crashed today....

banditj13

Well, I have joined the "bit by loose gravel" club.

I was headed to meet up with the brother in law and his brother for a ride around Amish country. Turned right at an intersection, the gravel blended in with the asphalt, and I didn't see it. Rolled the throttle out of the turn, but was right on top of the gravel... was entirely rider mistake...  In my attempt to upright the bike, I managed to flip it to far and put it down on the left side.

Was only going 10-15mph or so...

Broke the left side foot peg, and scraped up the plastics, bar end, clutch lever  and left side engine case cover... all cosmetic... doesn't appear to be any mechanical damage.

the woodcraft frame and swingarm sliders got chewed up, but did there jobs.

med_gallery_13395_1572_421056.jpg

med_gallery_13395_1572_1029630.jpg

med_gallery_13395_1572_596269.jpg

med_gallery_13395_1572_529861.jpg

med_gallery_13395_1572_19859.jpg

had all my gear on, and the only damage to the gear I can find is my helmet... it's scraped up a bit

med_gallery_13395_1572_1229479.jpg

We've all been there once or twice. Glad to see you faired ok with only cosmetic damage. The bike can be fixed, you are much harder to fix looks like you had gear on though. After i totaled my bike i upgraded my gear big time. Look at it as a expensive leason learned.

As soon as I can get, at the very minimum, a replacement foot-peg ordered in, I will be in the saddle again... that's the only thing preventing me from riding right now... the rest will either be ignored or fixed over time...

Looks like it will be around $45 from honda for the peg.

The turn signal actually went back together without issue, and the rest is truly cosmetic...

As to gear... I am sooooo glad I had it all on, even in the low speed that I went down, and even if it is a bit to big (due to recent weight loss)... it did it's job, and did it very well!

I will be riding again soon!

Glad to see you're ok and I agree with Derek by recommending getting a new helmet.  They are one time use sort of things and even at "low speed" that foam compresses and becomes much less useful in the event of another impact.

Edited by jacobhawkins

appreciate all the comments...I finally got the foot peg ordered and on its way... 

I pulled the fairings off to inspect for any other damage, and discovered that the fairing stay is warped (the fairings never lined up right to begin with...) but no other damage was discovered.

I am waiting on payday before I can continue, but once the payday hits, I am looking at a gear upgrade, including the helmet.

I keep checking the tracking number on the foot peg... thinking maybe it will get here faster... I watch the good weather go by... knowing I can't ride yet....errrgh!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the bike is finally back up and running...

The total damage:

New Footpeg (why did honda decide to call these "steps"?)   $15 flea-bay score OEM part

New upper fairing stay (plastic stay, driver side headlight tab broke in the crash, headlight wouldn't stay in place) $70 Honda dealership order

New windscreen bolt kit (2 of the Honda OEM plastic bolts snaped...) $9 flea-bay score for a full bolt kit including black metal bolts 

The fairings are scratched up, and the mid-cowl cracked, but it all is holding together fine, so no plans to replace those for now. (I would rather ride)

Should I plan on an oil change after dumping the bike? - I seem to have it stuck in my head that the gas and oil might possibly be able to mix? Looking through the sight glass, the oil looks fine, and the bike ran fine to get it home...