Fork oil

Tonik

1 minute ago, CrazySkullCrusher said:

nah, it'll start squirting up out of the seals eventually. 

That's a good point, he may very well need a rebuild.

Edited by Tonik

1 minute ago, Isaac's Papa said:

Liquid sandpaper inside those forks right now. 

Yea. I am looking at them online.  I do not want to rebuild these things for this guy, looks like a total PITA.

Just now, JustinNck1 said:

20k miles and just over 2 years old, my fork oil looked black. I think I am going to do a fork oil swap after each season.

I do it each year now for the same reason.  2 years with the miles folks like you and I do is too long.  And besides the dirt it really makes a difference in how the front handles.

12 minutes ago, Tonik said:

I do it each year now for the same reason.  2 years with the miles folks like you and I do is too long.  And besides the dirt it really makes a difference in how the front handles.

Ma Kawi says 3 years or 20k miles in my shop manual. Why I figure ill do it every 2

Just now, 2talltim said:

Ma Kawi says 3 years or 20k miles in my shop manual. Why I figure ill do it every 2

Are you only doing 10K per year, or are you not doing it often enough.  Rhetorical question, I know the answer.

Have never had oil leak after a change, but have had old oil cause leaks. The black is suspended metal, specifically teflon and brass/copper from the bushings.

what is it?  Seals are easy while changing fluid.

Just now, Tonik said:

Are you only doing 10K per year, or are you not doing it often enough.  Rhetorical question, I know the answer.

Yea about 10k a year and hence why 2 year at 20k should be sufficient according to MaKaw. Is that rhetorical answer? :lol: I'll prob have more than that this year but 10k has been my average since ive owned this bike.

Just now, 2talltim said:

Yea about 10k a year and hence why 2 year at 20k should be sufficient according to MaKaw. Is that rhetorical answer? :lol: I'll prob have more than that this year but 10k has been my average since ive owned this bike.

My apologies, I thought you were in the 15 to 20k range with the rest of us hardcore riders.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, whaler said:

Have never had oil leak after a change, but have had old oil cause leaks. The black is suspended metal, specifically teflon and brass/copper from the bushings.

I didn't change them this go round, but ill admit its a gamble. But I did a extensive inspection and cleaning of them.

Just now, Tonik said:

My apologies, I thought you were in the 15 to 20k range with the rest of us hardcore riders.

I would be if I commuted but I don't, my bike dosnt leave the garage for less than 100 miles at a time.

6 minutes ago, whaler said:

It's an f'ing Buell. 2004 XB9. Weird ass looking setup, half cruiser fork like I have 1/4 cartridge and 1/4 dunno wtf it is.

Edited by Tonik

3 hours ago, Tonik said:

Why don't forks come with oil filters?

Some old honda's spec transmission fluid.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, JustinNck1 said:

20k miles and just over 2 years old, my fork oil looked black. I think I am going to do a fork oil swap after each season.

Same here.  Last couple rides of the year really show how bad they get.  Oil changed every year, rebuild every other, which ends up being a little too long, but I'm not grounding the bike in the middle of good riding weather.  Rear shock gets a rebuild every other year, again a little too long. 

Just now, PhilD'oh! said:

Same here.  Last couple rides of the year really show how bad they get.  Oil changed every year, rebuild every other, which ends up being a little too long, but I'm not grounding the bike in the middle of good riding weather.  Rear shock gets a rebuild every other year, again a little too long. 

You running an Ohlins or a Penske?