In or Out - Off or On

Tonik

Insert title here.  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Do you park in gear or out of gear?

2. 2. Do you start your bike while on or while off the bike>

In gear, most of the time... driveway is a hill, work parking is a slight slant... figure it keeps the bike from rolling... the rest of the time, it's become a habit.

I start the bike both ways, but more often off the bike... If I am afforded the ability to let the bike warm up without annoying the neighbors, I shift to nuetral, start her up, and put my gear on while shes warming up... If the bikes is already warm... I hop on, clutch in, and roll

OK I have to ask.... Why the fuck would anyone ever Park in neutral? Do you just roll up in a manual trans car and do the same, no brake, neutral, and hope it never rolls anywhere? I've never even considered that people do this... I'm pretty confused

Edited by Steve Butters

Yikes... To each their own... Anything manual trans I Park in gear, let it roll until trans binds it, then parking brake if applicable... My dad's gfs parking brake failed one night and her car rolled down the driveway into the road and across into the neighbors yard ... I don't trust that shit

Edited by Steve Butters

I don't let my vehicles get to the point of failure, so it's never been an issue. I also always use my parking brake, even in my automatics. I'll put it in neutral, set the brake, then put the transmission in park. I don't let the weight of the vehicle rest on the transmission. Always on the brakes.

Guess I phrased my post wrong.. With the bike, I roll it until it stops and then put kickstand down.. I like resting it against trans so it can't roll forward and fold up kickstand... With cars, I let them rest on brakes but still put in gear for extra assurance.. If car brakes fail and it rolls 6 inches, it's not a big deal like it could be on a bike that somehow gets rolled forward

I park in neutral, never had a bike magically roll forward while parked...maybe it's because I always point the front up hill...

Been parking in neutral for 40 years. Never had an issue. Have I done it a time or two in extreme cases on insane hills yes. But it has to be something insane before I bother.

Edited by Tonik

Park in gear   on a slope, with a chance of rolling.

Park out of gear   on a flat.

Center stand gives me options.  I don't want to fiddle

with the shifter when I'm starting it up.

Start while off   because it's warming up while I'm

suiting up.  It's usually ready to go before I am.

Start while on   if I'm already suited up and the bike

is warm and runs without needing the choke.

I shut it back off if it's fully warmed up and I'm not

fully dressed.  Then, I mount and fire it up to go.

My biggest issue is how lean it on a slope so it is stable.

Edited by JackFlash

I always leave mine in neutral. Usually so I can let go of the clutch before I shut it down. I also like to start my bikes in neutral as typically I'm not on it when I do so it saves me from having to put it in neutral prior to starting.

With my truck, I let that 7000lbs beast chill on the parking pawl. If I got the trailer on with 10000lbs loaded, throw'er in "p" and walk away. No Phucks given!

I wish I had a bike I could park like a bmx bike. Remember doing that? Roll up to your friends house and and just set that thing down, on the left side though, so you don't bend the sprocket.

• Upvote 2

Park in gear

start in neutral

usually on the bike when I start it.

The car I throw in park an walk away.

If its a manual car I park in gear, E-brake on , and wheels turned towards curb. Why? Because shit happens.

• Upvote 1

Park in gear

start in neutral

usually on the bike when I start it.

The car I throw in park an walk away.

If its a manual car I park in gear, E-brake on , and wheels turned towards curb. Why? Because shit happens.

Glad I'm not the only one who doesn't trust a parking brake cable or "it's flat enough here, no need" with a vehicle I spent thousands on

Always park in gear with anything that has a clutch

Start in neutral 99% of the time

Always get on the bike when I start it.

Always get on the bike from the high side (right Side)

Nice lol never met someone who gets on bike from right... Maybe just muscle memory from always getting on from left, but when I try from right it seems much more difficult

Always get on the bike from the high side (right Side)

Hold that thought, that is Monday's poll. I am a righty too. Get the leg up then it can go lower as you slide it across rather than having to go higher if you mount from the left. Also lets you hold the brake as you get on,

Hold that thought, that is Monday's poll. I am a righty too. Get the leg up then it can go lower as you slide it across rather than having to go higher if you mount from the left. Also lets you hold the brake as you get on,

When your as short as me its the left, I can't touch if I go from the right. Look at the epic pics at the gas station.

post-13773-0-72193600-1402102379_thumb.j

Edited by snot

When your as short as me its the left, I can't touch if I go from the right. Look at the epic pics at the gas station.

Have you considered running up from behind it and jumping on that way...like a bareback horse mount?

• Upvote 1

Seems like a great idea for people with luggage... I rode something with a tailbag once and it was awkward getting on it from the left lol