For you ADV folks - Africa Twin

DAC

If Honda really does this one right, I'll be very tempted to buy it - I really want the capabilities of a 990 or F800GS, but Honda's ease-of-ownership.

So far, the trade has been heavy, undersprung and not-really-made-for-actual-dirt Japanese offerings or the Eurobikes and I've been down that road once too many.

• Upvote 1

If Honda really does this one right, I'll be very tempted to buy it - I really want the capabilities of a 990 or F800GS, but Honda's ease-of-ownership.

So far, the trade has been heavy, undersprung and not-really-made-for-actual-dirt Japanese offerings or the Eurobikes and I've been down that road once too many.

Not sure I'd hold out hope for harder springs in the Honda, or less weight than an F800. Heck, I bet it'll be at least 475-500 lbs wet, and that'll put it right with the others. Plus, remember you can replace tires for better off-road capability (heck even my stock trail wings do fine on hard-pack, gravel and field grass). Swap out handlebars and the seat for much greater comfort, adjust preload and dampening on most stock shocks and even replace springs or whole shock systems for serious performance from any of the current ADV bikes. For under 8k, you could grab a several-year old one fully farkled and sorted.

This doesn't look nearly Transformery enough to be a new Honda.

Good point!  I really want Honda to succeed - I love the reliability of their bikes and historically they've made some of the most iconic of motorcycles.  And while I'm pining to see this new Africa Twin, I'm afraid it's several years late and already behind several outstanding models from $7k-$25k depending on your wallet and use cases.  Off the top of my head, DR650, DL650, DL1000, Tenere, Tiger 800, Tiger 1L, BMW G650, F700, F800 and R1200GS/A, several from KTM...  It's a crowded market already.

Not sure I'd hold out hope for harder springs in the Honda, or less weight than an F800. Heck, I bet it'll be at least 475-500 lbs wet, and that'll put it right with the others. Plus, remember you can replace tires for better off-road capability (heck even my stock trail wings do fine on hard-pack, gravel and field grass). Swap out handlebars and the seat for much greater comfort, adjust preload and dampening on most stock shocks and even replace springs or whole shock systems for serious performance from any of the current ADV bikes. For under 8k, you could grab a several-year old one fully farkled and sorted.

I'm not optimistic, just wishing out loud. At least from the teaser it's got the right stance and wheel set for more robust adventure touring, and it's sure to have a decent engine - right there it's ahead of the pack. Weight is a big issue, but more important than weight is where it carries it. What makes the 990 so good is it's COG is low and it handles like a dirt bike. The A/T could pull that off, even if a bit piggy.

Honda COULD do this right, or they could just slap "adventury" shit on a big fat frame and then everyone has to aftermarket the shit out of it to make it decent. There, right there, is where KTM kicks the Japanese right in the jewels. Unfortunately, they can't get "ease of ownership" and teething issues right.

• Upvote 1

Any big ADV is going to be a trade off, rode my STen to MMM in Tennessee around 800 miles round trip, its not a FJR but not to bad. Did about 200 miles of dirt/ mud/gravel its not a dirt bike but its not bad. Funny we didn't see but 3 big KTMs there and no 990/950s. Mostly GSs,STens,Triumph Exp, a few VStroms. There is no one perfect machine. The A/T looks promising but I'll stick with the big Yamaha.