Bilt riding gear

redkow97

The reviews I found online are not positive, but this stuff is sooooo cheeeeaaap I am compelled to try it.

Has anyone actually owned a set of the Bilt gloves?   Their top-of-the-line 'track' model is $39 (half off) in the latest Cycle Gear ad.  It appears that Cycle Gear is also the exclusive distributor.

My Cortech Adrenaline gloves are falling apart on me.  They have survived multiple crashes, but after about a year of use, I'm busting through seams during normal riding (noticed on my commute home yesterday). 

I'm not averse to spending $100 on decent gloves, but if the Bilt's are half as good for 40% of the price, I'm also okay replacing them more often.

have you actually owned anything made by them?

My guess is no, heard a bad remark and formed opinion. Ones that have owned would follow up with why they say garbage. If you're getting them for OMRL I say why not. We don't usually crash too hard so I'm sure they'd be fine. May be pleasantly surprised.

I've got a few items from Bilt that have faired pretty well over the last few years of ownership.  I've got a pair of their summer textile pants and some of their dirt gear and it's perfectly functional.  Only criticism I have is that the pants aren't as well optioned--pockets/zippers/etc--as the more pricey gear.  No quality issues, tho.  I've also got some winter gear--pants, gloves, neck warmer--that I bought on the cheap from Jaffrum (another discount gear online retailer) that have performed well, too.  Not saying that the top dollar stuff isn't worth the money, but for a typical rider, the gear is fine.  IMHO….

ADD:  I think the big quality issue with the cheaper race gear is the integrity of the sewn seams and the fabric thickness.  Don't want those to separate/wear thru when/if you go down.  No experience with the race gear, so I can't comment.

Edited by Bubba

My guess is no, heard a bad remark and formed opinion. Ones that have owned would follow up with why they say garbage. If you're getting them for OMRL I say why not. We don't usually crash too hard so I'm sure they'd be fine. May be pleasantly surprised.

My plan is to spend the $40 on them and see if they're up to the abuse OMRL throws at them. I don't crash my gloves very hard, but I do tend to wear through the palm on the bark busters, and blow-out finger seams from frequent use.

If they are deemed worthy of OMRL use, I'll be thoroughly impressed. If not, I will use them as street gloves, and (hopefully) make my next set of Cortech Adrenaline II's last an extra race season. 

Edited by redkow97

From what I've read it's decent gear, just don't expect it to last long, especially after a crash. There have been several people report that the gear protected as it should but was destroyed in the process. The lesson is, don't leave the house.

My brand name suit didn't fare too well at the PIRC round with the sumo lay down so why not lol

if your ass faired well, I think the suit did its job well enough.  More crashes are just a bonus.

I have a pair of BILT moisture wicking warm weather pants (think knock off Under Armor).  They seem to work OK, but they do show wear after going through the washing machine a few times.  They'll be fine for a season, possibly 2.  I think they cost me 20 bucks. 

What Bubba said. I've seen it, felt it, been in the industry for a LONG time, I know good from bad, like Bubba said, decent enough, but longevity isn't a strong point for race gear, regardless of price point.

I bought my daughter a Bilt jacket, helmet and gloves, she's almost 11.  I did research, read reviews and all 3 seem good to me and trust they will protect her in the event we ever crash (God forbid).  I don't ride far with her and generally less than 35-40mph.

now I'm tempted to try some of their stuff.  I don't ride heavily (so far) so I can expect an extended lifespan as compared to someone who rides a lot, and cheap is what I'm looking for.... Well, inexpensive, anyway.

now I'm tempted to try some of their stuff.  I don't ride heavily (so far) so I can expect an extended lifespan as compared to someone who rides a lot, and cheap is what I'm looking for.... Well, inexpensive, anyway.

that's what I'm saying... as a backup pair of gloves, or as a way to make my track gloves last a little longer by not wearing them on the street, I think they'll work great.

If they hold up to track use for $40, then that's just a bonus...  I will have to inspect the palms mostly.   That seems to be what I tear up through normal use.  Crashes have been more impacts than slides.

• 5 months later...

Bilt gear is, at best, disposable

Single needle,tailoring

Subpar fabrics

There non protective gear, heatgear, cold gear etc. is a good deal

But,there is no,way I would,trust that gear to keep me out of the hospital at anything over about 28 miles an hour