3d printing your own ride?

Eric LeClair

Okay I've personally tried 3d printing like little candle holders and stuff but never a full on bike.

This is pretty cool.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/the-worlds-first-3d-printed-steel-bike-frame-is-like-nothing-youve-seen-before-210728

Do you think we're not that far away from 3d printing full on bikes with working engines, etc?

I've already ran into some of these files online and they look pretty real to me.

https://pinshape.com/items/16222-3d-printed-scooter-benzin-misch-behalter-halter

Has anyone tried to make their own bike parts or dare I ask . . . your entire ride?

• Upvote 1

Never considered  3D ing my own parts.  Interesting concept though.  Being an old fart and not always up on the latest and greatest, is the material used like a metallic thread?  What about tensile strength?  Expansion/contraction rates between the newly printed part, and a conventional engine parts/pieces?  Could further machining, polishing be performed?  Give me time; I'm sure I can (and will) raise more questions.

We have several pretty fancy ones at work.  Not sure how you would make engine parts that wouldn't melt considering you have to melt the plastic to make the part...seems like a Catch 22.  And I really hate the phrase 3d 'printing'.  It isn't printing, its cool as hell and very useful, but it isn't printing.

Told you I was an old fart.

Just what do you call it then?  I'm thinking 3Ding (better?) oil pumps for old Harleys, tool pieces...a lot of riders think they're stuck with whatever the factory or aftermarket offers.  Some of it decent; some of it sucks.  After bolting on enough less than satisfactory parts, I've come to realize there's IS a better way...one of these days I'm going to get lucky and score a lathe.  Or a 3D machine if the technology advances enough.