Epicohioride.com - a ride for anyone with a any bike :P

NinjaDoc

After seeing the distinguished ride thingy i thought why not make up some thing for the epic ride as well. It will be easier to tell others outside the forum, sort of one stop for all information regarding the ride, and also give it some sort of legitimacy :D Only thing i wanted to highlight was the ride being open to all and no "cyclism" (no discrimination based on your motorcycle lol ) here. So here it is, had some off time today and put this up real quick. Didnt optimize for mobile viewing. May be later on i will spend more time to make a better stylized one.  as always i dont plan on making any money of this site so it will be ad free. Its not the state of the art website, just a hobby i picked up. All i know is simple html and css etc

So here it is the half done quick website: http://epicohioride.com/index.html

Wanted to ask Dizzledan if i can link some of his pictures/ videos in there.

Second derek, any email id you have that i can link in the contact section?

Any other information that i can include there?

Edited by NinjaDoc
  • Upvote 2

What happened? I don't understand any of the logistics behind these things :( one thing I made sure was avoid the mph thingy on the description part. Other wise what else should I look out for?

Edited by NinjaDoc

What happened? I don't understand any of the logistics behind these things :( one thing I made sure was avoid the mph thingy on the description part. Other wise what else should I look out for?

If someone wrecks on your ride, there's probably something you could've done to prevent it. This means civil lawsuit. When we did Roll On Columbus (a non-riding event), we were required to carry a $1M insurance policy. This is why I didn't want the Ohio Riders name on the event. As a sponsor I could be named in a civil case. There's a reason nobody organizes rides like this for free. Get a lawyer. Get a release form. File for an LLC (protects personal assets from lawsuits). Get a blanket insurance policy. Cover your ass man.

Thats scary, but so hard to understand. If no one owns the ride and no organization is behind it who would they sue? Every one including me are participants. The website just provides information, no registration system, doesn't collect any money or information from any one? There are no proof that any one was part of this ride nor any one responsible for it etc

Are there any wording precaution to take? Or there is "no common sense rules" just be on the safe side and stop doing this?

Thats scary, but so hard to understand. If no one owns the ride and no organization is behind it who would they sue? Every one including me are participants. The website just provides information, no registration system, doesn't collect any money or information from any one? There are no proof that any one was part of this ride nor any one responsible for it etc

Are there any wording precaution to take? Or there is "no common sense rules" just be on the safe side and stop doing this?

The domain is registered to you I assume. That's one link. Plus your threads/posts here. If I get a subpoena, I'll be required by law to turn over anything I have.

If you're interested in doing it legit, let me know. I'd be more than happy to help/offer advice. Ohio Riders is an LLC for this exact reason. It doesn't cost much. Your best bet would be to set up a charitable non-profit organization, or 501©(3). I'd suggest raising money for cancer research. It's a cause near and dear to many of us. Get a blanket insurance policy for the non-profit to cover all events. To keep with your free thing, have a free ride option. But also have a not free one that include t-shirts, maps, etc as part of the registration. Encourage donations or fundraising. Donate all proceeds to said cause. Doing this enables corporate sponsorship. Sell spots on the back of the t-shirts. Again, donate all proceeds. You can likely get the shirts donated by a local shop. You could even organize an after-party, or get a local restaurant/bar to sponsor an "unofficial" after party.

I'm pretty sure I offered all this advice the first time you guys did this ride, but here it is again. If you want any help, let me know. If this ride goes legit, I'd be ecstatic to have OR's logo on it.

A while back I registered www.ohioriders.org in hopes that I'd start a charity side of OR. If you're interested, we could look into doing your event under that umbrella.

• Upvote 4

thats so complicated :( 

The beauty of this ride was its simplicity. No politics, no money, no charity no nothing,  The only thing that bought us together was the passion to ride and meet more new faces. And i believe every one who came out to ride also felt the same way. This is nothing more than a weekend group ride which we trying to celebrate by making it more social. Heck not even a major event when less than 100 core people shows up. Hardly any strangers, most are friends and others friends of friends.  Each and every person who showed up owns the ride and responsible for it, there is no registration, rules to follow and laws we make. And i am sure every one involved would like to keep it this way and maintain this pure simplicity of the ride. If they wanted to join an organization/charity based ride there are dime a dozen i suppose. 

Only aim for the site was when we invite others not from the forum community to provide them more information. By me putting up a website providing information to the ride to a wider audience makes me legally involved in this, i will take it down to prevent making it more complicated and target of more law suits. 

I like it Doc.

What about a disclaimer stating you are responsible for you?

ty snot, i was thinking it would be as simple as that, but what ben is saying makes some sense i guess. 

Wish some legal guys would chime in, 

thats so complicated :(

The beauty of this ride was its simplicity. No politics, no money, no charity no nothing, The only thing that bought us together was the passion to ride and meet more new faces. And i believe every one who came out to ride also felt the same way. This is nothing more than a weekend group ride which we trying to celebrate by making it more social. Heck not even a major event when less than 100 core people shows up. Hardly any strangers, most are friends and others friends of friends. Each and every person who showed up owns the ride and responsible for it, there is no registration, rules to follow and laws we make. And i am sure every one involved would like to keep it this way and maintain this pure simplicity of the ride. If they wanted to join an organization/charity based ride there are dime a dozen i suppose.

Only aim for the site was when we invite others not from the forum community to provide them more information. By me putting up a website providing information to the ride to a wider audience makes me legally involved in this, i will take it down to prevent making it more complicated and target of more law suits.

You've named it, make shirts for it, and now have a website for it. It's an organized event. I don't mean to be Debbie downer, but you have to be prepared. Even if you win, you still have to pay for your defense attorney.

The legal system has become so bad that by simply

asking your buddy if he wants to go riding with you,

you are almost taking full responsibility for his safety.

There are always those looking for a way to get some

money from others by going to court, and always some

lawyer willing to help them so that he can get a piece

of the pie.

• Upvote 2

I vote we make it a "not-for-profit", name Nivin the CEO and pay him a $863,000 salary.

Oh, wait, I'm mixing threads again.  I'm such a senile bastard.

Carry on.

• Upvote 2

You've named it, make shirts for it, and now have a website for it. It's an organized event. I don't mean to be Debbie downer, but you have to be prepared. Even if you win, you still have to pay for your defense attorney.

I can completely see Ben's perspective.  Ben, you're not being a downer, you're just trying to warn Nivin about the potential consequences without protection.

I'd say go for it.  Getting sued is a worst-case scenario, and it's clear that since WE ALL RIDE MOTORCYCLES, we're not willing to be deterred by a worst-case scenario.

That said, I do understand what Ben is saying.  

The thing is, it's not the nice and understanding riders to worry about, it's ambivalent insurance companies trying to reclaim payouts caused by an incident.  In a serious accident, there would be a wrecked bike or two, an injured or killed rider, injured or killed motorists, damage to private property and damage to public property (guard rails and such).  That's anywhere from a couple thousand to several hundred thousand dollars that insurance companies would either have to pay out or subrogate to reduce their losses.  And yes, there are also sleazy attorneys who make a practice of subrogation.

You can imagine how this would go.  Biker tries to keep up beyond their skill level and enters a turn too hot.  Gets scared and locks up, stares at the side of the road or an oncoming vehicle, gets on the brakes which stand up the bike and takes them into a very bad place.  Insurance company looks at the police report and determines that the road conditions were a bad choice by the organizer, as were the mismatched skill groupings and decides to name you as one of several defendants.  Because you're not protected by an LLC, your personal holdings are subject to whatever plea or judgements are achieved.

• Upvote 1

nah, u good. Some one with experience should always warn the noobs like me . I dont want to turn this into a big fiasco, all i wanted to do was design and put up some thing. I guess i will just take it down. Truth of the matter is no body is going to see this thing, no one really cares about the ride except for the core people that attend the ride most times. Why take a risk with no benefit to any one. :crytroll:

Doc, I'm going to speak with my best friend who is an attorney in Chicago.  He may have some more insight on this.   

I really like the website and for what it's worth, my email is derekclouser@gmail.com  if you do decide to keep the site open and want to include my contact info.  

It's possible that setting up a NPO or LLC might be best to help separate liabilities in case of worst scenario and it's only $125.00.  I'll get back to you with more information about what he says. 

So I just got off the phone with my attorney friend in Chicago.   I will preface with the fact that he didn't give me any legal information and is not a lawyer in Ohio, nor does he claim to know all Ohio laws...

With that said...

The website doesn't affect liability in the case of the ride, nor does organizing it.  We are merely riding a specific route and asking people to come along with us.  We aren't raising any money for anything besides shirts with a non-copyrighted logo and aren't profiting off the shirts from the event. 

While all this would prevent liability on ourselves/website, he did recommend however, to find like a skydiving website and copy/paste their liability clause just to be 100% transparent about everything and be safe about it.  

I found a disclaimer that may be useful. It will need to be slightly modified to include that by attending the Epic Ride, you agree to the following terms:

You acknowledge that you understand that motorcycle riding and touring is hazardous and may result in 
serious injury or death. You understand that this activity in which you are voluntarily participating has inherent risks (including death, 
loss of limb and permanent disability, and damage to or loss of property) that you assume. You certify that you are duly licensed and 
competent to operate a motorcycle in a safe manner, and the vehicle you will be operating during the ride is in safe and legal 
operating condition. You are solely responsible to determine the speed and operational characteristics of your motorcycle and your 
ability as a motorcycle operator while participating in the ride. You hereby agree to expressly and voluntarily accept and 
assume all risks involved in operating a motorcycle or participating as a motorcycle passenger while participating in the ride.
You hereby covenant, as a motorcycle operator or motorcycle passenger, not to sue COMPANY, their owners, 
agents, employees, officers, directors, managers and representatives for any and all loss or damage including property damage or 
loss, personal injury, permanent disability and/or death, arising out of my participation in this activity (including but not limited 
to riding, touring, transportation to and from the activity, and at all lodging and stops).COMPANY makes no
warranty regarding conditions, safety of roadways, weather, lodging or stops, and the rider to assume all risk that the conditions, safety of 
roadways, weather, lodging or stops are other than what is expected. You understand and agree that COMPANY is 
acting as my agent only to provide guidance as to routes, and I hereby release and hold 
harmless COMPANY its owners, agents, assigns and heirs against any and all claims, causes of action, or any 
other liability of any kind arising from my operation of a motorcycle, or as a motorcycle passenger during my activity of 
motorcycle riding. 
Edited by DerekClouser
  • Upvote 1

Props to Nivin and Derek for taking the Epic ride to the next level. I agree with Casper though, dont chance it and risk yourself in case some doucher decides to sue. Cover your ass the right way so you'll stay protected. At least you've captured the web domain, now just get your ducks in order so the idea can expand through the website

I tend to agree with the Chicago lawyer, as a human being. But courts exist because you can argue anything both ways.

Casper's scenario is possible. Again, I can stand up and argue against liability and keep a straight face; even feel justified in my position - but insurance companies with staff attorneys aren't paying their lawyers hourly. Salaried in-house counsel is being paid regardless of whether they're working to collect money from a
Website owner, or sitting on their asses in the office.

For that reason alone, insurance companies have motivation to be (selectively) litigious, and go after their larger losses. For the entity being sued, the same cannot usually be said. That party has to hire an attorney, which is an un-budgeted expense. Even if you win.

Edited by redkow97