New & saying Hi

NickT

Hi,

I'm Nick and I'm in Greene county, new to Ohio. Originally from Europe, currently only have the european A1 licence which only lets me drive up to 125CC / 11 kW. Looking forward to getting my local license soon, so that restriction will no longer apply.

Have driven a Zundapp KS125 when I first got my license, and a handfull of other bikes since then. Do not own one right now though, hoping to change that eventually.

If there is anything else you'd like to know, feel free to ask.

I really like the European's method for motorcycle licensing. I hate reading/watching the news every spring, hearing about newer riding dying while riding something stupid like a full dresser Harley or Hayabusa. I really think we should have a tiered license also.

Welcome to the site and welcome to Ohio. We try to put together several events throughout the year. Even without a bike, feel free to come out and meet everyone.

:welcomeor: and welcome to the greatest country on the planet. However, I do agree with Casper that the U.S. should have a better endorsement regiment, might have saved "some" lives anyway.

Come out to the Dayton meet and greet next weekend. It's at Little York Tavern on Poe Ave. Check it out in the Rides/Events section.

Welcome to the buckeye state.

What country are you from in Europe?I spent two years England and two years in Holland while in the Air Force back in the early eighties.It was a great experience ...I'd love to go back and do some riding,especially in the mountains.

I really like the European's method for motorcycle licensing. I hate reading/watching the news every spring, hearing about newer riding dying while riding something stupid like a full dresser Harley or Hayabusa. I really think we should have a tiered license also.

Welcome to the site and welcome to Ohio. We try to put together several events throughout the year. Even without a bike, feel free to come out and meet everyone.

Casper, I agree the concept is great, the execution however is poor. They let you take your lessons on any bike you want, so for instance I rode a 600cc bike while taking my course, and then after you get your license you can only drive a little 125cc bike that gets you no-where. The idea of letting you start with something not too powerful is fine, but the chosen cutoff point is far too low. Especially because you now have to be 24 to drive a 'real' unrestricted motorcycle, or you have to start at 17 and spend around 6000 euros to get it at 21.

Welcome nick I am about 25 miles up the road from you. Where about from Europe are you from . Hellmutt and myself work with a fellow from Ireland.

Welcome to the buckeye state.

What country are you from in Europe?I spent two years England and two years in Holland while in the Air Force back in the early eighties.It was a great experience ...I'd love to go back and do some riding,especially in the mountains.

Hi o-no-moto and drc32-0, I'm from The Netherlands (or Holland). So if you catch me making some grammar or spelling mistakes, feel free to correct me. England sure has some nice places to visit, but I can't get used to driving on the 'wrong' side of the road. As for the Netherlands.. it is pretty much as flat as Kansas, not much to see either.

:welcomeor:

For getting an Ohio motorcycle license,

you will find many answers here.

http://www.motorcycle.ohio.gov/

Thank you Jack! I have read a little, but to me its all a bit.. abstract. Where I'm from there is only 1 system and its pretty straightforward even though it isn't very fair. So I was just planning on walking to a BMV office sometime between now and spring and then informing there what my best options are- since I do have a 'valid' license for a year (the european one seems to hold up for a year after moving to the States) I'm unclear whether I should be enrolling into the beginner class or the returning class. I prefer talking to a person or browsing through something made of paper over surfing the web anyway. Either way, as long as I don't have to pay the absurd amounts I had to pay accross the pond, I'll be a happy chap.

The basic  (beginner) course is to get your license. The state provides the motorcycles for you to ride

and at the end of the 3 day course, if you pass the assessment test, you get a card or certificate ( I don't remember which one it is) that you can take to the BMV and they just issue you a new, valid Ohio driver's license with the motorcycle endorsement. You can also present this to your insurance company for a possible discount on your motorcycle insurance. Not all insurance companies do this, though. The problem with waiting is that the classes may fill up before you register and then you simply can't get a seat in the class.

As mentioned above, take the BRC for $50 and you will have your license in a few days. If the class fills up, there are some dealers that offer it. Unfortunately, I am unfamiliar with the dealers in Greene County or the Dayton area. Iron Pony does offer them, but it will cost more than ODPS. They are located in Columbus/Westerville.

As mentioned above, take the BRC for $50 and you will have your license in a few days. If the class fills up, there are some dealers that offer it. Unfortunately, I am unfamiliar with the dealers in Greene County or the Dayton area. Iron Pony does offer them, but it will cost more than ODPS. They are located in Columbus/Westerville.

I "believe" Clinton County Motorsports offers a course, or may have at one time?

Dont worry to much about grammar nick. 35 years old and i still cant spell right.

You're definitely better at using tools than the english language bro :D

:welcome3: to  USA & ohio riders even if you get pulled over for speeding doing wheely with out a learners permit all you get is 100hrs of community service which is nothing & a easy way to give back the community with out the show got to love the land of the free

• Upvote 1