Bike trip, who's going?

2talltim

Bar Harbor is worth a visit if you get that far up the coast.

Dont think I will, I'd like to save most of Maine for a Maine/Nova Scotia trip later on. Might even skip the Portland part and head back a day early, will all depend on how the trip goes and weather of course.

Just now, 2talltim said:

Dont think I will, I'd like to save most of Maine for a Maine/Nova Scotia trip later on. Might even skip the Portland part and head back a day early, will all depend on how the trip goes and weather of course.

That's a good plan.  Maine is almost a trip by itself.

1 hour ago, Danimal said:
I'm out. Vacation request has been denied.

My Dept. at work is down two folks recently, and they need me to fill in until the positions are replaced.

Well that sucks man maybe next time.

Edited by 2talltim

Yea timing sucked for this trip, but my wife is having surgury the week I get back and I'm using FMLA for it. And my work takes any remaining vacation time you have left for fmla. So I had to use it or loose it.

If you can get the time off I could delay departure till tuesday.

We've been up that way each of the past 4 summers (once in a car and three times on the m/c).  If you already know what follows, please feel free to disregard. 

The ferry from Port Kent NY to Burlington VT is approximately a 1 hour boat trip.   Drops you right in the middle of Burlington downtown.  We've done it past 2 years.  Nice way to relax and cool off after riding up through the "Lakes". (Saranc Lake, Tupper lake and Lake Placid).  At the Olympic ski jumping venue you can take the ski lift to the top and ride big inner tubes down the hill.  Speeds hit 50 mph or so.  (I passed on the opportunity).

In NH, Routes 302, 112 (the Kanc), 2 and 16 are good routes.  If you get to Franconia area, check out the Franconia Notch Gorge state park.   Even if you don't get too far into Maine, take a look at Rt 1A which runs from Hampton Beach NH up the coast thru Rye Harbor to Portsmouth.   Very scenic and gives you a little taste of the coast.

Mt Washington has a web site to check conditions at the summit (temps, wind speed & visibility).  

The area near Lake Winnipesaukee is nice and scenic.  Laconia and Wolfesboro are popular towns near the lake.

Depending where you cross Champlain, there are several good options to cross VT from west to east.   Rt 2 runs parallel with the interstate and after leaving Montpelier pick up 302 to 112 into Lincoln and the Kanc

Rt 4 out of Rutland will take you up over Killington Peak and through Woodstock VT.

To the south Rt 9 is a nice ride across the southern portion of the state.  Rt 7 runs north to south on the western side of the state.

We just returned from a 13 day trip to SD, WY and MT, otherwise I'd be interested to join you.  NE is always a great area to ride.

Stay safe, and enjoy the ride !

Edited by Wahoo
  • Upvote 1

We've been up that way each of the past 4 summers (once in a car and three times on the m/c).  If you already know what follows, please feel free to disregard. 

The ferry from Port Kent NY to Burlington VT is approximately a 1 hour boat trip.   Drops you right in the middle of Burlington downtown.  We've done it past 2 years.  Nice way to relax and cool off after riding up through the "Lakes". (Saranc Lake, Tupper lake and Lake Placid).  At the Olympic ski jumping venue you can take the ski lift to the top and ride big inner tubes down the hill.  Speeds hit 50 mph or so.  (I passed on the opportunity).

In NH, Routes 302, 112 (the Kanc), 2 and 16 are good routes.  If you get to Franconia area, check out the Franconia Notch Gorge state park.   Even if you don't get too far into Maine, take a look at Rt 1A which runs from Hampton Beach NH up the coast thru Rye Harbor to Portsmouth.   Very scenic and gives you a little taste of the coast.

Mt Washington has a web site to check conditions at the summit (temps, wind speed & visibility).  

The area near Lake Winnipesaukee is nice and scenic.  Laconia and Wolfesboro are popular towns near the lake.

Depending where you cross Champlain, there are several good options to cross VT from west to east.   Rt 2 runs parallel with the interstate and after leaving Montpelier pick up 302 to 112 into Lincoln and the Kanc

Rt 4 out of Rutland will take you up over Killington Peak and through Woodstock VT.

To the south Rt 9 is a nice ride across the southern portion of the state.  Rt 7 runs north to south on the western side of the state.

We just returned from a 13 day trip to SD, WY and MT, otherwise I'd be interested to join you.  NE is always a great area to ride.

Stay safe, and enjoy the ride !

Thank you, I'm still tweeting my maps I'll be sure to check these areas out.

I'd love to do this trip seeing as how I grew up in upstate NY. I've always wanted to ride up there (I moved away before I ever owned a street bike). I'm not sure I could swing the vacation time. The ride across NY is brutal too. I've driven from Cincinnati to Lake George and back probably a dozen times and it's always the longest part of the trip. NY State is massive. 

There's a ferry south near Ticonderoga, which is a pretty cool revolutionary/french & indian war fort that runs daily tours, they even shoot a canon (many an elementary school field trip spent there). There's a bridge not far north of there near Lake George that was recently redone, dumps you into the rolling fields south of Vergennes... about an hour south of Burlington. A bunch of Apple orchards, strawberry/raspberry picking places and a few smaller farm stores that sell maple syrup and such. Vermont Flannel Co. also has a shop on the way to Burlington from Vergennes for all your lumberjack needs.

Hotel Vermont in Burlington is nice, the rooms are very uh.. euro-modern and kinda small but the food there is some of the best in town; you can also get one of the highest ranked IPA's in the country there at the bar (https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/27039/16814/). Shelburne Farm is worth driving through (or even staying at if you can get a room, though they aren't cheap), it's a preserved estate from the late 1800's that was built by the Vanderbilts. Beautiful property with a good number of hiking trails and so on, right on the lake. The Inland Sea (45 minutes or so north of Burlington) will be the warmest part of Lake Champlain if you want to swim at all.

You'll find the best roads on the eastern part of the state if you're up north. If you head to central/southern Vermont, there's good roads all over the damn place since it's all mountains. The road up to Smuggler's Notch/Stowe is pretty cool, I think it's 108; not far out of Burlington heading East.

A number of ski areas keep their fire access roads open during the summer and I know that a few of them are paved a good portion of the way to the top of the hill. Good views from the top. I wouldn't recommend going up Killington's, it gets really steep in some sections and is all course gravel. There's a gondola you can take to the top for the view though, it runs daily.

24 minutes ago, ScubaCinci said:

You can actually rent a mountain bike and ride down the mountain (Killington) on fire roads though. Did that one summer...it's crazy.

I used to ride that mountain a lot when I was younger. Have a bunch of scars on my leg from eating shit a few times.

Looks like I might not be going now. Spending the weekend in Niagara Falls and spending WAY more than I thought I would.(but worth it, having a blast)And a family obligation popped up today that I have to take care of next week. :(