Daytona Triumph crash in front of me.

DerekClouser

Triumph Daytona 675 crashes in front of me!

Heading to qsl in valley view with tall Tracy and some of her friends and I video the one guy crashing in front of me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by DerekClouser

Too much throttle? I didn't see any oil slicks or anything in that curve.....until you picked the bike back up.

I didn't see anything specific that would have caused it, but more a combination of possible factors: cold tires, suspension not setup, too much throttle, inconsistent throttle, concrete was chopped up and not same level.

It doesn't help that he was sitting up so high on the bike, pretty much "hanging off" in the wrong direction. The Pirellis on that bike are a pretty sport-oriented tire. What was the weather like? Cold tires and bad body position would be my guess. 

They were coming off the freeway, so the tires were probably not cold.  He chopped the throttle and lost weight on the back and it slid out. Or he jammed on the front brake and did the same.

They were coming off the freeway, so the tires were probably not cold. He chopped the throttle and lost weight on the back and it slid out. Or he jammed on the front brake and did the same.

This or was that a manhole cover I saw? Or maybe the horribly uneven concrete grabbed his tire the wrong way. At least he's ok and only minor damage to the bike.

• Upvote 1

This or was that a manhole cover I saw? Or maybe the horribly uneven concrete grabbed his tire the wrong way. At least he's ok and only minor damage to the bike.

He was on the way down before the manhole cover, but uneven pavement is a very good theory. I live right there, I will go check it out in the next day or two.

I thought i saw oil coming out.

Most of the damage the bike took was from the bike sliding into the curb. The oil case took a shot and the rim of the tire took the blunt damage from the curb and oil started pouring from the case.

Curb also sheared off his left rear set, turn signal, bent his clip on, and other cosmetic damage.

Guess I'll be looking for a 675R for sale in the next couple days...

With the oil leak from the case and the other described damage...insurance company will total it.

Some sketchy pavement, but most of the blame goes to the rider for too much brake….prolly rear but maybe both F&R.

If he has collision insurance, that"ll be a salvage title in a couple of weeks to a month, and he"ll be riding a shiny new bike at triple/quadruple his prior monthly rate.

Learning the hard WAY can be expensive;  at least it wasn't his FINAL exam….that he failed.

Just wrong body position and bad maintenance throttle. Intersections this time of year are sketchy to begin with so adding a couple rider errors to the apex of one is always risky

Edited by CaptainKeyes

Oh and here are some damage pics. There's a Deals Gap trip happening this weekend and if anyone can help we're having trouble finding a stator cover and a clipon. I think he said his Rim shows up Tuesday. He's already paid into the trip and the rest of us would hate for him to miss it. Anyone have any stock parts laying around?

post-12307-0-00063400-1431099721_thumb.j

post-12307-0-45844400-1431099747_thumb.j

post-12307-0-50751400-1431099760_thumb.j

This is why everyone on two wheels should have a camera. So we can all ridicule each other on our riding mistakes and then we can also learn from the mistakes. Mainly just for the ridicule though. I have my 3 mph crash somewhere will have to find it. Rear brake noob mistakes.

This is why everyone on two wheels should have a camera. So we can all ridicule each other on our riding mistakes and then we can also learn from the mistakes. Mainly just for the ridicule though. I have my 3 mph crash somewhere will have to find it. Rear brake noob mistakes.

Eh, I disagree. I think most riders can break down their own crashes and learn from them without others making fun of them. Even some riders, who don't want to take responsibility for their own crashes and try to blame other factors, can at least internally know where they f'ed up.

This crash had a multitude of factors that all added up to a crash. I think the most important lesson from this crash is that their is a time and place for fun and then their are areas you need to be much more cautious. For the area, he should have been a bit more cautious.

Either way, I'm just glad the rider is okay and the bike can be fixed.

Interesting clip Derek. Poor form & execution aside, did anybody else notice the massive buildup of oil in the center of the lane just before he went down? It looked to me that he turned right through the continuation of the oil buildup just before he went down. Just my $.02