Tire suggestions...

Cdubyah

So I currently have Avon Storm 2's ony mean streak. The front is toast and the rear isn't far behind. So I'm in the market for new tars.

Right now all  I can find are Metzlers, which aren't bad, just not sure how they will fity riding style. I want something that's gonna grip in the corners for a 600 lbs bike. From what I read, they are nice for cruisers that go straight, and well, that's just not my thing.

front: 130/70r17

Rear 170/60r17

Thoughts about putting a different size on there?

Collective brain trust assemble! 

Just realized niether of those are in your size...ill shut up now. :nono: 

So you basically have to put a tire made for the rear of a bike on the front of yours?

Edited by 2talltim

Cdubyah I had the Metzlers' 880 on my V rod. They were pretty good. Lately I've been seeing posts with people having chunks of tread come off. But I don't know how old their tires are. I think pirrelli has a good tire for cruisers. I'll check back.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Cdubyah said:

front: 130/70r17

Rear 170/60r17

Avon Cobra's.  The choice of maniac cruiser riders everywhere.  I ran the hell out of them on my previous two bikes. They wear very well, ride great and grip like a son of a bitch even in the rain.  After my 8 inch sideways slide on the way to the dragon last fall I will probably put them on this bike. They were originally made for Wings, so they handle the weight and the speed in corners very well.

Warning, keep the front inflated well.  The front will cup in a heartbeat if you don't.

http://www.avonmoto.com/products/cruiser-touring-custom/cobra

They have a 130/80 for the front. And a 190/60 for the rear.  If it will fit that rear will fix a couple of miles an hour on your speedo which I will bet is reading 3 mph fast on the freeway. It is about 3/4 of an inch wider, which will look baddass and make your dick bigger.

Size calculator comparison gizmo:

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTireMath.do

Modz, lock this thread. The correct advice has been given.

• Upvote 3

Michelin Commander II will fit the bill quite well if made in you size.

you could get a way with 120/70-17 on the front which would open you up to any sport touring tire out there, which would be way more grip than what you have been running.  Do you know what the front and rear rim width measures?

Bridgestone T30

Michelin Pilot Road 3 or 4

Dunlop Roadsmart II

Pirelli Angle GT

1 hour ago, Tonik said:

My previously mentioned 8 inch sideways slide was on those.

What were the circumstances during the slide?  Cold? Wet? Age and wear level of tire?

Just curious for future recommendations.  I have only heard good of the Commanders and my Dad runs them and loves them.

29 minutes ago, whaler said:

What were the circumstances during the slide?  Cold? Wet? Age and wear level of tire?

Just curious for future recommendations.  I have only heard good of the Commanders and my Dad runs them and loves them.

Coldish and wet. Road was more slippery than most, it has a reputation for that.  It was 16 through W. VA/VA.  Came out of a corner and rolled on and the back went out..then the front went with it a bit. Scared the shit outta Tim.  Obviously I rolled on too hard, but it wasn't that wet, I wasn't leaned over that far and I didn't roll on that hard. It should not have come loose, imnsho.

Tim may have a different opinion, he is welcome to share it.

But, I only know one other guy that feels the way I do.  I know a boatload of Kaw cruiser guys, they swear by these tires.  Thus my hesitation to switch them, other than that day they have been great tires. I have burned up three rears and two fronts. I got a lot of miles on them and only this one event. Very possible I f'd up and should just take my licks and move on.

Ok, I have confirmed with other Meanies that a 190 will fit no problem. Heck if you want you can get a 200 in there but I wouldn't, at that point I gotta think you are squeezing the tire too much with the rim and messing up the contact patch.

Coldish and wet. Road was more slippery than most, it has a reputation for that.  It was 16 through W. VA/VA.  Came out of a corner and rolled on and the back went out..then the front went with it a bit. Scared the shit outta Tim.  Obviously I rolled on too hard, but it wasn't that wet, I wasn't leaned over that far and I didn't roll on that hard. It should not have come loose, imnsho.

Tim may have a different opinion, he is welcome to share it.

But, I only know one other guy that feels the way I do.  I know a boatload of Kaw cruiser guys, they swear by these tires.  Thus my hesitation to switch them, other than that day they have been great tires. I have burned up three rears and two fronts. I got a lot of miles on them and only this one event. Very possible I f'd up and should just take my licks and move on.

Yea it was cool and damp but not really super wet. His bike literally looked like it jumped a foot to one side from my angle. Not really a corner just a slight bend in the road. I would have been changing my drawers

12 hours ago, 2talltim said:

Just realized niether of those are in your size...ill shut up now. :nono: 

So you basically have to put a tire made for the rear of a bike on the front of yours?

Yeah....you see the problem now.

Apparently those are odd sizes in just about anything. I can get a front or a rear, but not a matching set in the sizes I want. Really frustrating around tire time.

Looking at your options and needing a tire that handles made for a heavy bike. I would go with the Michelin PR4 (GT spec) they carry a rear in your size and I'd just put a 120 on the front OR put a Michelin Pilot Street on the front (they make one in that size but it technically a rear tire)

9 hours ago, 2talltim said:

Yea it was cool and damp but not really super wet. His bike literally looked like it jumped a foot to one side from my angle. Not really a corner just a slight bend in the road. I would have been changing my drawers

The way you describe it makes me want to change my tires more.

54 minutes ago, Cdubyah said:

Yeah....you see the problem now.

Apparently those are odd sizes in just about anything. I can get a front or a rear, but not a matching set in the sizes I want. Really frustrating around tire time.

Typical in the cruiser world, finding exact size matches other than what the OEM put on there is difficult. Especially the Kaw's. Don't worry about it, I can't remember the last time I had the same size as the factory put on.

Dunlop D220 was a stock tire on some of the Meanies. Iron Pony shows them on the website in your stock size, and might have them in the store.

edit: They show both the front and the rear tire. Give them a call and see.

Edited by ReconRat

Found Bridgestone Exedra pairs in those sizes, but the rear might be discontinued and hard to find. Looks like the Battlax rear is the option. Dunno about that.

edit: Iron Pony shows the Exedra pairs on the website also. Be aware that there is both an Exedra radial and bias ply. The bias ply isn't in your sizes, but fair warning.

Edited by ReconRat

Just now, ReconRat said:

Found Bridgestone Exedra pairs in those sizes,

Those are stock on most of the newer Kaw cruisers. Universally hated by everyone. Ride like poo and wear out really fast.  I threw my rear right the hell away after only 4000 miles. My only regret is not doing a massive burnout before I swapped it.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Tonik said:

...Universally hated by everyone...

Yup, figured that... oddly, they show high ratings on websites. Stupid internet...

edit: I just buy Dunlops, so all the Dunlop haters will hate me...

Edited by ReconRat

I've always ran Dunlop Roadsmarts on my ZX14, and the centers held up to some straightline punishment as well as cornered well.  I did my first trackday on a set, but that wasn't too spirited compared to later trackdays -- that's when I went Q2, those were great on grip but sucked at longevity.

I think you'd like the Roadsmarts, and they'd probably last quite some time.  I'd get between 3-4k miles on a rear, and usually up to 8k on a front -- with considerable throttle hamfisting

14 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

I hated the RoadSmarts on my TL, but that was when they first came out. I heard they changed them after the Gen 1's

Yeah, I should've specified - Roadsmart 2's is what I've ran

I kinda like the RoadSmarts... but... I do notice the traction transition between the compounds when cornering. Not really used to that happening yet. Yeah, it sometimes will slip and jump sideways. But not often. Any of the "hard center" tires will probably do this.