What sportbike should I get.

Tonik

I wouldn't call it a sportbike exactly but the Ducati Multistrada is a helluva bike. Crazy fast motor but comfy enough for long trips. Lot of coin though...

The Z1000 or more touring oriented Ninja 1K are good choices.

Bubba, I had an FJR as well and I thought it was ok but never really gave me that special feeling. Plus, dealing with the fairings when doing oil changes, etc was a PITA. The little clips would fall off into the nether regions of the bike and made a simple task shitty. I kept it a year.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, ScubaCinci said:

I wouldn't call it a sportbike exactly but the Ducati Multistrada is a helluva bike. Crazy fast motor but comfy enough for long trips. Lot of coin though...

The Z1000 or more touring oriented Ninja 1K are good choices.

Bubba, I had an FJR as well and I thought it was ok but never really gave me that special feeling. Plus, dealing with the fairings when doing oil changes, etc was a PITA. The little clips would fall off into the nether regions of the bike and made a simple task shitty. I kept it a year.

Yeah the gen 2 fairings were a bit of a hassle. Gen 3 fairings no longer have this issue. I went from a BMW k-bike to the FJR so it feels nimble to me.

^^^ I really want to ride one of those. I loved my FZ1 back in the day. I asked one of the IP guys if it would be part of the Yamaha demo lineup and he said he was pretty sure there wouldn't be one, they can't even get one for the showroom floor.

Since this will be sort of test flight I am going to assume you wouldn't want to spend too much money upfront on bike and be stuck with it. Used bike below 5ish is safest bet, below 8kish region is Reasonable risk 

I have ridden with you only few, but from that my gut tells me you will not like full on sports bike for sure, ergonomics wise as well as it might even feel twitchy when coming from heavy stable wheel base bike :) and I think you are going to want more torque than hp. I am going to make wild guess that your riding style prolly like mine,  Since I love acceleration more than velocity, as in hit that twisty hard and coming out of the corner screaming then slowing down in straight and not trying to hit the high rev range of in line 4 and maintain three digit in straights. 

Since ur used to these, i am going to assume easier transition to sports bike for you should have, average weight and wheelbase, bigger cc, tourqy motor, abs, upright seating, cruise control, center stand, may be some extra space for donuts etc 

First and best reasonable option, as every one already mentioned easiest transition and much easier to get used to, still a big upgrade in power and handling will be the fjr, seating will feel natural to you since it's very comparable to your current ride, straight up and lowish. Plus cruise control is a must for you due to ton of highway iron butt munching you do on top of twisty. I promise you will not be holding any one up on that if you were doing able to do nasty things to your current big cow. Plus resale is super easy, every time I see one posted in CL it's gone within a week. And whole package slightly better than Connie 14 

second, a step between sane and insane idea, would be arguably the best sporty touring bike of the decade vfr1200, the fit and finish on it miles ahead of even the best bmw I seen, the concept of the bike was miles ahead of the generation it came out. A smallish sport touring rig with shaft, and that v4, just beautiful. The problem here will be a bit more aggressive ergo, even with a riser. But perfectly doable. Resale will be little bit tight as you have to wait for the person who knows about the bike and not guys who follow crappy magazine reviews that the bike received because they didn't know how to approach it. 

And my insane suggestion to you is getting newish zx14 with handle bar risers its upright, weight will be reasonable for you, you can put bags and center stand on it if you like it, comes with tc and abs and good stock suspension for your weight, I really loved the bike. But it was scary as in you are going so fast but you never realize it. Not just straight line, even in twisty it hustled as easy or better than my Vfr. Only trouble area was like tight switch back Or 15 mph corners, but that's still easier than ur current ride. Every time Your looking down at the speedo u see 3 digit but u were thinking u were cruising all this while. The commute from MI to OH and back in a day was around 750 miles a day was easy on that. I sold mine because I wanted to go slow, but your main aim is to go fast. And this bike will get you to your goal faster. Used ones can be had for pretty cheap as brand new ones are sitting for 11K will be hard resell than fjr but not impossible

Speed triple! Or if you're a baller, KTM 1290 Superduke!

I love my ST on the street. Very comfortable, plenty of torque, just a very fun all around bike. Downsides is lack of wind protection and gas mileage sucks. If you've got the money, the Superduke is supposed to be better in every way though. 

2 hours ago, NinjaDoc said:

Only trouble area was like tight switch back Or 15 mph corners, but that's still easier than ur current ride. 

Oh he doesnt have any problem with those on his current ride. You can take my word for it.

Let's make this interesting in the spirit of recent inexplicably interesting sweepstakes of bannings or forum points:

everyone make their singular make-model suggestions and tonik has to test ride them. Regardless of what he buys, he picks the top three and doles out forum points accordingly. Everyone else gets banned for a week. 

Ducati multistrada will get a podium spot; write it in, bitches. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, jbot said:

Let's make this interesting in the spirit of recent inexplicably interesting sweepstakes of bannings or forum points:

everyone make their singular make-model suggestions and tonik has to test ride them. Regardless of what he buys, he picks the top three and doles out forum points accordingly. Everyone else gets banned for a week. 

Ducati multistrada will get a podium spot; write it in, bitches. 

Genius. I will make a new thread.  Now that is a great contest idea.

• Upvote 1

It's very simple...there just needs to have a meet and greet and let Tonik test ride anyone's bike he may be interested in...owner willing of course. If not, it gets settled by feats of strength (or don't show up :D). In exchange, you get to drive his son's Tesla :thefinger:

2 minutes ago, ScubaCinci said:

It's very simple...there just needs to have a meet and greet and let Tonik test ride anyone's bike he may be interested in...owner willing of course. If not, it gets settled by feats of strength (or don't show up :D). In exchange, you get to drive his son's Tesla :thefinger:

I dont want to drive it, I want to have it drive me.

jk. Will it do burnouts?

3 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

I dont want to drive it, I want to have it drive me.

jk. Will it do burnouts?

No, even our Resident Idiot can make it go 0 to 60 in 3.7 seconds.  You just mash and go.  Computer puts max power to the wheels with no spin. And yea, it driving is the epic part...very cool.