first street ride since 2011... what did I forget?

redkow97

tire pressures are between 36 and 40 lbs.

I re-installed the horn (had to remove it to use the steering-stem front stand...)

brake/headlights are working

I put fresh gas in the bike

the only thing i'm technically "missing" is that i removed the cotter pin for the front axle nut.

What else am I forgetting to check on a street bike I have never ridden?

It looks like I will be getting wet, but oh well.  It's not like I'm trying to qualify for an AMA grid...

Good looking out.

I have inspected the brakes and chain thoroughly. Cleaned the bike up a lot over winter.

Will check fluids before i roll. I do have a small oil leak. About a drop a month. Thinking I just need a new crush washer.

Where ya headed?

Also don't you have safety wire to replace the cotter pin? I've never used it so I have no idea if it's a pain in the ass or an easy quick fix. I'm sure it's not even necessary but for piece of mind suppose over the long haul

Edited by Bad324

Well, the bike performed up to expectations :D

A lot of people told me I would be disappointed in the katana because the EX500 was only marginally slower and a lot lighter.

That was not my experience today at all. The acceleration was night and day better than the EX. Not 600RR territory, but better than expected from a bike of this heft, that isn't in a perfect state of tune.

I didn't try to flick the Kat through any curved roads, and I know it will suffer there, but if highway ramps and city maneuvers were any indication, I can live with it!

Oh, and my friend's 7 and 9 yr old neighbors think I am the coolest cat in the world.

• Upvote 1

I tried a little ride with a missing cotter pin once. Bad idea. Lost the castle nut and dropped the strut off for the rear brake drum assembly. Spun the assembly when I hit the brakes. Destroyed the assembly and cable. Almost ate the back end of a car.

edit: Yeah, safety wire works. So does a chunk of coat hanger.

Edited by ReconRat

I did safety wire the castle nut before heading out.

This bike hasn't seen the track, so the side stand kill switch is functional. I may jump it later though. You can't forget the side stand on a bike this heavy...

I do find myself acting like I'm on the XR though. I get off the bike and THEN I put the side stand down. Weird habit that I'm sure will change.

Also, the quick (and extremely conservative) math backs up my butt-dyno. Estimating 420 lbs and 50 horsepower for the EX500, that's 8.4 lbs. per hp. Estimating 550 lbs and 85 hp for the katana, that's only 6.4 lbs per hp. And I think the katana weighs less than 550 with all the parts I removed (at least 30 lbs worth), and does (or will) make more than 85hp with a better tune.

You'd have to check the kat forums and see which style valve train you have (screw and nut tappets vs shim over bucket vs dual lobe/single lobe) and see what is available. It really is a simple job. Remove tank and coils, take off valve cover, remove timing cover, rotate motor to timing mark, mark cam chain and sprocket with a paint marker, remove tensioner, remove cams and swap sprockets, time and volt in. Can do it in the frame too.

• 3 weeks later...

took the bike out last night for the first fully legal test ride.  I had previously lacked mirrors, front signals, and a speedometer.

All I have left to be "done" with this bike is to paint the gas tank.  The tail and front fender are done, and I was able to clean/inspect the brake calipers and pads while I had the wheel off to remove the fender.

My $10 LED turn signals came yesterday, and I was lucky enough that my wife took the baby to dinner with her sister, giving me a chance to install them right away.  So the signals were soldered up to the factory plugs, covered with heat-shrink and electrical tape, and then mounted up to the bike.

I had installed the bar-end mirror last week, and the GPS has been functional for a few days now.  Everything worked great on the road.  The only problem I encountered is that the GPS unit catches the wind, and wants to fold forward toward me above 65 mph, or if I hit a bump on the highway.  I think the solution will be to construct a small 'leash' to limit the movement so that it can only reach a 75 degree angle, or possibly less. 

But for $25 (the GPS is from eBay) I am very pleased with the result.  All together, I am probably into this bike for less than $700, and it's looking and riding how I want it.

I have more cleaning and minor maintenance to do, but for now, I am very pleased!

Edited by redkow97

• 2 weeks later...

You'd have to check the kat forums and see which style valve train you have (screw and nut tappets vs shim over bucket vs dual lobe/single lobe) and see what is available. It really is a simple job. Remove tank and coils, take off valve cover, remove timing cover, rotate motor to timing mark, mark cam chain and sprocket with a paint marker, remove tensioner, remove cams and swap sprockets, time and volt in. Can do it in the frame too.

IIRC, the 2000 should have screw and nut tappets. The 97 and earlier kats had shim over bucket. But don't quote me....... check KatRiders.com