Good News:78 to be paved this summer!!!

drc32-0

I was looking at the upcoming construction season on ODOT's site and I saw where 78 from Nelsonville to McConnelsville is going to be paved this summer.I just called the Morgan county garage and they said that it is going to be paved but it hasn't been "sold" yet,so it will be later in the year.

This is great news for those of us that ride the western part of SEO!IMO this is the best part of 78 and it cuts right through other great roads that have been paved recently such as 669,377,685 and 37.Also,you can easily link it to other good roads like 792,676,550 and the lower section of 555...all in good to great condition.The very bottom of 555,from Decauter to Little Hocking,is also slated for paving this year.

I also just called the Washington county garage and found out that they are paving one of my favorite county roads this year...asphalt,not chipsealed!!!

• Upvote 1

Wow, this is great news! I rode it in 2013 & 2014 many times, & it was in completely acceptable shape, but after 2 very harsh winters in a row, I can see how it could have deteriorated.  Thanks so much for the great news update Denny.

Are there lots of deteriorated pavement spots in turns currently? Potholes?

What is the status of many of the great roads east of I-77 (Caldwell/Marietta) & south of Woodsfield or I-70? Like 26, 255, 260, 536,556, 537, 565, etc? A lot of fracking has been going on down there and I have heard mentions of it really taking it's toll on the tarmac.

Rode 550, 26, 255 and 800 today. Of all those, 255 is probably in the roughest shape. Maybe 800 was the best. None were new or pristine, none were outright horrible.

There is evidence of the trucks. The downhill shoulder of some of the roads is heaving downward in some places. They have been driving some piles beside the road to help shore things up so maybe some new pavement is next. Also, there is some dirt and silt but no more than the usual gravel. Fairly clean.

Keep seeing these brown or rust colored trails in the middle of each lane. Are the fracking water trucks leaking stuff on the road?

Just so damn happy to be out on the bike and wasn't in a particularly critical or analytical mood. So this isn't the most detailed report. Something like 365 miles today and it was the slab on the way home that was the main complaint.

Of the roads you mentioned I've been on 255,260,565,800 and 536.255 and 260 were in decent condition,maybe a 6 on a 1-10 scale.565 and 800 south of 255 are in good condition.536 sucks,I won't be riding it until it's paved.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the heads up on 536. That was almost on the agenda yesterday and I was thinking about it for later this year.

565, 260, 145 were in good shape this weekend. 26 is showing some age the farther you get away from Marietta. 78 honestly didnt seem too bad from 555 to McConnelsville. 555 is due for a paving IMO.

Were you riding with guys from the FJR Ramble?I was going to try to look for you,but I ran out of time.

Were you riding with guys from the FJR Ramble?I was going to try to look for you,but I ran out of time.

Yeah rode by myself Friday cause I had stuff to do in the morning. Rode with Wayne and FJRFarrier and some others down to Clay, WV on Saturday. I rode around 600 miles this weekend.

We ride 78 just about every weekend. It's not in great shape, but it's definitely rideable. Glad to hear it'll be paved cause that's a destination road for a large group of us.

Yes, I rode 145 south to 565, then 260 to 26 and back to Marietta. 145,565,260,26 are some of my go to roads for an after work evening ride.

We share a lot of the same after work roads when I get a chance to ride the bike...I usually carpool.Have you ever rode Dalzell or Germantown roads?

We share a lot of the same after work roads when I get a chance to ride the bike...I usually carpool.Have you ever rode Dalzell or Germantown roads?

Not really, this has been my first summer of riding on that side of 77 very much. I used to ride 555, 550 towards Athens and back to my house on my way home from work. Now I have added some length to my evening routes since I got my FJR. 50 mile loops after work are now turning into 100-150 mile loops. Its great to work 5 days a week and still get 600-1000 miles in a week. This would have been my second consecutive 600 mile weekend, but I got sunburnt really bad Friday and had to take it easy.

Not really, this has been my first summer of riding on that side of 77 very much. I used to ride 555, 550 towards Athens and back to my house on my way home from work. Now I have added some length to my evening routes since I got my FJR. 50 mile loops after work are now turning into 100-150 mile loops. Its great to work 5 days a week and still get 600-1000 miles in a week. This would have been my second consecutive 600 mile weekend, but I got sunburnt really bad Friday and had to take it easy.

Lol that's what happens when you get an FJR.That sounds exactly like I did when I got my 2004 FJR.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like 78, the southern part of 555, & Washington CR 11 are the only ones slated to be repaved in that area deep down in SEOH, according to the ODOT Marietta District webpage.too bad for 536, seems that it hasn't ever had good pavement since I started venturing out deep into SEOH (5 years). Let's hope 255 & 26 stay good enough for another year or two.

Looks like 78, the southern part of 555, & Washington CR 11 are the only ones slated to be repaved in that area deep down in SEOH, according to the ODOT Marietta District webpage.too bad for 536, seems that it hasn't ever had good pavement since I started venturing out deep into SEOH (5 years). Let's hope 255 & 26 stay good enough for another year or two.

Hang in there,536 is scheduled to be paved in 2017.

I was working in that area when they paved it back in 2007...I rode it out and back about three nights a week.What a great ride when it's in good condition.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Well,in a case of better late than never ODOT is just about done paving 78 from Bishopville to Malta.Paving is completed from Bishopville to Hickory Ridge,which is about 2 miles from 377.They're still working on edging that section and they still need to paint the edge lines.Other than that touch up work you have brand new pavement on the best section of one of the best roads in Ohio.

Sunday's weather is supposed to be decent and Monday and Tuesday are supposed to be even better!

ODOT has served up a really fun reward for all you late season riders out there.

BTW,the Muskingum county section of 555 also has new pavement,so you have very good pavement from Zanesville to 78 at Ringgold.The part from Portersville to Ringgold is a little older,but very good for the most part.

• Upvote 1