4/18 Small Group Ride To Hocking Hills - Central Ohio

silentcropduster

Possible small group ride to Hocking Hills from the Columbus Ohio area Saturday 4/18

No chance of rain - temp mid 60s

We would leave Columbus around 12 or 1p, make one stop for gas on the way &/or also for a break if anyone needs it

stops: Old man's Cave, Rock House & so on.

4p-5p depart back to Columbus area.

Nothing is set in stone yet this post is to merely see whom all would be interested, thus far there are only 3 confirmed riders going.

Questions, comments or concerns, please comment below.

Thanks.

Were it me I would avoid that entire area on the weekends when the weather is nice, so many great roads to explore in this state which many miss out on.

+1.  Look at what's east of Hocking Hills.  Good roads are much less fun when you're trolling behind minivans and cruiser group rides.  Or go towards Coshocton and Salt Fork.

I'm all ears for suggested routes? last time I was in hocking (sunday) we only got caught by maybe a few cars wasnt that bad, but I'm open to ideas :-)

Also how does one tag another member in a post? I thought it was "@max power" but that obviously doesnt work

:lol: this ain't tweeter brother.

Route suggestions would depend on starting point. Where are you all meeting up at and leaving from?

And how long do you want to ride?

my bad lol - Columbus for both meeting and return, Im open to anything really, I'd say anywhere south east of Columbus, no more than a 1 to 1.5 hour distance each way. 3-4 hour ride max.

my bad lol - Columbus for both meeting and return, Im open to anything really, I'd say anywhere south east of Columbus, no more than a 1 to 1.5 hour distance each way. 3-4 hour ride max.

514, 520, 541, 206, 97, 60, 715, 83, 78..............your seriously missing out Bro!!!!! You really want to have fun and ride the best roads in the state, then head towards Marietta. ;)

Edited by Pokey
  • Upvote 1

Wish I could go with you but I'm way too busy, so here's what I would do. I would take the 33 bypass down to 374 across from the Valero station. I would follow 374 all the way to 664. You will pass rock house which is a nice place to stop and take a break.

At 664 I would turn right and go to South Bloomingville and turn left on 56. I would take 56 over to 278 and turn left and take that into Nelsonville. I would turn right on old 33 in Nelsonville follow it to 78 and turn left. I would take 78 all the way to Malta which is right across the river from McConnelsville. Do not cross the river. Turn right at the light in Malta. That is N. Main St. Turn right again on third Street which becomes a Malta Hill Road and that will take you to 377. Turn left. Follow 377 past 555 and it becomes 550. At this point you could turn left on 555 which is the best section of that road in my opinion and follow it south and then head west but what I would do is pass it take 550 all the way to 33 between Athens and Nelsonville. At this point, you can turn right and take 33 back on the slab or go thru Athens and pick up 56 all the way back into Hocking. If you don't stop much you could probably do all of that in four hours. Explore the map in that area and you can make it a shorter jaunt if you want to, but those are some really fun clean roads without any big surprises.

Wish I could go with you but I'm way too busy, so here's what I would do. I would take the 33 bypass down to 374 across from the Valero station. I would follow 374 all the way to 664. You will pass rock house which is a nice place to stop and take a break.

At 664 I would turn right and go to South Bloomingville and turn left on 56. I would take 56 over to 278 and turn left and take that into Nelsonville. I would turn right on old 33 in Nelsonville follow it to 78 and turn left. I would take 78 all the way to Malta which is right across the river from McConnelsville. Do not cross the river. Turn right at the light in Malta. That is N. Main St. Turn right again on third Street which becomes a Malta Hill Road and that will take you to 377. Turn left. Follow 377 past 555 and it becomes 550. At this point you could turn left on 555 which is the best section of that road in my opinion and follow it south and then head west but what I would do is pass it take 550 all the way to 33 between Athens and Nelsonville. At this point, you can turn right and take 33 back on the slab or go thru Athens and pick up 56 all the way back into Hocking. If you don't stop much you could probably do all of that in four hours. Explore the map in that area and you can make it a shorter jaunt if you want to, but those are some really fun clean roads without any big surprises.

I've rode this group of roads several times, and they are great roads with little traffic. 56 from Athens to Nelsonville has high water areas often, so be prepared for dirt/mud from the last big rain.

Gas stops for that route would be the Valero at 374, Nelsonville and Malta.

If you want something a little unusual stop at Gilchrist convenience store at the junction of 377 and 550.You can get gas there,it's also like an old time head shop.

What time is this ride meeting and where? I know some great routes all over the state. Would be glad to lead.

I'm being forced 2 work at my 2nd job 10a to 2p, but I will be free after that. I had 2 other people going and they both backed out, lame [emoji19] but I still might go, where do u hail from?lol I'm in columbus.

double thumbin' it!