Electrical issue honda CBR

Calinazaret

Howdy folks, I've got this bizarre problem with my headlights function intermittently. Here's what I know:

1) when they work, both the low and high work, and when they don't, they both go out.

2) the teeny tiny third head light above the other two always functions.

3) if I flip the key to on, and the light doesn't come on, very gently touching the engine start button will make the lights come on, but sometimes they go back off a second or two later and I have to press it again.

4) the problem is only at startup. On e the lights are on and I'm riding they stay on.

5) it doesn't appear to matter how long the bike has been sitting. Sometimes they'll start right up like normal even if the bike has say for a week and then it sits for an hour and they won't work.

6) I'm not certain by it appears to be getting worse.

Any ideas? I seem to be managing ok but one of these days I'm afraid of getting stuck somewhere at night with no headlight. And if I have some idea of what it might be -before- I go to the shop I'm less likely to get run over.

Could be bad ground wire somewhere, would be best to trace the wiring for the lights pretty much all the way through and make sure the connections all look good, I've seen many headlight sockets get fucked up and screw up the whole lighting system. Would start at the bulb/socket

Could be bad ground wire somewhere, would be best to trace the wiring for the lights pretty much all the way through and make sure the connections all look good, I've seen many headlight sockets get fucked up and screw up the whole lighting system. Would start at the bulb/socket

I thought about that, but it's curious how both the low and high beams function or don't together. And why would lightly pressing the engine start switch (not enlightened he turn the starter) make the lights come back on?

Also, I got new tires yesterday! So I'm game to ride. During the day, at least.

I thought about that, but it's curious how both the low and high beams function or don't together. And why would lightly pressing the engine start switch (not enlightened he turn the starter) make the lights come back on?

Wow I really need to proof read my shit. "*Not enough to turn the starter"

yeah, sound like one of those quirky electrical problems that you might just end up having to go through the wiring to fix.

Good to hear, don't worry though, can always resort to flash light and duck tape ;)

They both use the same ground, and if there is a relay as mentioned below they would use the same relay. So if either of them is partially failing then that fits the symptoms.  The starter switch is what triggers the lights on in the first place...pretty much all bikes are like that. If I turn my key on...no lights...but a quick tap of the starter they go on.  So the second time you tap it the ground or relay issue fixes itself. It is most certainly something like that. I would bet it is a ground, either the ground for the relay or the ground for the lights themselves.  Take the connections apart for the headlights...they are probably corroded and not making full contact. Look at them, they will look crusty and green if I am right. 

I guess Yamaha's are different. From off, turning the key does not turn on the headlights, only the tail and parking lights. One I hit the starter the headlights come on.

I was going to suggest that, but based on what tpoppa said it's probably not the case.

Is the issue consistent or intermittent?

Pretty sure that it's a bad connection in your starter switch on the handlebar.  Most of the modern bikes run the current for the lights thru the start switch so that it momentarily interrupts the current to the lights during the start sequence.  It's a cheap way to do it, but it's been a problem for late-model Suzukis as well.  Take the switch apart and clean the contacts well, use some dielectric grease when you put it back together.  If the contacts are shot from arcing and corrosion, you might have to replace the switch.

I wired a couple of relays into the lighting harness of my '09 WeeStrom so that the main lighting current is shunted thru relays and only the small current required to operate the relay runs thru the switch.  This is actually a worthwhile fix, as it also increases your light output due to less current loss--a typical installation will run the lighting juice straight from the battery or your main fuse block direct to headlights (thru the relays).  You should be able to Google this and possibly find a custom plug-n-play harness to fix your bike.  Good luck!

Edited by Bubba

Julie:  Just to clarify, it's not your ignition switch.  It's the starter button on the handlebar.

In normal operation, the current for your lights runs thru the starter switch in the undepressed position.  When you depress the switch, it cuts the current to the lights and sends current to the starter relay.  It's the current surge when the lights are instantly shut off and then back on that burns the contacts.  That and dirt, moisture, oxidation, etc.  At least that's the way the Zuk's work….

Edited by Bubba

Honda electrics ..... grrrr 

Ideas

- -Take apart the switch gear and clean out the connections. 

-- Double check battery.... charge overnite and then get load tested.

--- Have seen screwball lights/dash behaviour with iffy charging system garbage..... Do a quick idle and 5000 rpm volt check. (multimeter needed)

--- check stator connector..... and check grounds....

Edited by mello dude

Julie: Just to clarify, it's not your ignition switch. It's the starter button on the handlebar.

In normal operation, the current for your lights runs thru the starter switch in the undepressed position. When you depress the switch, it cuts the current to the lights and sends current to the starter relay. It's the current surge when the lights are instantly shut off and then back on that burns the contacts. That and dirt, moisture, oxidation, etc. At least that's the way the Zuk's work….

I had to read this like 4 times but I finally got it. Lol

I had the exact same problem on my 954 and I did exactly what Bubba is suggesting. When I got mine apart, the contacts were in dire need of a cleaning! I cleaned them up, put on some dielectric grease and haven't had it happen again.

Common issue on many sportbikes.

I had the exact same problem on my 954 and I did exactly what Bubba is suggesting. When I got mine apart, the contacts were in dire need of a cleaning! I cleaned them up, put on some dielectric grease and haven't had it happen again.

Common issue on many sportbikes.

Sweet!