What's it worth?

Bad324

How can you not have a 12gauge? I'd just save that. Once your kid shows up and your life gets sucked into kids for a while you'll want to expand back out to the population and shoot some shit once in a while.

Realistically the target loads $5/bx to a buddy. $7ish if you're a tightwad.

Edited by Gump

16 hours ago, Gump said:

How can you not have a 12gauge? I'd just save that. Once your kid shows up and your life gets sucked into kids for a while you'll want to expand back out to the population and shoot some shit once in a while.

Realistically the target loads $5/bx to a buddy. $7ish if you're a tightwad.

Sold it because it sat unused for 3 years. Just have a couple handguns these days 

10 hours ago, zx3vfr said:

Your wife is preggerz?

yup and twins to boot. Boy was that one a shocker as that was the absolute least expected thing I thought I would ever hear. So selling off a ton of stuff that I don't use for extra cash and extra space

I'm happy to take cheap firearms off your hands, but kids aren't THAT expensive.  It's more money to get all the stuff they require than to actually maintain a household with a child.

I don't know the specifics of your financial situation, but based on the house you sold, the vehicles you drive, and the stuff you're selling, I'm assuming you're financially "comfortable" in the sense that an extra $50/month in diapers and wipes isn't the type of thing that's going to cause major headaches.

Borrow clothing.  Unless you're the first of your friends and family to have children, there is no reason to buy (very many) baby clothes.  Kids grow like weeds.  Mine just went for her 2 yr appointment this morning and is finally back in the 99th percentile for height & weight...  But my point is that kids wear most articles of clothing 2-3 times at most.  It's not like borrowed stuff is worn out.

We have an automatic order w/ Amazon that sends a box of diapers every 30(?) days and wipes every 50(?) days.  We went that route after a good-faith attempt at cloth diapers (which are expensive as hell, btw).  Screw the environment - your sanity is worth more.

With 2, you're right to be concerned about space :-)    We have a second on the way, and i can't believe how much crap the first one has already accumulated.

And if i can offer a little advice, just stay calm and roll with things.  You and your wife are going to be under stress, and a lot more likely to argue with each other rather than blaming the babies.  Also, i deal with some of the worst parents on the planet fairly routinely...  You've got this. 

Oh, and congratulations.

Edited by redkow97

Thanks! I've pretty much already sold off all my unused firearms before we moved so the only thing I'm considering parting with is my Kahr CM9 but only lukewarm on the idea unless a good trade of a gun plus cash pops up.

Thankfully my wife's sister has 2 kids, both a boy and a girl so we've already acquired a ton of stuff so that's been a good start and I'm sure her baby shower will bring a ton more.

Financial situation is tighter than I'd like to due to a recent "temporary" 20% cut in pay for all employees at my company through at least end of Feb so once again I am looking for a new job to alleviate that. Also have to account for her maternity leave being completely unpaid as well as if she isn't allowed to work remote that will be a big hit. Daycare costs for twins would likely be more than she makes a year so at that point if she can't work remote then losing the 2nd income would be another blow so its been quite trying on my stress levels lately.

Screw the environment, we are going to do the same thing since it's cheaper doing subscribe and save than it is for the Costco/SAM's/BJ's route.

It is amazing how cheap you can find baby clothes at some second hand stores.  I say some because some of them are still not cheap.  You can get many little outfits etc for $20.  At first the wife was not too on board with second hand.  But once she stopped working and we lost 45% of our income she saw the light. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bad324 said:

Thanks! I've pretty much already sold off all my unused firearms before we moved so the only thing I'm considering parting with is my Kahr CM9 but only lukewarm on the idea unless a good trade of a gun plus cash pops up.

Thankfully my wife's sister has 2 kids, both a boy and a girl so we've already acquired a ton of stuff so that's been a good start and I'm sure her baby shower will bring a ton more.

Financial situation is tighter than I'd like to due to a recent "temporary" 20% cut in pay for all employees at my company through at least end of Feb so once again I am looking for a new job to alleviate that. Also have to account for her maternity leave being completely unpaid as well as if she isn't allowed to work remote that will be a big hit. Daycare costs for twins would likely be more than she makes a year so at that point if she can't work remote then losing the 2nd income would be another blow so its been quite trying on my stress levels lately.

Screw the environment, we are going to do the same thing since it's cheaper doing subscribe and save than it is for the Costco/SAM's/BJ's route.

I have twins. Here is some advise that was given to me:

1. No matter what, when one twin wakes up, wake up the other one.  Make sure that they stay on the same eating, sleeping, and shitting schedule. I have heard horror stories from people that didn't live by this rule.

2. Get rest before they are born (I understand that you can't bank sleep).  You will not be able to take turns on the night feedings and diaper changes in the first few months.  My twins were born during peak construction season, and it was months before I could get 6 hours of sleep in a night.

3. Learn the art of being calm. At times, you are going to be without anyone else around, and both babies will be screaming and inconsolable at the same time. (I actually have a daughter 17 months older, so I got this a number of times in triplicate). I use the art of proactivity from Steven Covey to understand that at those times there was nothing that I could do. As long as everyone had clean diapers and were fed, there was nothing that I can do.  All I could do was laugh about it.

4. In Columbus, there is a parents of twins club. If there is one near you, I recommend joining it. You will meet interesting people that can give you anecdotes and their experiences. In Columbus, they have sales with used items. Good forbid that everything doesn't match, because they will fight over anything that doesn't match.

5. Get ready for everyone to tell you that you have your hands full. I literally heard that every time that I went to the store with the kids.

6. Enjoy them. They won't be young forever.

Good Luck!

• Upvote 1

Thanks Connie! I am extremely lucky that one of my close friends who grew up in the house behind me has 3 year old twin boys. They are part of a twins group that we will likely join and have given us countless anecdotes and tips already since they found out on NYE. I also have been reading a blog called Dad's Guide to Twins that has been extremely helpful in prepping.

I sure as hell hope I can learn to be calm, I'm a lot better than I was 5 years ago but even then I'm an Italian with a temper that usually runs hot so we shall see how this goes. I'm excited and terrified all at the same time.

My wife was a nanny for twins from the time they were 4 weeks old.  That is about the closest I have come to dealing with twins, but some things are true with 1 kid too - namely letting them cry.

No child has ever died of being allowed to cry.  Sticking around and getting frustrated is a much worse idea.  I could tell you stories that would give you chills that start off with some shitty dad who is too young or too stupid and irresponsible to have kids getting angry when the baby is crying too long, too loud, etc.  

A little more advice - learn and remember infant rescue breathing, CPR, and Heimlich maneuver (you lay the baby on your knee and strike their back, allowing your knee to provide the pressure on their abdomen).  My daughter choked, stopped breathing, and turned blue when she was 10 months(?) old.  I panicked and did the infant Heimlich completely wrong.  I'm lucky i didn't break her ribs.  I tear up thinking about it right now as I type it. Horrible experience that was all due to my ignorance.  I DID remember how to properly perform rescue breathing, and that may be what saved her.  (she's totally fine BTW.  Kids are shockingly durable - which makes me that much more disgusted when I encounter those who are really severely injured 'by accident.')

As for child care, friends of mine are actually set to launch an app that might help with that. http://www.mykomae.com/

We are fortunate enough to have Grandma and Nana 3 days a week, and our daughter goes to a sitter's house for a few hours on the remaining two days.  My wife works from home during nap time.  The costs are almost non-existant.

when is your wife due?  You might be able to find a responsible college student on summer break for at least a temporary less expensive option.