full-sized double-action only 9mm?

redkow97

My carry gun is a KelTec PF9 sub-compact 9mm.  I do not currently carry it, because I fucking suck at shooting it.  I won't carry it until i can at least put every round on an 8.5x11 sheet of paper at 7 yards...

Aside from just needing more practice (i've only put 50 or 60 rounds through it), I believe 2 things are to blame for my shitty performance:  long trigger pull, and substantial recoil.

I would like to find a full-sized 9mm that is also DAO to train with, but one that weighs more and eliminates a lot of said recoil.

I would look at the KelTec P11, but it's really not 'full-sized' at all.  Compact, if not sub-compact...  Otherwise it fits all my criteria.

The Smith & Wesson SD9 VE was my next consideration, but it's striker fired.  I would like whatever i purchase to be as similar to my PF9 as possible, so that everything is "familiar" when I need the PF9.

Thoughts?

should I just suck it up and shoot the PF9 more?  it is not enjoyable to shoot right now.  Partly because I suck with it, adn partly because it is "snappy" and beats up my hand...

How much experience do you have with firearms in general?

I wouldn't call the PF9 a great shooter, but it will get the job done.  Is the trigger pull moving you off target?

Have you ever fired a Kahr pistol?  They have some of the smoothest triggers you'll find at any price. 

I had a PF9, I shot roughly 1000 rounds through it in 1-2 years. Definitely a long trigger pull to be accurate with. It's rough on the hands after about 50-100 rounds in one session, but carry guns don't need to be comfortable. I'd say just shoot a couple more boxes through it and you will get feel for the trigger.

I had a PF9, I shot roughly 1000 rounds through it in 1-2 years. Definitely a long trigger pull to be accurate with. It's rough on the hands after about 50-100 rounds in one session, but carry guns don't need to be comfortable. I'd say just shoot a couple more boxes through it and you will get feel for the trigger.

Carry guns absolutely need to be comfortable. If you can't stand to train with it, get something else. Don't trust your life to something you can't train with. Ive never liked kel tek, I've had a few apart and the machining on them is horrible, the sights are shitty, the trigger pull sucks.... Just curious but:

Why DAO?

You can get a nice compact 9 that you can train with all day that has better sights and is just as concealable as the pf9 for just a little more money if you go striker fired.

I dunno how small that gun is, but like midget said, the glock 43 is supposed to be an incredible shooter for the size. I loved my Walther pps, and hear nothing but good things about the shield. Or you could just sack up and get good with your gun if you're not looking to change.

IMO a good carry gun isn't the same as a good target gun.

I prefer long heavy triggers on my carry guns (mostly a Bodyguard .380 right now).  If you ever have to use it in a self defense situation you'll be operating on adrenaline.  You won't even notice the trigger.  

My #1 priority for a carry gun is that it goes bang every time.  The BG.380 does that.  The Glock 42 didn't. 

IMO a good carry gun isn't the same as a good target gun.

I prefer long heavy triggers on my carry guns (mostly a Bodyguard .380 right now).  If you ever have to use it in a self defense situation you'll be operating on adrenaline.  You won't even notice the trigger.  

My #1 priority for a carry gun is that it goes bang every time.  The BG.380 does that.  The Glock 42 didn't. 

Listen to this man, he isn't a dumbass.

You got to be careful with these 9mm pocket guns, a lot of them suck both with accuracy and comfort while shooting. Or they don't have decent safety measures in place.  The long pull gives you that, thus my Bodyguard 38. Or as the OP is looking for a DAO. Although I wouldn't limit it to DAO, as DAO then SA is a great combo too.  FN firearms if you are willing to drop cash would be awsome, they make a DAO-SA compact 9 that shoots like a dream.

As others have said you can't practice with one and defend with another. So your carry needs to be comfortable enough to get good with. If you keep shooting that thing you WILL develop a flinch from the hurt and you won't be able to hit crap.  You may already have done so.  Might want to get some snap cap's and have someone randomly load them for you to see if there is a flinch.

If you want to try a 38 revolver like my Bodyguard happy to hit Stonewall with you, also you can shoot my DA/SA 45 FN to see what kind of quality that brand is. I am going to get their compact 9 I think.

Carry guns absolutely need to be comfortable. If you can't stand to train with it, get something else. Don't trust your life to something you can't train with. Ive never liked kel tek, I've had a few apart and the machining on them is horrible, the sights are shitty, the trigger pull sucks.... Just curious but:

Why DAO?

You can get a nice compact 9 that you can train with all day that has better sights and is just as concealable as the pf9 for just a little more money if you go striker fired.

The gun isnt that uncomfortable, I meant its not a plinking gun. I agree with the Keltec quality is sub-par. I sold my PF9 and switched to a Bodyguard 380.

S&w air weight , nothing goes bang every time like a wheel gun.38 spl with low profile hammer and a pocket holster. Prints like a cell phone. Double action safty with the option of single action butter trigger. I've carried a dozen other semis up to the time I bought this and I'll never go back.

9d7c47227b56379c58a51345d1f10729.jpg

But back to the original question, Ive always been a M&P fanboy.

Edited by 2talltim

I dunno how small that gun is, but like midget said, the glock 43 is supposed to be an incredible shooter for the size. I loved my Walther pps, and hear nothing but good things about the shield. Or you could just sack up and get good with your gun if you're not looking to change.

I have to agree with this. I have shot the pps and own a shield and they are both great. I have yet to get my hands on a 43. I sold my keltec P-11 as the trigger sucked and I hated to shoot it, I'm not a fan of DAO guns though.

Shot the KelTec and hated the long trigger pull.  I think for CCW the best guns are what a few have already stated, Glock 43, M&P Shield, and Springfield XDS.  I have shot all of these and I carry the Springfield XDS and love everything about it.  I am a Glock fan and really like the Glock 43 as it shoots quite well and is very concealable.  The Shield is also a great gun that shoots well, it just didn't feel right in my hand. You cant go wrong with any of these.  In most cases you can go to a range and rent any of the models listed above to try them out before you purchase.

Is the 43 any better than the 42?   Because the 42 isn't great.

I can't honestly answer that as I've never shot a 42. I only use 9mm in pistol so only have 43. It functions flawlessly and is barely larger than the PF9. Substantially better as well. I have a PF9 also so can say the 43 is leaps and bounds better

How much experience do you have with firearms in general?

relatively little with handguns.  I am proficient in firearm safety.  The shooting portion is a work in progress.  I just watched a video of a 10 yr old shooting a PF9 at an 8" gong from 10 yards.  He hit 4/7...   I'm out of excuses. 

smooth any edges that are "biting" my hand, and grip the thing like I mean it.  After reading a bit over lunch, I think I'm being far to lazy with my left hand while gripping the firearm. 

I can't honestly answer that as I've never shot a 42. I only use 9mm in pistol so only have 43. It functions flawlessly and is barely larger than the PF9. Substantially better as well. I have a PF9 also so can say the 43 is leaps and bounds better

And after some time with teh PF9, that might be a purchase I can rationalize.  But for now, I want to be proficient shooting the PF9.  I'm realistic about the gun's flaws, but I'm far more flawed than it is for now. 

S&w air weight , nothing goes bang every time like a wheel gun.38 spl with low profile hammer and a pocket holster. Prints like a cell phone. Double action safty with the option of single action butter trigger. I've carried a dozen other semis up to the time I bought this and I'll never go back.

9d7c47227b56379c58a51345d1f10729.jpg

But back to the original question, Ive always been a M&P fanboy.

This!! Very accurate, very light with a clean trigger. Plenty of knockdown power. Fires no matter how much lint and dirt gets in it.

relatively little with handguns.  I am proficient in firearm safety.  The shooting portion is a work in progress.  I just watched a video of a 10 yr old shooting a PF9 at an 8" gong from 10 yards.  He hit 4/7...   I'm out of excuses. 

smooth any edges that are "biting" my hand, and grip the thing like I mean it.  After reading a bit over lunch, I think I'm being far to lazy with my left hand while gripping the firearm. 

What do you think you're doing wrong

Trigger-Control-Wheel-296x300.gif