Fall Trip To The Gap (or Elsewhere)?

ScubaCinci

I'll try to look at possibilities this weekend when I'm laid up from surgery. I'm good with caravan-ing it and staying a different place each night though that means hitting the twisties etc loaded down with whatever is coming with you. Not a problem for me on the Tenere but may be for others on the sport side of things. Maybe we can have a poll. @Tonik has a lot of good routes.

16 minutes ago, Isaac's Papa said:

We should make a "pro/con" list for base camp versus nomad style vacationing. I'm not convinced a group of bikes is made for nomad travel. That's something that would be awesome solo, or with another bike, but multiple riders with no anchor sounds like a lot of trouble. I'm not opposed to the idea, but I'm definitely not convinced, either. 

Don't have to travel between hotels as a group. Fast people can lead themselves. Anyone wants to go solo for the day can do that too. No different than having a single sleeping point.

I hauled 7 bikes plus myself for 3000 miles. Zero issues, other than @Connie14 pouring beer all over me. If the riders are similar riders its easy. If not they lead themselves.

• Upvote 1

Nomad vs Base Camp to me makes Zero difference. When I get to a hotel I can be unpacked and evetything I need in my room with in 5 min. Same goes for the next morning one trip to the bike and 5 min later I'm ready to roll again.

1 hour ago, Tonik said:

Don't have to travel between hotels as a group. Fast people can lead themselves. Anyone wants to go solo for the day can do that too. No different than having a single sleeping point.

I hauled 7 bikes plus myself for 3000 miles. Zero issues, other than @Connie14 pouring beer all over me. If the riders are similar riders its easy. If not they lead themselves.

That's a more sensible answer :D

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Tonik said:

With your recent banning spree, I could probably get paid to pour a beer on you.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, ScubaCinci said:

Nope, the official name is The Fall Hate Train Trip.

You don't want me in charge...I own a trailer :thefinger:

No way, I tried hearding these ass pirates this spring for two days. I am off duty for several trips.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly, I haven't spent a lot of time thinking about it...I've had a lot going on - surgery, the wife has been out of town during my recovery, work has been a bear, I have my first grandkid due any day, blah blah. My wife leaves town again for 2 weeks this Sunday to (hopefully) be in HI for the birth of said grandkid and I'm back to walking normally and without a boot so I should have the opportunity to throw something together that will work for most if they choose to follow.

The short version -  I've been slacking.:o

I don't know all the good spots as well as some since I've only ridden down there a handful of times while following others so you are welcome to contribute (i.e. specific roads we should hit, places to stay) :D Not to sound all kiss ass but I actually really liked the pace you set on the last fall ride we did. Spirited, yet sane enough to enjoy the scenery and not end up in a ditch. I wish I had gotten more pics of all of us though.