Kids and owning a bike

snot

@redkow97

This is a good topic.

My dad had a bike before me, he has always had a bike.

He made time for both kids and bike. He rode to work and went on rides with friends. My first ride was around the block at 3-4 (i say in front of him). As we got older he would take us on rides one at a time for 10-15 min. each. When we could be alone at home for longer periods he took us for longer rides. He went on rides with friends while we stayed with grandma. 

My step dad got his bike when I was a kid....he also sold me my first bike.

I thought my dad's were the coolest dad's ever. 

Edited by snot
  • Upvote 2

me and dad on bikes-003.jpg

My dad always had a street bike and a dirt bike.

When I about 5 or 6, Dad got me a little green Garelli  dirt bike. 

I was allowed to ride it in the back yard, only if dad was with me.

Then, at some point, Dad gave up riding as he become more involved with me and sports and boyscouts.

I was 16 when I got my first street bike, but my dad never did get another street bike for himself.

Best father's dad ever, time spent with dad riding motorcycles. I has a sport bike that I rode and my Dad rode my other bike, a 1982 GS 850 Suzuki. I still have the 850, probably will never sell it. ( My father passed away in 2012, I know I posted it here after it happened ) 

Edited by scottb
added photo to original post
  • Upvote 4

i secretly strapped my then infant daughter with one of those ergo baby things and took a couple rides around my neighborhood on my scooter.  a few horrified looks from passing by stay at home moms later, smiling daddy and daughter

• Upvote 2

My StepDad rode a Honda Dream 305 in the 60s, but he never had a bike while I was growing up until he gave me a little XR75 when I turned 11.  He bought himself a Trail70 to putt around the woods on.  We had a blast camping, riding, and hunting together when we had those little bikes.  A few years later he gave up riding and sold off both bikes to upgrade me to a CR125 that I got into all kinds of trouble on.  He never did ride again and died young back in '99, but thanks to him winning the battles against my Mom's wishes, I got a fairly early start on my motorcycle fetish and continued to pursue my love of it ever since.

My Father has ridden his whole life, and took me for rides when I was a teen and visited him in Florida.  Since he's moved back to Ohio a few years ago, we've taken a couple short rides together, but no long days now that he's retired and has bad shoulders.  Anymore his saddle time is mostly straight to a local destination and back on his triked Wing.  So if it weren't for my StepDad's gifted dirtbikes, and my Father's biker dna....I'd probably be one of those "car guys".

I tried influencing my daughter to get into motorcycles when she was young, but she never really took interest in it.  She did enjoy a few rides around the neighborhood when she was 4 or 5 on the back of my YZF and her grandpa's Wing though.  I'm a believer in raising kids on/around bikes so they can make up their own minds whether they like 'em or not, but in my opinion if they never get the opportunity to try it - you're doing wrong by the kid.

• Upvote 1

My father has aways had a bike and would take my sister and I on rides all over the place.  First ride was on a Kawasaki H1 500, I was terrified, but also never the same!  All 3 of my kids have taken rides around the neighborhood by age 3 and have accompanied me to every super bike race at Mid-Ohio from age 1 up.  My oldest (14) rides a moped and is so hooked on bikes that it is all he talks about for years.  My daughter (12) also wants to get moped and ride a bike once she is old enough.  My youngest (10) rides motocross and started racing towards the end of last year.  All of them have had dirtbikes starting with PW50's.

Motorcycles have become a common interest between my children and I, and our lives are better because of it.

• Upvote 1

My dad had all sorts of motorcycles before I was born, and had a 83 750 interceptor until I was about a year old then sold it.

when I was 12 he bought a brand new nighthawk, 97 iirc, he would take my sisters and me for rides. Then he bought the 919 in 2002, which at that point I had totally geeked out and had no interest in 2 wheels on the street, but I did ride the piss out of an xr200 on a regular basis.

I didnt start riding street until I was 24, and have had a bike since, I took my daughter around the neighbor hood a few times last fall and she seems to enjoy it, but not yet this year because she has a big head and out grew he helmet, so I'll be going to get her a MX helmet in the next couple weeks when the weather stays constantly warmer.

Edited by zx3vfr

I bought my bike in 2006ish, and had my brother riding almost immediately.  After he got a  bike, our dad found a clean and cheap GS500 to spend time with us.  That never really panned out.  He rode it twice (I rode it more than he did) and sold it for what he paid.

He's more into golf.  SMH.   But he does ask about racing, etc.   If my kids want to ride, I think that will draw him into it more.  Neither of my girls will be required to ride, but both of them are going to know how, damnit.

My dad didn't have a bike until I was in high school. We rode 4-wheelers together, and i switched to dirt bikes when he switched to street bikes. At 17 years old, with my high school graduation money and some savings, I bought my first street bike(01 CBR F4i). We rode together all the time, him on his Harley, me on the sport bike. We don't ride as much together now due to our riding styles being different paces, but we still tour together. We spend more time now in the garage wrenching bikes, which I thoroughly enjoy.

• Upvote 1

My dad died from cancer when I was two.  My surrogate dad was my uncle. He taught me to hunt, fish, ride a bike and got me laid the first time. He was cool as fuck.  Killed himself on a bike. He is why I ride.

• Upvote 1

I guess I view things a lot differently as a parent than I did as a kid (this has been your blatantly obvious statement of the day...), but when I think about the stuff I really internalized from my dad, I can't figure out why it was those specific moments.  This is hugely frustrating as a father, because I realize that I have virtually no control over what my daughter(s) retain.

Quick examples of very vivid dad memories, bits of wisdom, etc.:

- Dad explains to me what a crescent wrench is, and how to properly use it.  I don't recall being taught what other tools were, but that one warranted explanation for some reason.

- "The easy thing to do is almost never the right thing to do."

- "If you're gonna hit, hit hard."  (I like this because it works when you're talking to a 5th grader about whether or not to punch a bully, and equally as well in racing, at work, etc.)

- "DON'T FUCK WITH ME!"  I thought it would be funny to tell my dad that I had forgotten my soccer cleats while we were already late for the game, and halfway to the field.  It's the first time I remember my dad saying "fuck" in front of me.

- I was obsessed with robots when I was 4 or 5. Dad made me a "robot" out of cardboard boxes, wrapping paper tubes, and other household items.   I cried because it wouldn't walk, talk, etc.  I think I genuinely hurt his feelings that day.  We've talked about it a few times as adults.  We're both over it :)

I have similar memories with my mom, particularly her making a giant "letter chart" that showed me how to write every letter of the alphabet, so I would stop interrupting her for help every 30 seconds.  She was great about making crafts for/with me. 

But I guess the take-away is to always assume your kids are going to remember whatever you're doing or saying, for the rest of their lives - because they might.

My dad owned one bike. For probably less than a year. He liked it more than he will admit. Got my mom on the back of it once. She hates everything about motorcycling. Actually she hates most all of my hobbies except golf, which just happens to be the one I do the least. Now because my mom hates motocycles, my dad cant even show interest in them or it gets her upset. He did ask me to ride the 600rr when my mom, sister, and grandma all went out shopping once. That was a good day seeing my dad ride up and down the street with a big grin.

They (mostly mom) told me they would kick me out of the house if I bought a motorcycle while still living under their roof. I called that bluff when I showed up on my first bike pulling into the driveway.

One of my goals in life is to take a motorcycle trip with my dad. Probably will never happen but a guy can dream right?

With that said, my kid(s) when and if I have them, are getting exposed asap. In time they'll either like it or move on, but I want to expose them to it to let them make their own decision. 

Edited by TimTheAzn

Damn, 2up all the way over there?

Haha, No ...I'd liked to tried it but don't think the boy would have been up to it. We trailered to my aunts house east of Denver, uloaded and took off for a few days through the mountians. That's why my states ridden in map looks the way it does. Some of the best riding in my life.

• Upvote 1

Oh my, this change in you makes me sad. Very sad.

It was a convenience thing. My dad and two of his siblings were going out to visit there sister and dad ask if I wanted to go. He said if I drove he would pay for the gas. So why not throw the bike on a trailer and have it out there? Only thing this trip cost me was food for me and the boy and our hotels the 3 days we went out on out own. That was the trip we hit Sturgis on the way home too.

Oh my, this change in you makes me sad. Very sad.

It was a convenience thing. My dad and two of his siblings were going out to visit there sister and dad ask if I wanted to go. He said if I drove he would pay for the gas. So why not throw the bike on a trailer and have it out there? Only thing this trip cost me was food for me and the boy and our hotels the 3 days we went out on out own. That was the trip we hit Sturgis on the way home too.

It was still an adventure with 3 retired people, myself and my son piled onto my Tahoe..lol

6 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

It was still an adventure with 3 retired people, myself and my son piled onto my Tahoe..lol

I misunderstood, I thought you trailer-ed to the Flight 93 memorial. I was halfway home to get my bike to drive down there and get your man card before I realized my mistake.  Carry on.

I misunderstood, I thought you trailer-ed to the Flight 93 memorial. I was halfway home to get my bike to drive down there and get your man card before I realized my mistake.  Carry on.

Yea, no that(93 memorial) was a afternoon ride..lol

We trailered to Colorado.