Best way to lift front of bike...

NDspd

Hey all, I need to take apart my front end on my 2002 Triumph Speed Triple to service the forks. What's the best way to raising up the front to get the forks off? I don't have a front stand, nor the money to get one.

Thanks all!

I back the bike up to the front of my van or Jeep and lash it down till the front wheel lifts. This works only because I have a center stand I can put on. (And a rack I can crank down on.) Usually put a cover back on the bike and pretend the wheel is still there.

If you've got a center stand, use a screw or hydraulic jack with a wood block under the oil pan or headers.  If no center stand, you'll have to borrow a rear stand and use the swing arm spools.  The ratchet straps work great if you can anchor them securely to a ceiling joist.  Be VERY CAREFUL anchoring them to the bottom stringer of a truss-type joist.  The bottom chord of a truss joist is NOT engineered/designed to hold a vertical load!!!

I used to use a painters ladder with ratchet straps. Borrowed the landlord's but it worked so well I grabbed one at an auction for a few bucks. Just make sure to chain the legs together so it doesn't do the splits under load. Can lift the front or rear depending on where you loop through the frame

$_20.JPG

not my bike 

Front-end%20lift.jpg

• Upvote 1

If your bike has frame sliders* on the front, a large jackstand under each of the sliders also works -- at least that's how I did the forks on the SV.

*Sliders bolted solidly to the frame, not the kind of "sliders" bolted using the fasteners for the bodyworlk.

Edited by Trackbikez

I have a rear stand for my single sided swing arm, but that's it. I don't have a big a-frame ladder, just a wee little one  :disappointed:

I do have sliders up higher on the frame of my bike and I thought of building a 2x4 frame jig thingy to go under those and hold it. 

I have a front stand that will fit your triumph. But I'll be on vacation till Tuesday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dude you are awesome. I should have asked if someone here had one I could borrow.

I'm in no rush bud, I have all week honestly. Send me a PM when you are available and we'll go from there. I'm from Tipp City by the way.

• 1 month later...

Meh, use a proper weight rated strap at the top and then pair off of that to either side so you only need to release 1 strap. No swinging that way. Of course, it would be ideal to strap over some sort of cam to slowly lower the bike back down instead of a quick drop, but one wouldn't need to hike the bike more than a few inches anyway

I concur with motocat, this rig isn't quite stable, for 1, when he was "tightening" the top bar, he was actually loosening one end. And relying on friction to keep those feet parallel strikes me as a bad idea, get 1 more bar the same length as the center bar, exchange the end caps for elbows, and you're damn sure your feet stay parallel.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I'm on the outlook for a front stand again. Anyone in the area have one? I'm gonna try the ratchet strap idea on a pull up bar I have fixed to the ceiling of my garage. If I can do full kipping pullups on it I think it can hold the partial weight of a bike...will test it.

Huh..sorry bud, I never got a message.

I found out a way to lift the front. Used a couple ratchet straps and weight lifting bar supports. Super stable...