What sportbike should I get.

Tonik

6 minutes ago, jschaf said:

Crappy mileage on the cbr is directly proportional to your level of hooliganism. The mpg on my cbr has varied from 22 to 43 depending on the mood I was in.

Haha  Yep!  But getting nervous at 100 miles sucks regardless of how much fun you had getting there!

11 minutes ago, drc32-0 said:

If you're going to a Yamaha demo you might want to check out the FJ 09.If you're going to use it primarily for day rides the lighter weight might be a plus.But the FJR is also a great bike, especially for multi-day rides.

Forgot about this one and the @Tpoppa express.

9 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

The Vfr1200 is more of a sport bike than the FJR or concourse.  It has a slipper clutch, excellent stock suspension, amazing abs (no pulsing), and a fantastic V4.  The N1K is a great choice also.

Can the big VFR still be had new in the US?

Have heard from many people that the 1200 motor may be the best street motor ever.

So @Tpoppa @Connie14 have pretty well nailed the real question.  Am I adding a comfortable more sporty bike to my stable, or am I replacing it with a rock solid Sport Touring bike.  My learned Asian friend nailed that in the first post.

I certainly was checking out T'pop's bike at the Epic ride and the gap trip.  If I go sporty and add to the stable the 1200 is an extremely strong contender, as would be the Multi though a different breed than the VFR. Lets face it, I am old.  It won't be a liter GXR 1000 or a Busa, I will either kill myself or mess up my body...or hate it because it doesn't have the basic comfort I am used to.

If this is a replacement, assuming Mrs. Tonik is reasonably comfortable, then it will be a Connie when they add cruise or an FJR.  Might need to look at the Honda ST, but there must be something up with those...they don't seem to get much love. Honestly, a Wing isn't a bad idea either. Not as fast but damn fast and nimble.

As for the suggestion my son buy me one, he has offered.  I turned him down. In the event I get killed or hurt I don't want that on his shoulders.  Now, if he offers me a Tesla, I am all over that shit.

I thank each and everyone of you, I really appreciate the advice. It's going to happen....just got to ride the hell out of everything like @Isaac's Papa said.  Maybe we need an invitation only OR Demo Day where we ride each others bikes.

4 hours ago, Tonik said:

So I got home Saturday afternoon from my ride with @DerekClouser and @whaler around 1:30 or so.  Wife says, what are you doing back, its usually 6 or so when you go to SEO.  Part of my answer was they were way faster than me and I didn't want to hold them up. And she says:

"You should add a sportbike to the garage so you can roll with those people."

Not what I expected, but I will certainly take it.

Not so sure I am going to do it, but maybe.  I am concerned about my back.  It isn't  'bad' but it is borderline, I have to be careful with it to avoid trouble.

Anyway, what should I get?  Bad's VFR was my first thought, just to piss him off. But that is more than I would want to invest in a once in awhile bike plus it would need to have front suspension work to make it right for someone of my weight.

Just to be clear, I hope you didn't bail on the ride because you felt you were holding us up?   I'd ride with you any day and have zero complaints about being 'held up' by you. 

I'm going to agree with Isaac's Papa. Without more information (is this going to be a two-up bike also, or just something for fun runs?), it's hard to make a good recommendation, but the idea of getting a capable bike with non-sportbike ergonomics seems to make sense to me if it's just a one-up bike. For two, yeah, an FJR or Concours 14 or VFR 1200 would be a good choice, but for one, why not something that's fast and fun and lighter but still not going to break your back? He suggested a Ducati. Personally, I'd lean toward something like a Street Triple, or maybe the aforementioned FZ-09. 

Edit: OK, soon as I post, you respond that it could be a two-up bike. So nix the Street Triple or FZ.

Edited by motociclista

Just now, DerekClouser said:

Just to be clear, I hope you didn't bail on the ride because you felt you were holding us up?   I'd ride with you any day and have zero complaints about being 'held up' by you. 

No, not at all.  That was just part of my explanation to my wife.  I shortened the conversation with her for the purposes of the thread.  You are pretty much stuck with me when you ride now. 

• Upvote 1

I think I would go with the FJR or Concorse as others have stated.  I will have one in the stable at some point.  I have always like the mix of sport and comfort plus the extra carrying capacity for longer trips.  @jacobhawkins drove his like it was a super sport and it handled just fine.  I would definitely take one for a spin if you can.

Just now, Tonik said:

No, not at all.  That was just part of my explanation to my wife.  I shortened the conversation with her for the purposes of the thread.  You are pretty much stuck with me when you ride now. 

I'm good with that, as long as it doesn't involve bulls, mountain lions, or bobcats.  @whaler

Just now, motociclista said:

I'm going to agree with Isaac's Papa. Without more information (is this going to be a two-up bike also, or just something for fun runs?), it's hard to make a good recommendation, but the idea of getting a capable bike with non-sportbike ergonomics seems to make sense to me if it's just a one-up bike. For two, yeah, an FJR or Concours 14 or VFR 1200 would be a good choice, but for one, why not something that's fast and fun and lighter but still not going to break your back? He suggested a Ducati. Personally, I'd lean toward something like a Street Triple, or maybe the aforementioned FZ-09. 

Damn you, just six posts ago I thought I had a plan.  But you are right, there are lots of 'straight up' options. And no, I don't really hate Duc's, I admire the hell out of them.  But don't tell @Isaac's Papa

12 minutes ago, Tonik said:

So @Tpoppa @Connie14 have pretty well nailed the real question.  Am I adding a comfortable more sporty bike to my stable, or am I replacing it with a rock solid Sport Touring bike.  My learned Asian friend nailed that in the first post.

I certainly was checking out T'pop's bike at the Epic ride and the gap trip.  If I go sporty and add to the stable the 1200 is an extremely strong contender, as would be the Multi though a different breed than the VFR. Lets face it, I am old.  It won't be a liter GXR 1000 or a Busa, I will either kill myself or mess up my body...or hate it because it doesn't have the basic comfort I am used to.

If this is a replacement, assuming Mrs. Tonik is reasonably comfortable, then it will be a Connie when they add cruise or an FJR.  Might need to look at the Honda ST, but there must be something up with those...they don't seem to get much love. Honestly, a Wing isn't a bad idea either. Not as fast but damn fast and nimble.

As for the suggestion my son buy me one, he has offered.  I turned him down. In the event I get killed or hurt I don't want that on his shoulders.  Now, if he offers me a Tesla, I am all over that shit.

I thank each and everyone of you, I really appreciate the advice. It's going to happen....just got to ride the hell out of everything like @Isaac's Papa said.  Maybe we need an invitation only OR Demo Day where we ride each others bikes.

The VFR1200, or an expensive R1200RS, are about the 2 lightest weight STs that offer shaft drive ( if it's a must for you ).  While the RS has awesome ergos/electronics/abs/cruise, I hear the OEM luggage sucks, the engine is quite and odd duck in it's delivery, and it costs near 20k.  

12 minutes ago, whaler said:

Or backfire that causes a herd of horses to run for the hills!

5 minutes ago, Tonik said:

They were still running when I went by. Glad they weren't carrying.

What part of 83 was that on?? I should go back through the footage and see if I can find it.

1 minute ago, DerekClouser said:

What part of 83 was that on?? I should go back through the footage and see if I can find it.

It was just after you passed me like I was going the other way, even though I was doing 90 in the same direction.

24 minutes ago, whaler said:

Can the big VFR still be had new in the US?

Have heard from many people that the 1200 motor may be the best street motor ever.

Only as a leftover with big discounts.  The press murdered it because it's hard to categorize.  It's biggest flaw was the $16k msrp.  Got mine with bags for $7k (slightly used).  Not 1 regret. The big v4 is stupid good.

It was perfect for the gap trip.

• Upvote 3

Tonik:  Now that you've narrowed your choice down to the usual candidates, I'll throw a wrench into the works and suggest at least a passing look at the KTM 990 SMT.  Like a big super-moto with a liter v-twin LC8 motor, about 125-130 HP and 425# wet.  Upright seating, excellent WP suspension, Bosch ABS with Brembos, Marchesini wheels and factory luggage.  I think KTM made the FI model from 2010-2013.  Enough comfort to be great touring bike and enough hooligan personality to keep you amused in the twisties when you feel like either running from the popo or going to jail.

KTM%20990%20SMT%20Limited%20Edition.jpg

FYI--I must be the only guy in the motorcycle community that didn't like the FJR.  Heard all the kudos, read the glowing reports, finally bought one.  Rode it for a couple years and put 15,000 miles on it and wasn't sorry to see it go when it sold.  Riding it in the twisties was a whole lot like mud wrestling with a fat woman:  whole of work for not much fun!

Edited by Bubba