Titling a bike from out of State

Josh1234

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. But has anyone had any experience with buying a bike titled in North Carolina?  The seller insists that both parties need to physically be present. I think I've only every purchased from non-notary states before and there is the whole thing about just certifying the sellers signature.  Anyone have any insight? Thanks

-Mike

On 2/11/2017 at 10:29 PM, mike884 said:

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. But has anyone had any experience with buying a bike titled in North Carolina?  The seller insists that both parties need to physically be present. I think I've only every purchased from non-notary states before and there is the whole thing about just certifying the sellers signature.  Anyone have any insight? Thanks

-Mike

I purchased a Yamaha R6 a couple of years ago from NC. I had to take the bike to the BMV when getting the Ohio title. Basically they walked around it, looked at the vin on the triple tree and said "yup this is the bike" and walked back inside and filed for the new title. Title was signed by seller and motorized before i showed up to purchase.

i actually called two NC notaries myself...  both denied doing anything unless both a buyer and seller was present  

did lots of googling, found nothing that prohibits it, and I know it isn't prohibited....  but apparently no willing stampers.  :dunno:   stupid.. i know

Edited by mike884

11 hours ago, mike884 said:

So it was notarized in NC for the seller only correct?  The problem I have is a seller finding a notary to do the "seller only"

Yes. Where in NC is it? If close to Charlotte i can probably help you out.

• 10 months later...

one more resurrection to this thread.  i'm looking at a bike from New York State. Seller has title with a lien from Yamaha, however he just recently got a notarized lien release from yamaha financial.  Will Ohio accept the title and release letter? Or should I have him apply for a clear title, which I guess might take some time in new york state. Anyone have any input? Thanks

^^^ I second this. I had a buddy buy a vehicle from NY and got screwed. Do your homework. My buddy said he thought he was good, but in the end he was missing something and never could get the vehicle titled. 

• 2 weeks later...