US States, Motorcycles per capita, OHIO ranks...

turnone

The numbers might be correct, but the methodology is suspect from a statistical point of view. Overall their numbers are about right (even though they say it backwards IMHO) with about 3 people out of 108 riding motorcycles.

Socioeconomic factors play a larger role than weather in most cases. This is a generalization, but typically the wealthy and the poor do not ride. Motorcycling in the US is largely a middleclass, and in the past a rather blue collar, activity. Ohio is usually one of the top 5 or 6 states for total motorcycle registrations.   

No matter how you slice it motorcycling is not that popular in the US. There is a very small percentage of the population that rides. :( 

• Upvote 1

16th is actually pretty high up there given the less than ideal riding climate a (large, this year) handful of months out of the year. I'd expect the southern and western states to have more riders simply due to the climate.

Look at the list again. The top half of the list is cold weather states including Alaska at 10 and Maine at 12. Its not until you get down to the 20s do you start to see states with long riding seasons. I guess the long winter makes you appreciate being outside more.

Craig

• Upvote 1

Look at the list again. The top half of the list is cold weather states including Alaska at 10 and Maine at 12. Its not until you get down to the 20s do you start to see states with long riding seasons. I guess the long winter makes you appreciate being outside more.

Craig

I didn't even look at the list, I guess my theory is shit :lol:

I'm amazed at the small number of bikes I see on the streets when I visit family in Texas.  But their traffic is a whole lot "worse" than most of ours up here.   I'm not sure I would ride that much down there. Roads are either way congested, or just straight and flat.   Borinnnnggggg.   Plus, its soooo hot in the summer that they spend it indoors/ in their AC'ed cars.   Their riding season isn't much longer than ours, all things considered.   And its all relative.  "Why on earth do you want to live where its cold for four months out of the year?".  "Why do you want to live where its too damn hot for four months out of the year?".