Newb question here - Chain Care

jd724

I'm just curious guys. I've tried everything on my chain and finally went back to what the owners manual says (clean with kerosene, lube with 90w gear oil) I've used spray lubes and spray wax special chain cleaners and the 3-sided brush.  I seemed to get a lot of fling-off with both of those and I'll be honest its a pain to heat up the chain before lubing. It just makes me nervous to ride with a dry chain even for a few mins. A mechanic I know says the waxes suck.  I haven't had any chains  wear out on me pre-maturely I don't think. I had 19k on my Kat before I had to replace the chain and as far as I can tell my Z's chain is fine at 7500 miles. Just curious what you guys think and I'm bored.

Original Bike Spirits "my favorite" or Bel Ray Super Clean are the all around best I have ever used "I have tried them all". Cleaning a chain is not necessary, matter of fact I believe it is counterproductive and removes all of the lube where it needs to stay. Using a grunge brush or any type of solvent is a NO NO, but don't just take my word for it. Wipe the chain free of residue and road grime with nothing but a rag, lubing the chain is all you need to do. The chain will actually self clean to a point, hence why you just wipe it down and re-lube. Yes you are going to get some fling off, get a shaft drive if that drives you crazy. ;)  My bikes get washed in the rain or during a creek or water crossing, having a clean motorcycle is counter productive. :)

Chain wax is going to give you the least fling. But fling its a fact of life. I agree don't clean the hell out of it. Wipe the outside with a rag, wax it and let it dry over night. Perhaps the issue is you are over lubing it.....putting to much on perhaps.

Klotz klr is the best thing i've found. Sprays on really thin to get down inside the chain then the solvent evaporates to leave a lubricant film that won't fling off. Chain has to be warm. Don't be afraid to warm your chain up, a few times around the block isn't gonna hurt it.

And now here's 25 other people and their opinions on chain care which will eventually devolve into an Internet pissing match.

I use the Dupont multi-use lube also. But it has to be the dry lube. Web Bike World did I good review on it. Although last I heard they changed the formula and now is crap. I bought dozen right before they changed it so I'm on my last can :-(

Also put the lube on after a ride. I just put the bike on stands right after I get back home from work and spay with lube while still warm. I then clean the chain with wd40 once a month.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I use DUPONT multi-use lubricant. 25K on the chain with no issues.

I use that also. They did change the formula. I prefer the older blue can. It's still around some places if you look. And I have seen squirt bottles of it (not aerosol spray). That's smaller and can travel on the bike easier.

But I still believe in buying a really good chain, and then you pretty much don't have to do anything to it.

The factory lube on new chains ( DID Xring Golds that I buy anyway ) appears to be just a simple lubriplate type of product thats job is likely only a rust inhibiter while it sits on the shelf moreso than offer extended protection while you're riding.  

Some guys prefer cleaning/oiling the chain, some of us prefer chain wax, others use simple WD40 ( just apply it more often ).   I'm a chain wax fan since it seems to be lower maintenance with cleaning up fling and less frequent reapplication ( once every 800-1000 miles ).  

My 14 gets a kerosene and soft toothbrush/rag cleaning once a year every Spring, then I take it out for a spin to warm it before a light coat of chain wax - and I typically replace chain/sprockets around every 10k for MY peace of mind......I don't really monitor stretch other than just keeping my eye on how much adjustment I've had to do over the years, sprocket wear is usually nominal but I never replace a chain without replacing sprockets.....but that's my personal preference.

Whatever you decide, just don't overdo it with any lubricant/wax and the fling wont be nearly as bad, but it's generally inevitable once the chain is warm and you hit highway speeds anyway.   Basic nature of the beast with chain driven bikes

Once you do need to replace the chain/sprockets.....DO NOT convert your 14 to a 520 series, keep with the 530 on these brutes or the stretch will be worse and your risk of chain break increases

Once you do need to replace the chain/sprockets.....DO NOT convert your 14 to a 520 series, keep with the 530 on these brutes or the stretch will be worse and your risk of chain break increases

Always thought the conversion was stupid on any street bike. Why purposely make the chain weaker just to save a couple pounds.

Always thought the conversion was stupid on any street bike. Why purposely make the chain weaker just to save a couple pounds.

It's probably more of a race/track thing?  I did it on my YZF1000, but it was an old carbed '97 at about 135hp......not even close to the 185+hp and 114lbft I play with now.

It's probably more of a race/track thing? I did it on my YZF1000, but it was an old carbed '97 at about 135hp......not even close to the 185+hp and 114lbft I play with now.

Just seems like a lot of people do it just because "all the cool kids are doing it"..lol..me personally I want the chain to be as strong as it can be, I dont care if im on a 250 or a 1400. If I want to shave a few pounds ill go take a good healthy one before I ride :D Edited by 2talltim
  • Upvote 1

I did it on mine but for a 600 I dong believe they have the raw power to punish a chain like big bore bikes do. I also went about 16000 miles on my last set. Chain seemed fine and teeth looked good except for the broken teeth. Didn't like that.

Just seems like a lot of people do it just because "all the cool kids are doing it"..

Its a disease or something. Many of us spend a fair amount of time and money fixing stuff on our bikes that isn't broke.

• Upvote 2

I don't even own a bike with a chain anymore. LoL.Connie and the wife's V Star are shaft drive.

Ahhh, yes.....my next step is a Connie, but I may still hang on to the hyper as long as my shoulders/wrists/back/ass can handle it

I use the Dupont multi-use lube also. But it has to be the dry lube. Web Bike World did I good review on it. Although last I heard they changed the formula and now is crap. I bought dozen right before they changed it so I'm on my last can :-(

Also put the lube on after a ride. I just put the bike on stands right after I get back home from work and spay with lube while still warm. I then clean the chain with wd40 once a month.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

The Original Bike Spirits is the overall favorite of Web Bike world now I believe, if not is was a very close second. It barely flings off, and it almost acts like a hybrid wax and dry lube film......stuff is the shit and all I use now. The original Dupont was pretty good stuff, although I am not totally sold on the dry lube film. Friend of mine gets 30K plus "safely" on his chains, and he NEVER cleans them except for a simple wipe off with a rag when they get dirty. He lubes about every 600 miles "as I do" and he rides probably 40 to 40K per year. Cleaning a chain meticulously is overrated, but do it if it makes you feel better. :)