Ohio Dept of Taxation advice

blue72beetle

Yeah, I know, none of you are lawyers so I fully expect snarky replies.

I sold my Grom to a guy in Ohio recently. Today I get a letter from the Ohio Dept of Taxation, asking me to verify the selling price so they can bust him if he under-reported the price on the title. I'd like to tell them to fuck off. IMO, I paid sales tax on the bike once when it was new, they don't need to collect on it again. But that's just my opinion, fuck the government, etc. and all that.

At the bottom of the letter it states "Any false representation of the price would be in violation of Ohio Revised Code section 2921.13. Violation of this section is punishable by a fine of up to $1,000 or six (6) months imprisonment, or both."

Since you guys live in Ohio, is this common over there when you buy/sell used cars and bikes? Are they strict on it? I figure they aren't too strict, or else they would've required someone to sign for the letter. I probably will contact the guy I sold it to, and ask him what he reported as the price.

10 minutes ago, Tonik said:

I would not lie, that ain't worth it. The question is, can you legally ignore the letter? I dunno.

Last time I got one I accidentally ignored it. Realized about a year later I never mailed it in. YMMV

If

3 hours ago, Idiot said:

I wouldn't lie either, but then the next question is... are they going to use whatever answer you give against you if you don't include it as income in your next return?  

Sorry, just realized you're one state over.  They probably don't share that info.

It wouldn't be income, it would be a loss in 99% of scenarios

• Upvote 1

When me a Poke traded bikes we got these, but we put ($0 trade)on the sale price, well because it was. We ended up calling and paying the tax on the difference in value which was like $1500, so we said. In your case I'd ignore it utill they ay least make a "official" attempt to contact you instead of a computer generated letter.

8 hours ago, Casper said:

Last time I got one I accidentally ignored it. Realized about a year later I never mailed it in. YMMV

I've done the same accidentally when I moved. Found the papers 6 months later and never heard a thing after that letter 

I received one as a buyer. Ignored it , and the certified letter came later. They were trying to tax me for more than the vehicle sold for new, and this was on a 7 yr old quad.

I'd contact buyer like you mentioned. When I contacted my seller he said he never herd from them? If your buyer put a rediculious low price on the title, that's why it was flagged.

1 hour ago, M_Quick said:

I received one as a buyer. Ignored it , and the certified letter came later. They were trying to tax me for more than the vehicle sold for new, and this was on a 7 yr old quad.

I'd contact buyer like you mentioned. When I contacted my seller he said he never herd from them? If your buyer put a rediculious low price on the title, that's why it was flagged.

when i bought gumps 599, they tried to tell me that local dealerships were selling them for $6,500 or something like that.

when i bought gumps 599, they tried to tell me that local dealerships were selling them for $6,500 or something like that.

About the same shit they told me. They said that was the average price they see them selling for. I'd have to lool but it was about $6500 as well!

Contact the buyer, find out what he put as the selling price and communicate this amount back to the state. Your answers match, end of story. If you can't get a hold of him, give them a lowball price and worst case he has to pay a little more tax.

If I had ever under reported the sale value in the past when buying selling, it definitely would've been done with the knowledge and consent of the other party and wouldn't be far enough away from a reasonable price to arouse suspicion. Again, if I ever did do such a thing. :challengeaccepted:

If it was a cash transaction and no checks or other receipts, it is the responsibility of the buyer to pay the taxes (and they basically have no proof).  They are trying to do an end run to get the buyer to pay more.  If the number put on the title matched the sale, no issues.  Mostly, they are fishing.

Buyer got back to me, he put $500 on the title. I left it blank for him when I sold it, here in Indiana we do that all the time, they don't care how much you pay for something. However I'm guessing it won't be too long before Indiana starts to look for ways to get more money out of you. I'll put $500 on the form and mail it back, one of these days when I get bored. Nothing online to tie it back to either of us or the bike, he paid cash. If they don't like that, then guess what, I blew the engine up before I sold it, it was worthless. Wait, what? He fixed it and rides it around? Just like new? Hmm, good for him, he got a deal.

Now I know, if I ever sell a car or bike to someone in Ohio again...

I sold my sentra to a Mexican last year and got one of these letters. I was honest on it put down the sale price. If I had any way to contact the buyer and a translator I would have, but I didn't. Fuck him, he can pay the tax, his dumb ass for putting a ridiculous low price on the title. 

I put wrecked / doesn't run / parts only on all my titles, lol... don't care...It's my choice

edit: most of them aren't worth anything when I'm done with them anyway.

Edited by ReconRat