in a week. Your food intake would need to be about 1000 calories below maintenance per day.

You might be able to lose a bit more than 2lb/week if you're really big currently. But that wouldn't be sustainable IMO.

• Upvote 1

I've always felt like those weight loss 'systems' are a scam. People mistake thirst for hunger, so not drinking enough water can be detrimental to a diet. A lot of these systems require a lot of water, so I feel like they are piggybacking their results on what you would have seen had you just remained hydrated.

I could be wrong...

Edited by OsuMj

Nutrisystem is just expensive ass portion control really. The expensive part works for me cause I've already paid for food and helps me from cheating and paying for other food at this point. Just did the 10 day trial to try and kick start better portion control and calorie counting

I started at 250 and I'm only 5'9" so in my opinion im considerably overweight. I've never been a skinny guy but my weight now is just far too unhealthy

I just looked back at my exercise stats, and realized I only work out about 4 1/2 hours a month, burnt ~21,000 Calories in the past year through my tracked exercises. There's a new goal, work out more than 4.5 hours a month!!