Pregnet rider?

flashesbuck

Let's just say.... For instance, your wife is an motorcycle rider, with a brand new ninja 650, now let's just say she is all of a sudden pregnet with your first child, like 1-2 months..... Would you let here ride? Maybe short rides? 

Again all hypothetical here. 

That's between you and yours in deciding what's safe, and what's not, for your future child.   Inherent danger most anywhere on the roads anyway, but riding is surely less safe than driving a vehicle.   Medically speaking though, I don't know of any problems concerning pregnant females riding motorcycles.

• Upvote 1

there is many more summers to come in future and motorcycle is non perishable commodity Vs  being pregnant is just for the next few months..prolly till next summer only

having said that me and wifey were riding up and down west cost thousands of miles for close to 2 weeks without knowing we were about to be parents :)  all turned out okay, but would never have done it if we knew.

As long as they are still comfortable id say ride on. No different than putting your kid on the back seat when they are old enough to hold on. Yes, there is a elevated danger involved and some might not like their kid on a bike but to each their own. Hell the first time my wife was EVER on the back of a bike with me is when she was 7 months prego for our oldest.  

• Upvote 1

My wife stopped riding as soon as she got pregnant. She sold her bike almost immediately. Made me sell mine when the second was born. She has never really ridden since. The couple of times I have had her out since she okayed me to get a bike again she is deathly afraid. It does not matter if she is driving or riding as a passenger she constantly thinks the worse. Kind of sucks, she used be willing to crank up to triple digits right along with me on her cbr. Now she's afraid to pull out of the driveway on a bike. Not sure I would encourage riding pregnant but as 2tall stated my kids love to ride with me and I take them any chance I can when mom is not around to shut the fun down. Wish I could turn the mom switch off at times for my wife. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, flashesbuck said:

Let's just say.... For instance, your wife is an motorcycle rider, with a brand new ninja 650, now let's just say she is all of a sudden pregnet with your first child, like 1-2 months..... Would you let here ride? Maybe short rides? 

Again all hypothetical here. 

Nope.  For the same reason I won't ride my kids on my bike until they're 10.

I accept the risks of riding.  I won't take a passenger unless they are also capable of accepting those risks.

• Upvote 2

everyone has to make their own choice in considering "acceptable risk".  Consult your OB.  Other than the obvious hazard of trauma from a crash and fall/impact, there's a lot of high frequency vibration right on the taint train with a stop at the baby cave and connecting jiblets.  Do I know of any dangers of shaking the womb around with a babby inside?  I dunno.  I mean, docs say whatever physical activity you did pre-preggasaurus is supposedly fine post-parasite latching, so I don't see why it would matter but I'm no doctor.

So, in short, do what you want as long as you're willing to accept the risk and are well informed of said risks.

On September 13, 2016 at 2:54 PM, bowdog said:

Each person is going to have there own opinion on this....When we first got pregnant the Dr did not even want my wife riding her 4 wheeler around camp.

Docs' first duty is "do no harm."  Saying, "sure, ride all you want" would certainly increase the odds of harm. 

My wife wouldn't throw a leg over a bike while pregnant, and now that we're parents of two (as of 2 weeks ago), we operate like the president and the VP: never in the same dangerous situation, so the kids have one of us left to pick up the pieces. 

It's morbid to think about... Life is for living.  I have no plan to stop riding.  That's not to say I won't take an extended break if/when spending time with my girls is keeping me off the bike anyway.  I'd obviously prefer to just bring them to the track, but I can't make them love riding  

I had 7 month preggers wife (with daughter) on the back of a bike at a very high rate of speed. Daughter is an absolute dare Devil ever since born. Loves being tossed around and now she tries to do wheelies on her strider.

son... Never took preggers wife and he just looks scared whenever he gets tossed around.

I say no. Wouldn't be upset if you did unless it was my daughter and grandkid.  It's definitely a personal choice. I'm the guy that won't even take mother's with young children for a ride. Not that I'm shaky, had some close calls but never wrecked a street bike. Key word being street.

If you want to have some fun with the relatives though, when they ask you if you've picked out a name yet tell them if it's a boy that you're thinking of naming him Lurch.  My aunt's eyes rolled in the back of her head and she took a couple steps back, I thought she was going to faint till I told her I was just kidding.

Edited by Lawrence1

my current #2 name for my son is "nacho".  Although, I think "winter" would also be an excellent name, so I'll throw that to the top of the list pile.  "Winter is coming" would work for SOOOOO many things, even later in life.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

There will be a point during the pregnancy where the child will no longer be protected by gear.  I'd ask for the advice of a bike-friendly OB.

For me, once there was a obvious baby bump I'd be advising against riding simply because the gear won't protect against a blunt force impact to the belly.  But I'm not a doctor, nor a woman, so my opinion is worth less than what you paid for it.

I had my son riding on the back of my bike at age 6 or 7.  I got hated on for that by many folks.  Oh well.

Hypothetical congratulations, BTW.  :-)

Edited by Scruit
  • Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

Things are going well still!!! We have officially announced it to everyone now. As for my wife riding. She has been so sick with morning sickness she couldn't get on a bike if she wanted to. She also swelled up very quickly and does not fit into her gear (right now). 

How do you new father figures make time to go for rides with out young kids around? We each have our own bikes and im trying to think of crafty ways so that i can get my wife away from the new baby for a bike ride every once in awhile.