Auto Insurance Needed (teen friendly)

2talltim

Well the oldest is taking her drivers test today so last night I checked on adding her to the policy. Currently through Progressive and have been with them for 9 years. We have 3 cars (05 Tahoe, 07 Impala, 05 Sentra) and full coverage on all of them. With just me and the Mrs. we currently pay $627 a half, good credit, no tickets, no claims in over 5 years. When I checked last night just to add my kid to the policy with a good student discount and changing nothing else shoot my rate to $1107 for 6 months...I was like WTF?

I checked around last night and State Farm wanted about the same but Gieco was quite a bit lower they quoted me $688 for 6 months with the kid. Plus Gieco quoted me $100 less a year for the bikes vs what I pay now. Dose anyone else have any recommendations for me to try? If not looks like I'm going with the lizard.

Well I totally don't mind covering the cost of the insurance because. My kid is involved in many after school activities(marching band, cross country, drama club, pep band, and some other crap) that if she dosn't have her own wheels I have to do all that running around and play taxi after working 50 to 60 hours a week. So it's a small price to pay to get some of my free time back. Plus she can take the youngest child to all his crap as well.

• Upvote 1

Well she passed with a perfect score, time to start shopping for insurance I guess. I'll add her to my current policy till I make a decision, don't have a payment due for a couple weeks.

Edited by 2talltim
  • Upvote 1

If you need a vehicle for her, I've got a fairly nice shape 03 highlander with under 100k v6 fwd most everything works, speakers have been slowly crapping out, but I bought a box of them off ebay and replacing as needed.

1 hour ago, zx3vfr said:

If you need a vehicle for her, I've got a fairly nice shape 03 highlander with under 100k v6 fwd most everything works, speakers have been slowly crapping out, but I bought a box of them off ebay and replacing as needed.

We are all set there but thanks, the 05 Nissan Sentra is hers.

Well did ALOT of shopping around tonight and found a pretty good deal through Liberty Mutual, Got the coverages I wanted for all of us for $630 for 6 months basically the exact same I was paying before plus it's a locked in rate for 12 months. They have some kind of deal that offers Nissan owners a pretty good discount. Next will be bike policy time 3 weeks to renew.

2 hours ago, zx3vfr said:

Pm/textme details on it. Would consider if I can offload the Camry

We have State Farm, and am looked at USAA, as I am a banking member there. Just about everyone is double when you add the teenager so far that I've seen. Which is why if our boy wants added, he will have to use his provided car to acquire gainful employment to pay for said doubling of insurance. 

• Upvote 2