Looking for a cheap first car

MidgetTodd

Quit being a cheapskate and buy her a new escalade already, do you want her to be safe or do you want to be a shitty parent?

My dad and I built my first car, I bought the pieces and helped dad put them together. It was a 88 gmc s15 with manual everything. It cost $250 for the cab and the drive train, $80 for a straight frame from the scrap yard, and we built it in the spring.

Edited by magley64
  • Upvote 1

Why is everyone else so worried about what she drives? Todd wants to get her a cheaper car that reliable enough while he is in the car teaching her. That the help he has asked for. Not a diatribe of ORs conscious telling him he's wrong. Damn I hate winter...

Edited by TwiztedRabbit
  • Upvote 1

I'd buy this in a heartbeat if it was semi local.

MT, you might be able to talk the guy into meeting you someplace halfway.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1025587

Some further info about the car.

http://www.saabhistory.com/1997/09/01/limited-production-1998-saab-9000-cse-blends-225-hp-turbo-performance-with-practical-utility/

Why is everyone else so worried about what she drives? Todd wants to get her a cheaper car that reliable enough while he is in the car teaching her. That the help he has asked for. Not a diatribe of ORs conscious telling him he's wrong. Damn I hate winter...

Lol, but that's how we roll here.

But yes, she will only be driving this with me. Not out alone so if it does happen to break down, no big. And if it does develop a prob I will know it, niether one is really a bad thing as sooner or later no matter what she gets she will eventually experience a break down or prob so what better way to prepare for that than for it to happen with me than when alone somewhere? She has 6 months before she can even test and drive alone.

I'd buy this in a heartbeat if it was semi local.

MT, you might be able to talk the guy into meeting you someplace halfway.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1025587

Some further info about the car.

http://www.saabhistory.com/1997/09/01/limited-production-1998-saab-9000-cse-blends-225-hp-turbo-performance-with-practical-utility/

You'd have to screenshot or something, have to be a member to see it.

• 1 month later...

The 3.0 is the same one they've been using for a couple decades... It's been in the ranger and the Taurus primarily. If nothing else, parts will be plentiful for the drivetrain.

Probably pulls the escape damn well, since I believe it's basically a taller focus chassis.

Future father in law has one of those escapes. it sits mostly but the last time someone knew he had it that wanted to buy it he said $3000. as its a low mileage clean unit.. but they arent half bad.. great for a first car. nice job. 

Books for 5K, Rawlins said he could sell it in a matter of days for that on his lot. I gave 1900 for it. Not complaining one bit. Fully loaded AWD with leather and sunroof. Runs like a champ. I'm the third owner. One of the MICU nurses I work with gave it to me for a steal. His mom bought it new then gave to him when she got a new one. Dealer serviced since day one by the book and every receipt from day one was in a folder in the glove box.

He didn't need it. Has another SUV but his mom gave it to him anyway. He's had it for a year and put 600 miles on lol. We were talking about car shopping one shift and told him the Escape was one she liked but I wasn't spending that much. He said he had one in his garage taking up space and he'd give it some thought. The next shift we had together he said pay off on his RZR was 2000 and I could have it for that and I said sold! Showed up to get it and battery was dead, he hadn't drove it in 3 months, so he said just give me 1900 and spend the other 100 on a battery. She was ecstatic Christmas morning Andy check book is happy too