Confused How To Start Riding.. Help Please?

Samcw

Hey guys, so I have done a lot of research in to this process in Ohio, doesn't seem horribly different from when I had my motorcycle 5 years ago in Texas but just wanted to make sure I have everything right so I don't end up in jail- If anyone can give me input I will be SUPER grateful

1) Go to license exam station, take written exam, get temp license

2) Go buy the used bike I want with a clean title, sign a bill of sale with seller, have him transfer title to me

3) Take the title to title transfer station of some kind, have it officially notarized or whatever, and pay sales tax? (If I buy the bike for 4,000- can I say it was a private sale of like 3,000 to save on tax? or is this kind of thing not advisable)

4) Get the bike registered, another payout to state

5) Get the bike insured

5) Go take skills course on my new bike within a few months (Do I have to do this immediately? Can I ride with my temp license for a few months?)

6) Finally obtain motorcycle license and be totally legal.

Always feels like a lot of extra $ to pay and loops to jump through just to ride a bike, but whatever, it's worth it- do I have it all down? Missing any critical stuff?

MUCH LOVE to anyone who can let me know! Can't wait to be riding with you guys, haven't done it since I was 18 : ) 

PS- ~4,000 budget. Want a speedy little devil. What to get? 

http://limaohio.craigslist.org/mcy/4989949556.html Can anyone find a more impressive deal than this? sounds like the guy is willing to haggle with me.

Edited by Samcw

Thanks for the response! Can you elaborate a little on what you mean though?
Sorry I am an idiot with this kind of stuff.

If I'm buying a used bike from someone and therefore having the title transferred to me in the process, I don't need to go pay sales tax?

What do i have to do then? just get the thing registered and I'm good to go?

Edited by Samcw

Hey guys, so I have done a lot of research in to this process in Ohio, doesn't seem horribly different from when I had my motorcycle 5 years ago in Texas but just wanted to make sure I have everything right so I don't end up in jail- If anyone can give me input I will be SUPER grateful

1) Go to license exam station, take written exam, get temp license

2) Go buy the used bike I want with a clean title, sign a bill of sale with seller, have him transfer title to me

3) Take the title to title transfer station of some kind, have it officially notarized or whatever, and pay sales tax? (If I buy the bike for 4,000- can I say it was a private sale of like 3,000 to save on tax? or is this kind of thing not advisable)

4) Get the bike registered, another payout to state

5) Get the bike insured

5) Go take skills course on my new bike within a few months (Do I have to do this immediately? Can I ride with my temp license for a few months?)

6) Finally obtain motorcycle license and be totally legal.

Always feels like a lot of extra $ to pay and loops to jump through just to ride a bike, but whatever, it's worth it- do I have it all down? Missing any critical stuff?

MUCH LOVE to anyone who can let me know! Can't wait to be riding with you guys, haven't done it since I was 18 : ) 

PS- ~4,000 budget. Want a speedy little devil. What to get? 

http://limaohio.craigslist.org/mcy/4989949556.html Can anyone find a more impressive deal than this? sounds like the guy is willing to haggle with me.

1) yep

2)This is the step you need notorized, when the seller signs the title over to you. The back of the title will have a spot for his signature and price. 

3) Not advisable though some people do. Be aware the state may look up reasonable values post title transfer.

4) yep need a plate

5a) Probably should get insured with purchase at step 2.

5b) Your temp license is good for 6 months but has limits (no freeway or passengers plus must wear helmet until 1 year after full license)

6) Good to go.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the response! Can you elaborate a little on what you mean though?

Sorry I am an idiot with this kind of stuff.

If I'm buying a used bike from someone and therefore having the title transferred to me in the process, I don't need to go pay sales tax?

What do i have to do then? just get the thing registered and I'm good to go?The 

The seller signs the title and puts the price on the back of the title. This step must be notarized. This is all you need to get a title transfer at which time you will pay a fee and taxes.

• Upvote 1

1) yep

2)This is the step you need notorized, when the seller signs the title over to you. The back of the title will have a spot for his signature and price. 

3) Not advisable though some people do. Be aware the state may look up reasonable values post title transfer.

4) yep need a plate

5a) Probably should get insured with purchase at step 2.

5b) Your temp license is good for 6 months but has limits (no freeway or passengers plus must wear helmet until 1 year after full license)

6) Good to go.

Awesome!

You rock.

Now I just need to figure out how to get this bike from Findlay back home to Ada and then to a skills test location probably somewhere in Lima all without going on a freeway :3

The seller signs the title and puts the price on the back of the title. This step must be notarized. This is all you need to get a title transfer at which time you will pay a fee and taxes.

So after he signs the title over to me, I can immediately ride away into the sunset with my temp license, take the title to some place to get it notarized, and pay sales tax there?

And the seller doesn't have to accompany me or anything right?

Also I'm not sure how I would get this bike insured before I have to drive it for the first time back home.

Edited by Samcw

You forgot steps 7 & 8: 7- Twisties with O R group. 8- Track. Oh, I just noticed that you are in Ada. It's going to take some determination on your part. Best regards.

:( Yes it kind of sucks here... but!

in <1yr I will be able to choose which hospital I want to work at with this medical lab sciences degree, what city should I pick?

Could go Findlay, Lima, Marysville, Cinci, Toledo...

I'm thinking Marysville or Sidney bc they take me in the direction of Columbus, where I really want to end up working eventually, >> I understand the best riding country is S.E of Columbus. True?

Or anyone know of any other good twisty roads around my area ? or even better, a track where I can learn how to really ride a bike again?

Edited by Samcw

Be happy that you're in the US and not in europe, Australia, or even Canada. They pay a LOT more to get licensed and registered and then have to start on smaller bikes. It would take you a year or more before you could buy a 600.

I'm not in Ohio, but I think you have an alternate option for #5/6. After you have the permit, bike, insurance, etc, you should be able to attend a Motorcycle Safety Foundation workshop and then you can skip the skills test. You take the certificate from the workshop to the BMV (or whatever you call it in OH) and they update your license. You might not mind taking the skills test, and I see you have ridden on a license in TX, but you can learn a lot from the MSF course. You might qualify for a "returning rider" session which is one full Saturday day rather than all weekend that they require for the beginners.

Suggestion: Columbus is FLAT. Move to Marietta.    :555:

Chris

• Upvote 1

Awesome!

You rock.

Now I just need to figure out how to get this bike from Findlay back home to Ada and then to a skills test location probably somewhere in Lima all without going on a freeway :3

You will need plates to drive it home. So do the sale in Findlay when the BMV is open.  Seller signs in front of a notary, you head up to the BMV and get the title transfered and your plates. You drive back to the bike screw the plate on.....call the insurance company with your cell phone...then drive home.

They missed a restriction on your temps...also no night riding.

• Upvote 1

if you are an experienced rider you can get the bike and just take the test. No MSF needed.

I wouldn't call myself an "experienced rider," but I'm not a total squid either- I actually took a MSF course in Texas and I did learn a lot. It was 4+ years ago, but I think that I remember the critical stuff in terms of maintaining awareness, assuming the worst about cars around you, avoiding oil, not locking brakes, etc. 

You will need plates to drive it home. So do the sale in Findlay when the BMV is open.  Seller signs in front of a notary, you head up to the BMV and get the title transfered and your plates. You drive back to the bike screw the plate on.....call the insurance company with your cell phone...then drive home.

They missed a restriction on your temps...also no night riding.

Ok this is where I'm still definitely confused.

The seller has to sign in front of a notary? What exactly does this mean? I do not remember doing this in Texas when I purchased used bikes in the past.

Do I need to travel with the seller to some sort of government facility and sign papers in front of some official?

Now I'm actually looking at a better deal in Middle Point OH, it's about 40 miles from my home- so I would need to find a BMV there and I would actually go obtain the new plates and registry for my vehicle BEFORE riding it?

thanks for helping me with this fellas I can't explain how much time and headache yall are saving me.

Edited by Samcw

The seller has to sign in front of a notary? What exactly does this mean? I do not remember doing this in Texas when I purchased used bikes in the past.

Do I need to travel with the seller to some sort of government facility and sign papers in front of some official?

Now I'm actually looking at a better deal in Middle Point OH, it's about 40 miles from my home- so I would need to find a BMV there and I would actually go obtain the new plates and registry for my vehicle BEFORE riding it?

The seller must sign in front of someone that is an Ohio Notary. They witness the signature, check his ID and then they sign it and put a stamp on it certifying that the seller did sign it. It isn't a government official...but they are licensed by the government. Banks will do it, car dealers....BMV's will do it.Usually costs a few dollars to do it. It's a 1.50 at the BMV.

Yes, you need plates in Ohio before you can drive anything. I know some states allow you to drive a new purchase for awhile without plates, ohio isn't one of those. You have to get plates first. You could borrow some and hope you don't get busted. But that ticket will hurt, I advise against it.

Crap, I just remembered. BMV doesn't do titles anymore.  The County Clerk Office does it, then you go to BMV to get the title. It's all f'd up now.

http://www.bmv.ohio.gov/registration_titling.stm

Edited by Tonik

Study the printed material from the OBMV to get your temps.  Take the test and get your temps.  Get registered to take the msf course through the OBMV or privately and they provide you the bike.  They won't let you use your own bike anyway, especially a 500 or 600.  They use smaller bikes for training purposes.  Then you can pass the written test and the maneuverability test for your full endorsement on your driving license.

If you know what bike you are buying call your insurance company ahead of time and work with your agent on getting a policy in place so you can insure it before riding it home after you transfer the title.

Banks are a good place to find Notary Publics or the Title Bureau itself has them.  Asking the seller how they want to do the transaction is always a good way to work it out so it's convenient for both parties involved.

Good advice from others here too.  Good luck on everything.

Getting happier and happier that I live in West by God Virginia!   :lol:

Though I should admit that I bought my bike in Ohio in 2013 when the BMV still did the notary thing in their office. 

Crap, I just remembered. BMV doesn't do titles anymore.  The County Clerk Office does it, then you go to BMV to get the title. It's all f'd up now.

http://www.bmv.ohio.gov/registration_titling.stm

It is stupid. Was easy now it's at least in two different offices depending where you go.

In my little town its not too bad because the title department and BMV are all in the same building. Once you find the bike you want ask the seller as others have mentioned on here. Hopefully they will have some knowledge of what needs to be done and how to get it done in their town. Good luck.

Well, I got my temp license today! 

http://limaohio.craigslist.org/mcy/5050767355.html

Going to go pick up this beauty tomorrow! 2008 CBR 600RR, clean title, only 3800 miles, new tires, basically stock just some aesthetic changes, agreed on 5,600$

This sound like a good buy if i want a CBR 600 RR?

In my little town its not too bad because the title department and BMV are all in the same building. Once you find the bike you want ask the seller as others have mentioned on here. Hopefully they will have some knowledge of what needs to be done and how to get it done in their town. Good luck.

Hell, I took my test for my endorsement in Jefferson too