Best Seats for Indy MotoGP

DAC

I'm planning to go to the Indy MotoGP this year for the first time.  Any input on where good seats are?  Haven't been to the raceway in a loooong time.  Other tips are appreciated as well.

Thanks!

if it is your first time I would suggest infield GA tickets. There are plenty of good spots to see the race and you have the freedom to walk around. If you want to get a good idea for views I recommend going to Friday or Saturday's sessions. The  entire place is GA and you can get a good idea of the sight lines. My seats are in the SW vista, top row. If I had the money I would upgrade to the Penthouse seats in turn 1. Other advice, don't park inside the track if riding (expensive and a pain in the ass to get out). We park across the street at the IRL offices. $20 for a 3 day bike pass. Buy the lap pass and ride the track. If you are going for the weekend, and not staying downtown, make the trip in one night to see all the bikes and enjoy the party.

Edited by cmh_sprint

if it is your first time I would suggest infield GA tickets. There are plenty of good spots to see the race and you have the freedom to walk around. If you want to get a good idea for views I recommend going to Friday or Saturday's sessions. The  entire place is GA and you can get a good idea of the sight lines. My seats are in the SW vista, top row. If I had the money I would upgrade to the Penthouse seats in turn 1. Other advice, don't park inside the track if riding (expensive and a pain in the ass to get out). We park across the street at the IRL offices. $20 for a 3 day bike pass. Buy the lap pass and ride the track. If you are going for the weekend, and not staying downtown, make the trip in one night to see all the bikes and enjoy the party.

^^^THIS^^^

Matt and I met in the grandstands last year for Friday's practice and had a great view around Penthouse boxes 16-17 thru 24-25 about top row "J".   Can see the front straight, and turn 1 through turn 4-5 -- not to mention the shade/breeze up there, or protection from the rain if it's inclimate.

A group of us walked the infield last year on race day and had decent views from the mounds, but you're baking under the sun the whole time and with little elevation it's difficult to see much racing action.   We parked in Lot 2 where a few others camped, which made it simple to get in/out and wasn't too expensive with the supertickets

I am an Indy native and have been to every GP race in every section...

If you are going for the first time I highly suggest that you do GA for Friday and Saturday and buy reserved for the race on Sunday. The top of the stands in the north section of H or top of the stands in the south section of J  are the best seats in my opinion. Spend Friday and Saturday wandering around and watch the race in the stands. Why reserved seats you ask/ Simple...they get you access to the track lap and pit pass. If you call the group sales reps directly for the Brickyard they will usually just give you the group ticket prices and you can get the entire package for usually $115-120 for the entire weekend. The track layout has changed slightly for this year mostly are the beginning and ending sections. While you are in Indy be sure to check out Motorcycles on Meridian on Friday and Saturday nights and go the Indy Mile if you've never seen flat track racing. Good times. Good times.

• Upvote 2

My $.02...  Go to the infield.  Watch from around Turn 8 where they are running the right hander onto the middle straightaway.  The reason for this is if you are a true enthusiast, you can watch them roll to wide open throttle and listen to the riders' TC choices.  The bikes can be seen working suspension and everything.

The added bonus is that all the riders do their mock starts from the middle straight.  Pretty cool.

As far as bike parking, if you have a Ducati, you get to park in Ducati only parking and it is UBER easy to get out.

The grandstands and areas outside the track are cool for the sound and speed.  But you are looking at them in very small sizes.  I'm not a huge fan of at the races viewing, but if I am there, I want to see things working and hear the setups each rider uses...Come by and say hey at the Ducati tents...

• Upvote 2

Brian, best seat is next to you during a race... I think I would learn more of what I am hearing and see more than I have noticed in the past...lol. I enjoyed the infield more. My adrenaline seems to kick in more watching them flip the bikes through the S turns and the sound is beautiful, like music. The little 250s were cool to see too...but I am bias.

Edited by snot

Brian, best seat is next to you during a race... I think I would learn more of what I am hearing and see more than I have noticed in the past...lol. I enjoyed the infield more. My adrenaline seems to kick in more watching them flip the bikes through the S turns and the sound is beautiful, like music. The little 250s were cool to see too...but I am bias.

I owe Hellmut for the sprinter connection.  So, you guys come see me this year at the Ducati Grandstands and we will hook up.

The track has a new viewing mound inside of the essess (turn 15 &16) before the main straight. Traditionally the most action has been near that section of the track and the layout has changed so more speed can be achieved. The majority practice starts are usually done there at the end of each practice prior to going into the pits. 

if you want to check out the track prior, the Indianapolis GP (Indy cars on the road course) will be held on Saturday, May 10th. The GA tickets are only $25. It will be an 82 lap race so plenty of time to walk the track.