It is the beginning of the end...

Scruit

... of the 2015 riding season.

Yes, this old chestnut again.

We all have our times and reasons for when we put the bike up.   Maybe it's by temp, or by traction or a simple date.

My question is.... As seasons come and go and get get more miles behind you, have you found that you put it up at at different times or of different reasons?  Can't hack to cold as much as you get older?  More risk averse when it comes to traction?

For me, I get spoiled by the summer weather and start to think that I can skip the bike on a given day because there's plenty time left in the season...  But then the time goes away and I hit the point where the risk of hitting low traction is too great.  I don't really ever "winterize" the bike except for sta-bil because it's garaged, on a center stand already and I can always run the engine for a few minutes each month to keep it fresh.  There's usually at least one good day per month where I can at least get around the block a couple times.  Then comes spring and I'm always trying to get out too early.   I can ride cold (25F was my coldest work commute - ground was dry and clear so wrapped up like one of those carnival sumo suits and cranked up the grip heaters.

never done anything but stabil in the gas.    garage doesn't usually go below 50.  no tenders, no chargers for me.  however this year I may have to yank the battery cables because this 2015 R1 is known for randomly killing batteries if left sitting.  

if it drops below 55 I don't ride.  all my gear is made for hot weather.  even my boots are vented.   you don't realize how good they work until it gets cold out.   might as well wear running shoes.

I "Winterize" with stabil and a battery tender, but I ride all 12 months of the year. When theres salt, the bike gets washed after every ride. 30 degrees is my cut-off.

That's pretty much my thoughts on cold weather riding.This year I'm really thinking about heading to California around the first of November and just staying there until at least April.I'm not looking forward to an Ohio winter.

I thought I'd try some cold weather riding last year, bought headed jacket liner and pant, works great very warm, but in the end I realized I just don't enjoy super cold weather riding too much either way. Kinda hard to find that perfect combo of gear that keeps you warm, wind protected, and comfortable all at the same time and if you do its still a hassle to commute with changing/taking clothes on and off. A bookbag, jacket, and boots are enough luggage for me as is. Tho still interested to see how long I make it this winter, Maybe sub 30 riding is an aquired taste lol

last couple years it's been my birthday. Oct 5. This year I will ride longer.

Sta-bil starts getting used at 2 oz per every tank mid September. Both bikes go up on stands. Oil gets changed and I rotate the battery tender every couple weeks. I'll go sit on the bike and jerk off. Using my tears as lube. Sometimes my hand freezers to my dick though.