VFR or Sprint GT for one day vacation rental?

jacobhawkins

I'm going on vacation on the north west coast next week and will likely rent a motorcycle for a day.  Looking between a new VFR and a Triumph Sprint.  Katie will be on the back for maybe an hour and a half, but then I'll be gone the rest of the day.  Thoughts between the two?  Never been on either one, but they both appeal as something lighter/more nimble than my FJR.  I will be in the mountains looking for fun, but some amount of comfort is important to get the most out of my 24 hour rental.  Would the Sprint be too much like the FJR?

I'd think the Sprint would be just a little more sporty than the FJR, but I've not ridden an ST before. The VFR would probably be the sportiest of the 3 bikes you mentioned, and may be the lightest and most nimble option

I don't think you would be disappointed with either bike but I would chose the Sprint as I already have one and I'm familiar with what I would be getting.  The sprint will handle almost anything you can throw at it.  More than likely a little heavier than a VFR 800 but will have more power and torque.  I have no problem dragging pegs/feet on mine (Yes, I have bad body position).  I rode it down to the Dragon, rode out to Arkansas and have done a track day on it amongst thousands of Ohio miles.  With 36K miles and counting on the odometer the only thing that it doesn't do well is endless flat highway (a little buzzy) and riding through sand at 80 mph when you get off the pavement.  Even those two things it did better than I could have hoped for.

He said sprint gt not st which is a bigger bike. Either should handle fine, but the vfr is gonna be a bit more nimble. The sprint will have better power an need less shifting. I would go with the one that fits what ever role you want more, comfort or more agile.

He said sprint gt not st which is a bigger bike. Either should handle fine, but the vfr is gonna be a bit more nimble. The sprint will have better power an need less shifting. I would go with the one that fits what ever role you want more, comfort or more agile.

From what I can find it's 3 inchs longer on the wheelbase and about 10lbs heavier than the ST series like mine.  They were optimized to have better bags and be more passenger friendly than the older ST bikes.

coming from an FJr u will be more happy and at home with the GT due to its size weight power ratio etc etc Will be fun to eat up those miles and ride back roads

But, if you plan on using the bike to commute back into the city and move around crowded place on top of riding out to mountains, choose the VFr, might feel a bit anemic (even though less weight) compared to the FJR but once ur used to keeping the machine in the vtec rpm u will be very happy.

enjoy the trip and take lot of pics :D

Seems like my decision was made for me, all the Triumphs are spoken for at this rental place, so its a VFR for me! Never would have thought a modern 800 cc bike would be called anemic... Haha. Been looking up routes and there are some really beautiful areas within a day's loop. Can't wait!

Can't post pictures very well so I'll wait until I get home...  Picked the VFR up and rode through the city to get to where I needed to be and thought it was awesome.  You're right, Nivin, around town it was great, really easy to control, fun exhaust note compared to the sewing machine of my FJR.  From Vancouver to Whistler on 99 was easy fun, kind of like the BRP but with higher speed traffic.  Easy curves, great views, really a fantastic "highway".  Pemberton to Lillooet was the best part of the ride, minimal traffic, awesome mountains, followed several creeks along the way.  Road conditions were pretty good overal, a few sections without edge lines and gravel, but there was lots of new pavement as well.  Curve intensity was pretty low with the exception of a few gravel filled switchbacks, nothing like what I was hoping for, but SEO is pretty tough to compare too.  Would I do it again, oh yeah, maybe look for another road, but this was a cool day to start of experiencing BC motorcycling.

The VFR?  Having come from a Nighthawk to an FJR, I was excited to try something more sport.  Seating position was great, not sore at all after 650k, had a lot more in me, but dinner was calling and getting back into Vancouver can be hell in the evening.  After I turned it back in, I asked the guy if they detuned these things before letting them out (No).  It was an absolute dog above 150K, (about 90mph) and could barely get to 200k.  Don't really need to go that fast, but it was surprising how little go it had compared to my FJR.  I thought it handled well, getting down the mountains was fun, but I know I'm faster on my FJR.  Of course I'm more willing to push it on roads I know on a bike I'm familiar with but the lack of power was noticable.  

ABS was pretty smooth, not nearly as agressive as the (Gen 2) FJR and while it had traction control, I don't think I used it.  The VTEC was kinda neat, there was a noticible change in exhaust note and power just kept coming.  I know there were complaints about the old versions being overly aggressive when the VTEC kicked in.  I didn't get caught too many times kicking into VTEC mid corner thankfully.  When it did happen, the sound was more distracting then the power.

2 up was fine for the hour and half Katie was with me this morning, she was hoping for more time, but we needed to get back to turn it in.

When I was riding through town and up to Whistler, I was thinking I wouldn't mind having this instead of the FJR, but after a day on it, I don't think its for me.  Really fun bike, I think in a more low speed, tighter situation, it would really excel and the fact that it had ABS and traction control is appealing.

Can't post pictures very well so I'll wait until I get home...  Picked the VFR up and rode through the city to get to where I needed to be and thought it was awesome.  You're right, Nivin, around town it was great, really easy to control, fun exhaust note compared to the sewing machine of my FJR.  From Vancouver to Whistler on 99 was easy fun, kind of like the BRP but with higher speed traffic.  Easy curves, great views, really a fantastic "highway".  Pemberton to Lillooet was the best part of the ride, minimal traffic, awesome mountains, followed several creeks along the way.  Road conditions were pretty good overal, a few sections without edge lines and gravel, but there was lots of new pavement as well.  Curve intensity was pretty low with the exception of a few gravel filled switchbacks, nothing like what I was hoping for, but SEO is pretty tough to compare too.  Would I do it again, oh yeah, maybe look for another road, but this was a cool day to start of experiencing BC motorcycling.

The VFR?  Having come from a Nighthawk to an FJR, I was excited to try something more sport.  Seating position was great, not sore at all after 650k, had a lot more in me, but dinner was calling and getting back into Vancouver can be hell in the evening.  After I turned it back in, I asked the guy if they detuned these things before letting them out (No).  It was an absolute dog above 150K, (about 90mph) and could barely get to 200k.  Don't really need to go that fast, but it was surprising how little go it had compared to my FJR.  I thought it handled well, getting down the mountains was fun, but I know I'm faster on my FJR.  Of course I'm more willing to push it on roads I know on a bike I'm familiar with but the lack of power was noticable.  

ABS was pretty smooth, not nearly as agressive as the (Gen 2) FJR and while it had traction control, I don't think I used it.  The VTEC was kinda neat, there was a noticible change in exhaust note and power just kept coming.  I know there were complaints about the old versions being overly aggressive when the VTEC kicked in.  I didn't get caught too many times kicking into VTEC mid corner thankfully.  When it did happen, the sound was more distracting then the power.

2 up was fine for the hour and half Katie was with me this morning, she was hoping for more time, but we needed to get back to turn it in.

When I was riding through town and up to Whistler, I was thinking I wouldn't mind having this instead of the FJR, but after a day on it, I don't think its for me.  Really fun bike, I think in a more low speed, tighter situation, it would really excel and the fact that it had ABS and traction control is appealing.

glad u enjoyed :D now do you agree to my statement about, smooth, lighter and anemic compared to FJR despite 800cc heheh

Last pic not from the ride, but just down the road from where we are staying is English Bay, awesome in the morning.  For all the wussiness of their speed limits, it sure is a beautiful place.  Can you belive 30k over the limit is 7 days impound of your vehicle???  Luckily only saw one cop the whole trip!  haha

The VTEC was kinda neat, there was a noticible change in exhaust note and power just kept coming.  I know there were complaints about the old versions being overly aggressive when the VTEC kicked in.  I didn't get caught too many times kicking into VTEC mid corner thankfully.  When it did happen, the sound was more distracting then the power.

I never thought VTEC was a good idea for a motorcycle.  Honda toned the effect down on the Gen 8, kinda surprised that they even kept it at all. 

The VFR1200 doesn't have VTEC.